Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Who's got a new shape Peugeot Partner / Citroen Berlingo?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Im buying a new van, got a Mk7 Transit, but meed something for when thats in use.

Ive had the original Peugeot Partner, then the next facelift Berlingo. The 1.9d then the 2.0hdi. Both were great, the hdi engine was far more refined.

Has anyone got the latest shape Partner or Berlingo, and care to comment on how it is to own and drive? Ive got a test drive of a new 1.6hdi 92ps professional on Monday.

Cheers

Ricks

Ambrose

I’ve got one, it’s great. It’s not fast or good looking but does everything it should do and does it well. I have the XTR multispace and have lined the back with rubber matting. I have left one seat in the rear but can still fit three people, their bikes and their weekend kit. And the dog.

Rear tyre wear is more rapid than I’d normally expect.
    It has ‘pulsed wiring’? so wiring in a trailer board socket was a faff.
    A fuel pressure sensor went at 70,0000 miles.

Best bit though is that you can slide the rear doors open and drive around letting the passengers pretend they are in a helicopter 😉

maccruiskeen

If you’re tall you might not get on well with the pedal positions in the new shaped berlingos – i don’t find them anywhere near as comfy to drive as the old ones (although I’ve only driven the new shape in van form, I don’t know if the cars have better seat adjustment)

Ambrose

I’m 6’4″, I seem to fit OK.

rickon
    Free Member

The big question for me is are they as good to own as a VW Caddy. Thatd be the 92 partner vs the 102 caddy, although the torque on the 75ps caddy is higher than that 92 partner…..

ciderinsport
    Free Member

3 people, 3 fatbikes and associated stuff go in mine regularly!

No problems in 2 +1/2 years / 25k – except i closed the boot with my foot, and the realised how delicate the metal was 😯

Easy to pop back out though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Exterior more tinny , but based on all the caddys i looked at have interior trim hanging off – gear box gator , door cards , window winders to name a few , the interiors more robust ( if not more basic also)

curvature
    Free Member

I bought one for my business a year ago.

It’s the basic 1.6 Diesel engine but a high model specification so cones with aircon, Bluetooth, SatNav etc.

25000 miles and if has averaged 53mpg. It has just had its first set of new tyres which was £280 for the full set of Michelins.

Don’t pay the list price. We got ours for just over £9k including metallic paint, mats, ply lining and the servicing contract.

Would I buy another? Yes

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Interesting my car has just died and I posted another thread about recommendations as I was looking at a Berlingo! The amount of people who are saying no! But this thread is useful found a 2009 with 50,000 for £5300 may go look at it tomorrow. Any thoughts from this thread? Thanks. Sorry rut for the hijack.

backinireland
    Free Member

Listen for injector seals going

muzz
    Free Member

don’t get the newer one with the 1.6hdi, get an older one with the 2.0hdi or 1.9d engine

IA

Has anyone got the latest shape Partner or Berlingo, and care to comment on how it is to own and drive? Ive got a test drive of a new 1.6hdi 92ps professional on Monday.

Got the car VTR version with that engine, had it since 09. As above, don’t pay list – some good discounts with a bit of a haggle.

As per everyone else above, love it. I find it’s especially good for me being 6’4″ tall. I also see worse wear on the back tyres than the front, but they’re by no means bad. I got the wear I’d expect on the backs, and the fronts last ages IME.

Drives much nicer than the old style, and being slightly wider makes a significant difference in the sort of crap you can lug around in the back.

2009 with 50,000 for £5300 may go look at it tomorrow.

That sounds a bit pricey, depending on spec. In ’09 when I was getting mine was scrappage scheme times when they were desperate to sell cars, I got about 1/3 off list on mine….I’d be haggling assuming that one was the same. Check the tyres, probably on the 2nd set but getting worn.

godzilla
    Free Member

I drive a few, from the basic van the the XTR, my only gripe is that everything you put on the seat or in the cubby hole above the CD ends up on the floor its the most annoying quirk ever.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“don’t get the newer one with the 1.6hdi, get an older one with the 2.0hdi or 1.9d engine”

Good luck doing that on a “new”van

The 1.6 hdi isnt a bad engine but the complainers are loud. Verifiable quality sevice history is everything with the 1.6. I would buy one but only if it had every service accounted for – with reciepts raer than a stamp…..

Lotta reasons only to buy a “new” 1.6 and look after it from new ill be honest.

Im greedy , our house runs 2 mk2 1.9d’s one in multispace and one in van format. Both needed little bits of work here and there but nothing you wouldnt expect on a 100k old car

wolfenstein
    Free Member

got one 6mos ago the berlingo van, looked for pre-reg from your dealer you could save loads of cash for a brand new van and spend it to your bike instead. can fit 3 bikes all wheels on…. you just have to angle the front wheel a bit. also I have spent about £200+ for sound deadening .. well, drives like a van which is shitty feeling if you just drove a car all your life. i got the 1.6hdi and on 5K mileage now, nothing falls apart yet..might need to top up engine oil and felt van veered more to the left for some reason (will have to take this back to the dealer to sort it out)… 5speed I dont like as well 2500rpm on 70mph 👿 ..cannot insure and tax as private car even it I only use it to carry bike from home to trail centre… should have just kept my ford focus 😐

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Just see Peugeot bipper teepee anyone had experience of these? £30 tax cheaper to buy second hand???

