Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Who's got foam grips?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I’m curious, the weight is an obvious plus but I imagine the grippiness not to be that of a gummy rubbery grip. I use well worn ODI ruffians (nice and sticky) but the new build has me questioning my options.

I’m particularly interested to know what they’re like on a rigid.

Lock-ons on a carbon bar aren’t too different weight wise to foam on an al bar. Foam+carbon=weenie but is this at the expense of control?

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve used Titec Pork Rinds, Ritchey WCS, Posh Bikes nitrile foam, Bontrager Race X Lite and XXX Lites, never had any problems with grip.

Currently use XXX Lites, and find them spot on.

teasel
    Free Member

I use Ritchey WCS on a rigid and they’re fine even when wet. Before I changed the last pair they were getting a bit smooth but even then I had no issues with slippage.

RustySpanner

Another vote for the Ritchey ones. Very comfy, grippy, don’t slip.
    Cheap too.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Foam grips came on a new bike a few years ago. When I was buying it told the guy down at the LBS if the grips were rubbish I’d be coming back for a free “normal” grip replacement, he agreed to get the sale.

And I’ve never been back …. they are fine.

br
    Free Member

On-One sell foam lock-ons, light and grippy – impressed with them so far.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BTOOFLOG/on_one_half_bob_lock_on_foam_grips

HermanShake
    Free Member

What about the FRM one’s at On-One?

I’m finding it hard to resist more ruffians, but every little helps!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got the richey ones too, plenty of grip, and comfortable.

Wouldn’t bother with lock ons etc, you dont save any weight then, just use foam grips and a bit of glue.

neil853
    Free Member

anybody tried the superstar ones?

njee20
    Free Member

As an aside there are 2 Ritchey ones – hexagonal ones and ‘ergo’ ones with a bulge. I’ve only owned the hexagonal ones, have tried the ergo ones and didn’t like them. YMMV.

cp

+1 on one half bob – really good for me.

woody2000

I use the on-one foam grips, my only gripe is that the foam is rolling off the plastic inner and I have to keep working back onto the inner. Comfy though (this is on a commute bike) and wet grip seems good.

Clobber
    Free Member

I use the ritchey’s and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were, mine have the bulge which I really like…

cp

woody2000 – a dab of super glue between the foam and the holder worked a treat on a pair I had that did that.

thomthumb
    Free Member

ESI silicone. they’re awesome.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Ritchey WCS on all my MTB’s for the past 10+ years. I wouldn’t choose anything else.

fandango
    Free Member

Ritchey ergo’s here… because they were cheap. Have found them to be excellent!

daver27
    Free Member

ritchey do lock on foam WCS grips….

avdave2

I’ve only owned the hexagonal ones, have tried the ergo ones and didn’t like them

I use the ritchey’s and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were, mine have the bulge which I really like..

I’ve got the ones with the bulge and only realised after a couple of rides I had one on the wrong way round. 😳

They are very good, either way round and I’ll be buying another set for my rigid bike which needs a bit more comfort at the front.

aracer
    Free Member

I have Bonty X-Lite and XXX-Lite. Really love the X-Lite – far prefer them to what I had on before. However I wouldn’t buy the XXX-Lite again – just too thin for me.

paddy0091
    Free Member

XXX-Lites + Gripshift

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, I use the Superstar ones. They are very similar feel to the Ritchey ones that I used to use. They’re a bit heavier but cheaper. Both comfy, grippy in the wet or dry. Fine.

I’ve also tried the KCNC ones which weigh something daft like 12g. I wouldn’t say these were uncomfortable but were very hard and quite noticeable. They also didn’t respond well to being removed and refitted as they stretched irreversibly. They started slipping in the wet after refitting.

I’ve had no problems removing and refitting the Ritchey and Superstar ones though. Strong hair spray does the trick as they’re a stretchy fit on the bars, more so than rubber ones.

I wouldn’t go back to rubber ones.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Ritchey WCS grips here, my mates laugh at me but i love em. They dont know what they are missing.

onandon
    Free Member

Wcs for me. I’ve used most of what have been listed on this thread other than the Bontragers. They look good so will find their way onto one of my bikes soon.

Can’t beat foam grips.
    For the record, I’ve used ESI and didn’t rate them at all.

goodgrief
    Free Member

esi for me, love them. grippy when dry, grippier when wet. last forever if you don’t catch them on sharp things.

scant
    Free Member

esi again.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

If you want to win some FREE esi grips, have a look here

Gear Movement Cycling team

Just have to press the “like” button on the facebook page.

grtdkad

I have used Bonty xxxLite and KCNC grips.
    Both very light (and cheap tbh)

Would recommend either 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

I switched to the ESI grips for my race bike after using Ritcheys. I have to say that the ESIs are much better for me for comfort and at dampening trail buzz. They also last longer than the Ritchey grips too which rip really easily IME.

Taff
    Free Member

Always used ruffians on the dh and street bikes. Then moved to some slight lighter models ie Spesh’s version. Now got foam grips. Get some chunky ones and take sandpaper to them straight away. Mine are nice and grippy although a bit narrow for winter gloves

2POC

I use ESI and they’re most excellent. Light, sticky what more do you want?

HermanShake
    Free Member

I caved and went for On-One’s £9.99 Ruffians 😳 I don’t fancy gluing/cutting grips off a carbon bar. But I do want to try them out.

I think I’ll get my setup dialled first and then scratch the upgrade itch with some foamies further down the line.

KCNC are 12g from XCracer and only £8.49. They may be the next port of call.

aa
    Free Member

i use ritchey wcs on rigid with steel bar.

all’s super, except they get a little hot in summer…

kiwijohn

I replaced my WCS Ritcheys with Crankbros lock on foam grips. Big mistake. The Ritcheys are so much more comfortable.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Another for ESI.

Wally

ESI are fab – On all my bikes.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Who's got foam grips?’ is closed to new replies.