Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • whos got a retro mtb ?
  • sefton
    Free Member

so whos got a retro bike?

lets see your pics

do you use it and how is it?

IHN

No pics, but I have a ’95 Marin that’s been through a number of guises; my first MTB (rigid), then it got some suspension forks (which, frankly, ruined it), then it was a singlespeed, a slick-tyred commuter, fugly pub/dog-walking bike, and is now a 1×9 with fattish (2.3) tyres.

Used it for the HONC this year, which was the first ‘mountain bike’ ride I’d done on it for years. It was a hoot 🙂

adi66
    Free Member

ME !

but Photobucket is down at the Mo so I can’t pop any pics up … booo 🙁

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My 1979 cruiser klunker thing singlespeed pointless bike, doesn’t get out very often and awful to ride, but looks nice

mattbee

My 1992 Klein Fervour. Gets ridden as you can see. Also just picked up a late 70’s LeJaune road frame to build up…..

soma_rich
    Free Member

my 92 Kona Cindercone is currently getting ridden more than my mountain bike. Its in need of a good service as the wet commutes have destroyed the chain and cassette.

Origonal 92 Suntour shifters and rear mech!

messiah
    Free Member

I built up an awesome Dave Lloyd CATS WISKAS a few years ago… I soon started breaking bits and decided that one of us was too old for proper mountain biking 😆

I love looking at old bikes but I would not let me ride them (except my 1995 Kona Explosif but that’s because I’m trying to break it 😈 … again… 😈 ).

racefaceec90

ah i love retro bikes (don’t have one unfortunately 🙁

TiRed

My son raced AYTE on his Marin (it’s one year younger than him).

ourmaninthenorth

1992 Kona Lava Dome. Now doing all rounder duty with almost all original parts.

Seven Speed Hero

slowjo
    Free Member

I have/had an M Trax ‘titanium tubing’ MTB, probably something like 1990. It had the coolest pair of forks on the planet, ultra light and very directional.

I took the bike into my LBS and asked them to do some work on the wheels. When I called about picking it up they were a bit hesitant and tried to put me off. I was only getting one chance to go anywhere near the shop for a week or so, so I popped in to pick it up. It seems that someone had come in, admired the fork and the prat in the shop took it off there and then, and sold it! I was extremely unhappy and demanded its return, told them they should contact the guy and get it back. It seems that he was a USAF person and had just rotated back home so I was left with a bike and no fork. They put a cheap RST suss fork on and had the cheek to try and charge me for it. Needless to say, I declined to pay and told them to take me to court. Strangely enough they didn’t!

Anyway, I kinda went off the bike then and decided to build it back up for my Dad to have, as he didn’t have a bike.

I was round theirs the other day and there it was, a little dusty but otherwise practically unridden since I gave it to him. As he is in his 80s now, and largely of restricted mobility. I can’t see him riding it again. I have got designs on it once more, maybe try and source a replacement fork etc. I have the stem (about 160mm, flexy, noodliness of it) but the bars died on me when I was still riding it.

Maybe I’ll have words with him when I go over next, or just wait until he decides it is taking up too much room.

Ironically, the fact that I was messed about by the LBS means it is still in one piece. Had I kept it, I’d probably have scrapped it by now.

matttromans
    Free Member

Haven’t got any pics with me, but have just finished building a 95 Lava Dome up. I picked the frame up fairly cheaply off of Retrobike, along with some triple butted P2’s. The rest is a mix of bits from the spares box, mostly XT, 1×9, along with some old Hope hubs on mavic 719’s. Just bought some conti Travel Contacts for it. Use it for commuting mainly, but going to fit a rack and mud-guards for a bit of light touring. Absolutely love it, great fun to ride and nice and light.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Me, too many of them:

92 Kona Cindercone with Noleen Link forks (working and ridden on the Pootle)
    02 Corratec Team Bow (under construction frame being polished very very slowly!)
    ?? Orbea – nearly complete superlight SS hack about bike
    ?? Rock Lobster – awaiting the frame to be delivered and may be for MrsCat
    ?? Marin Bobcat Trail – picking up Sunday F*** knows why I bought it!

birky
    Free Member

1994 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oh man, that 92 Lava Dome… I saved up and bought one of them..
    Loved it.

Then some scrote knicked it. 😥

mtbfix

My 1996 Dekerf Generation

A few inconsistent parts as I was uninclined to pay the premium for a Cattleprod stem.

P20

My P20. It’s been on here numerous times before, but you did ask!

