Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Who's got the guards on already then?
  • cookeaa

My commuter is all guarded up now after I got pissed on last Wednesdays ride home.

Anyone else bothered yet or am I the only one who believes summer is dead and gone now?

dabble
    Free Member

Put mine on this morning after getting a soggy bottom on the way to work.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

First autumnal ride on the singlespeed on Saturday ( which is used for riding home to work during the week) with its new mud x’s, front and rear sprocket and ring and new chain too. Mud guards also on for the next 6 months. Wasn’t as muddy as the rain lead me to believe from the lashing on Friday we had.

mrmo
    Free Member

road bike has had them for a couple of weeks now. No point in defying reality. It will be cold and damp for the next 6 months.

Lights are on the road bike as well. getting a bit gloomy first thing in the morning, and more so if cloudy.

eskay

They stay on all year round on my commuter.

zilog6128

They stay on all year round on my commuter.

Likewise. SKS Chromoplastic so weight not an issue. Base layer on for the first time today though. Definitely getting a bit nippy in the mornings now!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yep.
    Road bike briefly went guradless when I tried it out as a ‘cross bike this summer (greta fun!) but its back to full rpotection.

MTB hardtail has triple protection at the moment: Crud-guard on the back, Fender-bender on the forks, and now has the full THE fender on too, but that’s going to be replaced with a crud-cratcher to see how it goes.

Then need to get the full-sus setup, but as I don’t have tyres that can cope with non-dry trails on it, that will have to wait…

tomaso
    Free Member

Mudguards are fitted to both the commuter and mountain bike permanently. Its never dry up north.

rOcKeTdOg

All year round in commuter here too, considering a mud hugger for the mtb as they reckon it’ll fit a 29er

tonyd

Almost put them on last week, looked out the window, picked up the car keys! They’re going on this week though, and the lights are charging too.

cookeaa

Yep my Commuter is a fixie and thus largely weather proof, but the Qty of road spray is increasing, I’m determined to keep commuting on the fixie as much as possible through winter this year…

I’ve had the lights on for a couple of weeks, and the layers have been increased for the mornings lately. The weather had mostly been on my side until last week. There’s no getting around the fact now, its autumn and it will be increasingly wet and cold for the next 6 months.

First Night ride of the season on the SS-MTB last night too, I might fit a crud catcher or a mucky-nutz type guard, but that’ll be it.
    I prefer to rely on mud proofing the rider rather than the bike for winter MTBing, it’s different on the road as a close fitting guard is a good way to keep the spray off and it won’t get filled with crap, but close fitting guards are a non-starter on the MTB and loose fitting, whale tail type ones are pretty ineffective and more likely to get knocked / broken (IMO of course)…

flatpat
    Free Member

Just put in a Muckynutz order. Going to try one on the back to shield the suspension + a new rear one.

As cookeaa says, I break the rear “whale type” ones fairly regularly. However I do prefer the minimal protection of mudguards to sweating buckets in waterproof shorts/trousers.

therealhoops
    Free Member

went on last Wednesday and will probably remain on for the next 6months.

TRH 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Who's got the guards on already then?’ is closed to new replies.