IA

the cubby hole above the CD ends up on the floor its the most annoying quirk ever.

Pro-tip: I put a ridge of Sugru along the front of the cubby hole, means stuff I put in there can’t slide out.

Just see Peugeot bipper teepee anyone had experience of these? £30 tax cheaper to buy second hand???

Much smaller vehicle, you’ll not be putting bikes in there complete. Same as a Citroen Nemo.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

M-c ISTR from when I was looking that the lower spec lacked some of the things I wanted, and there’s a lot less bike room in the back.

The Bling has a handy range of little pockets for storage, for those of you who collect triangular CDs. They aren’t much use for the rest of us. A multi-socket gadget wedges securely into the slot above the CD player.

StuE
    Free Member

Worst driving position of any van I have driven,much worse than the old Berlingo .I got bikes in a Bipper without removing wheels

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yeah I looked at bipper it is small! Mr MC’s orange is 150cm with front wheel off.. think Bipper is 135cm! So StuE I guess it depends on the size of your bike!!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As someone on here said previously about a Berlingo, if you take the bike wheels out, raise the saddle and put the bike in sideways, upside down: the dropouts are then in the extra space by the windows.

In case it helps.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m quite happy that the bikes will fit in the Berlingo with the seats down I think, just was looking at other options. Like the Peugeot Partner Tepee but seems to be a little more expensive, although for that extra cost you do get somethign newer with less mileage.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The other thing about a Bling, the back seats come out. Some sales people don’t know this. Move the front seats to make room, tilt the back seat fulley forward, then slowly back while pulling up. The double seat is rather heavy, a bit difficult to get back in place on one’s tod.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The other thing about a Bling, the back seats come out. Some sales people don’t know this. Move the front seats to make room, tilt the back seat fulley forward, then slowly back while pulling up. The double seat is rather heavy, a bit difficult to get back in place on one’s tod.”

this is the best thing about the mk3.
    i have to use tools to take mine out 🙁

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It has been narrowed down to
    Citroen Berlingo
    Pegueot Bipper Tepee
    Fiat Doblo … I think!

rickon
    Free Member

The bipper is a very different vehicle and use case. Its more noisy at motorway speeds, and best suited to town driving. Whereas the Berlingo/Partner is better on longer trips, and with the higher bhp.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Berlingo/partner yes… Nemo/bipper NO… Vauxhall/fiat engine isn’t great

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

But you’d stay away from the 1.6 diesel HDI engin so go petrol???

northernmatt

I know it’s been said but there nothing wrong with the 1.6hdi engine as long as it’s been looked after well and you can verify it all. I did read somewhere about them sorting the problem from 2010 models onwards but that may be bobbins.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If your milage is 10k or less i would go for petrol. But i wouldnt actively avoid the hdi at all.

Wally

I love my old Partner HDI – pulls really well and – touch wood 130K and going as good as new.

IA

stay away from the 1.6 diesel HDI engin so go petrol???

I’ve driven both, and from a usage point of view, the diesel drives much nicer (more pull) than the petrol, regardless of economy. I have the HDI mostly as it drives better, it’s neither here nor there economically for me. Though I guess the HDI will probably be more desireable for resale.

Woodentop
    Free Member

Been thinking of down sizing from my Tranny van to a Partner Tepee myself, thinking about an Partner Tepee Outdoor 112 (2011), on paper they quote about 53mpg. What kinda mpg are folk getting around town / long runs.

Cheers

mick_r

53 mpg sounds reasonable. That 90hp engine dragging round our Dispatch gives max 44mpg on a typical mtb long weekend trip (took a full 5000 miles to loosen up). Friend at work has a just got a Berlingo MPV and is very impressed with the economy compared to previous petrol C3.

We had an early Nemo MPV and it wasn’t great. Paint very soft, bouncy ride and poor performance. Never got the claimed mpg. Also had an oddball egr fault that left it stranded twice (porous adjacent casting allowing tiny spray of coolant to slowly corrode EGR plug). Got a good deal swapping to a C3 Pic HDI in same CO2 bracket which was a revelation in performance and actual economy. Just looking at Citroen website they seem to have quietly dropped the Nemo MPV.

You can’t actually buy what I’d want as the perfect combined spec of Berlingo / Partner for family mtb trips (it all exists – just not available):-
    Long body (ugly I know)
    Multispace trim in crew van body (just glazed side doors)
    Rubber floor
    Tailgate
    3 seater occasional front bench.

IA

Something very similar to that spec exists in France IIRC. I looked into it when I was buying, but they love their small vans there so makes sense they have more choice. They also get the 4×4 kangoo variants etc. too.

The book MPG figures are a little optimistic, but not wildly off. High 40s low 50s most of the time.

Any particular reason for the Partner? When I was buying no Peugeot dealer would match citroen for price, not even close. Not sure if that’s changed, but you do see far more blingos still.

mick_r

You can buy the long crew van in UK now, just (I don’t think) with tailgate or triple front seat.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Who's got a new shape Peugeot Partner / Citroen Berlingo?’ is closed to new replies.