Ritchey P20 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

messiah
    Free Member

Oooh I do like that P20… and with flat bars and bar ends it looks great 8)

Rightyho… I’m going to take the “experiment” risers of my Explosif and put the flat bars and bar ends back on… it feels (and looks) wrong with risers (IMHO etc etc). :mrgreen:

colournoise

1997 Lee Cooper.

Only the frame is left from that era. The brakes (LX with DX levers) are a couple of years younger, and everything else is more recent garage parts bin or internet sale stuff.

Currently running SS and 1.6 City Jets for road and ‘canal path’ duties.

Don’t get out on it much, but did a windy 65km at the weekend.

Still got my same-era Quadra 21s but am too scared to put them back on it.

slainte ➡ rob

DaveRambo

I have a ’93 team Marin – with Pace RC35 AB forks.

After I bought my Yeti ASR I didn’t ride it for a while until one weekend when it called me. It reminded me why it was my only bike for donkeys years – I love it.

Keando

My ’94 Kilauea 🙂

and

bruneep

1998 (i think) Coyote HT4 ultralight.

ransos
    Free Member

Posted this before, but here’s my ’92 Breezer Storm. Dry summer pootles only…

Also, my ’93 Marin Eldridge Grade, my commuter:

dlr

Nice Ransos! Here is my 1992 Lightning Pro (if this image works), owned it since new

andysblacksoul
    Free Member

1991 Specialized Hardrock, inherited from a family member and revived as 48/18 Singlespeed, DX V-brakes and a road stem…

Used for road training, pub trips, pootling etc…

smiff
    Free Member

have an old Marin in concrete/flouro colours also… anyone know any short forks that won’t ruin it? it’s way too slack around 65deg the steering feels crap!

amazing how many of these 90s Marins/Konas survive, and it has an 1-1/8 headset, so ahead of its time 😉

Woody
    Free Member

My ’95 Lava Dome (19″) which has to go before house move. They are just so nice to ride 😀 Also got a ’94 Marin Bear Valley
    £90 frame, forks, headset and seatpost if anyone interested.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Loving the Breezer and the old Konas – that Cinder Cone is lovely Rich! I’ve usually a retro resto project of some sort on the go – currently between projects and on the lookout for the next one. They’re always tiny and super hard to find which makes no sense as I don’t hang onto them for too long so size is immaterial really. Maybe I’ll go for something larger next and get papadirt to do the test-riding 😕

Just sold this lovely little Hahanna . . .

Gonna be a hard act to follow.

sheephills
    Free Member

Really nice builds, and good to se they are being used..
    The kona p2 fork, nicest fork ever 🙂 imo

stevehine

Where are you Woody ? I may be very tempted by that; I’ve got a Fire Mountain as a donor bike but it’s the wifes old bike and only a 15.5″ frame; a tad too small !

matttromans
    Free Member

Woody – what chain device are you running on that? Thats exactly the same as my Lava Dome, tried fitting a Superstar device, but the seat tube is to narrow? They’re great to ride aren’t they?! Don’t sell it!

mintimperial

here’s my ’92 Breezer Storm

I had one of those. It was stolen. I’ve never really got over it. 🙁

Still ride the 1995 Marin Pine Mountain that replaced it, though.

ourmaninthenorth

Oh man, that 92 Lava Dome… I saved up and bought one of them..

Same. Was a lot of saving for a 15 year old (500 quid back then). It’s had all sorts of guises, but now it’s happy as a guarded up baby trailer tower and canal-side cruiser.

ransos
    Free Member

I had one of those. It was stolen. I’ve never really got over it.

Still ride the 1995 Marin Pine Mountain that replaced it, though.

It’s a lovely bike, but to be honest, my Marin handles and rides better.

mattjg
    Free Member

What were those old Marins with grey frames and dayglo green forks? Quite fancy one of them.

swamp_boy

1992 Raleigh Dyna Tech, I have pics, but no way to post them, mainly red with monochrome camo type pattern on the 3 main tubes. Owned it from new I still have the card saying it was assembled by Rex Johnson in the special products division. Only original bits now are the frame, cranks and front mech, still 3×7 but has front suspension and discs both ends rear mount put on by Argos in Bristol, fine job looks like it was made that way but don’t tell anyone on Retrobike.

Northwind

I suppose I do, 91 Carrera Krakatoa. But it’s been repainted and has lots of cheap modern kit on it to turn it into an indestructible commuter. It’s absolutely rubbish offroad, then again, so are most old bikes.

Woody
    Free Member

stevehine I’m in Durham.

mattromans – It’s a Paul Chain keeper. Only on there as I was going to run it 1 x 8 then changed my mind and went s/s, so don’t really need it.

AndyF1
    Free Member

1996 sunn 5000r.. sold it a short while ago. It looked better than it was to ride.

rOcKeTdOg

1997 P7

thetford by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘whos got a retro mtb ?’ is closed to new replies.