Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Who’s got a Trek EX8? The WSD is on my shortlist and I’m after your thoughts!
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Sorry to ask again about another full suss bike, but the Trek Fuel EX8 WSD was the original bike I looked at, and I’m still quite tempted (along with a few others).

So was just wondering if there are any EX8 owners out there and how you find the bike?

Just looking for some info on people find it performs and holds up slightly more long term. I hear it climbs well but how well does it descend?

Specially I’m interested in how light the frame is? What weight could I get it to with light wheels and XT kit do you reckon?

Oh and as anyone managed to get their lbs to swap the fork for a bolt thru version at a little added cost?

Anyway, any thoughts/advice much appreicated. Cheers!

solamanda
    Free Member

I have a (mens) EX 8. I come from a DH background and find the bike is very good downhill, very balanced. I was worried about the QR fork but it feels easily as stiff as a bolt through pike for normal xc riding, the standard fork is very very good. This is coming from someone used to dual crown dh forks.

The standard wheels are light, run them with the tubeless kit and the bike feels very efficient.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

That’s interesting re the fork… would it hold up on the faster descents at trail centres do you reckon? I go reasonably quick downhill* (not just for a girl I hasten to add :D) and have felt my 2007 140 fox floats (currently stepped down to 110) flex a bit on fast turns…

(*Although I am no downhiller and weight about 8 stone in riding gear)

solamanda
    Free Member

I’m 13 stone and can’t feel a problem with the stiffness of the fork. Does the job and don’t notice it work, which usually is a sign of a good setup. Requires very little fiddling to get the fork to work well.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Mrs forgotmename has the wsd ex8 and loves it, she had a ladies stumpy before and says she finds it faster and more comfy, she kept her spesh ladies saddle tho, it climbs v well, she has a 15.5 inch and is 5ft 7in, the bike isnt that light tho, its 28lb, i think the fork is a standard fox 32 rl with 130mm travel and works v well, you can get the weight down to 26.5- 27lb quite easily, ive got ex9 with pikes on and xtr n king bits and depending on tyres n tubes its 27.4 and 28lb, and its 18.5 inch, I too think the bike descends very well indeed.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys, sounds like a couple of good recommendations! I reckon I could loose a couple of lbs easily by transferring my wheels, cranks and other bits. I guess as always I just need to try and get a test ride…

Any other comments very welcome though. thanks!

snakebite
    Free Member

I have an EX9 now, had it a couple of weeks and am lovin it! My LBS being a main Trek dealer swapped a few parts for me-no problem at all. Maybe drop em a line tomorrow when they are open, they are very accommodating and will deliver anywhere……more or less. In fact a couple of Remedys went to Germany last month, delivered personally!

drop Craig an email for details and changes and a competitive price 😀

snakebite
    Free Member

craig@swinnertoncycles.co.uk dunno what I did there….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Who’s got a Trek EX8? The WSD is on my shortlist and I’m after your thoughts!’ is closed to new replies.