Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Who's got a DT Swiss EXM fork?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m looking for a new, stiffer fork, so have in mind three options – RS Pike, XFusion Slant and the DT Swiss EXM 150.

Does anyone have the DT Swiss EXM here? I’ve read lots of varied reports, but nothing really concrete.

I’d be interested to know what the small bump compliance is like on the Launch Control II damper, and how they sit into their travel. I’m assuming they’re very linear, so you’d have more air in than normal, so less sag, and less sbc overall.

Anyone help with their experiences?

Cheers

Ricks

jonnyrockymountain

I’am a big dt Swiss forks fan
    They are very plush and stiff
    But the main thing for me is the quality of them a lot better than fox, rockshox
    My preference is dt then rockshox, I don’t think I’d buy fox forks again
    As for x-fusion never tried them

chestrockwell

I had some DT, XMM instead of EXM and have nothing but praise for them. Once I’d set them up for myself they were the plushest fork I’ve ever had including RS Revs and Fox Float + Talas. Only changed because I went from 26″ to 29″ and miss them as my current RS Sektors are no where near as good.

The XMM’s sit well in their travel and can be very linear but can also be tightened up, depends how you aet them up. Small bump compliance was the best I’ve felt.

endurogangster
    Free Member

I had some exm 150’s on my bfe, great forks, they do sit quite high in their travel but always found the small bump compliance good for air forks.

Liked them so much that when I replaced my bfe for a cove handjob I bought some xmm 120’s which are also excellent.

rickon
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies chaps, very useful 🙂

Anyone else in the Sunday crowd with experience?

sam3000

I had some xmm 140’s, great forks, however the stanchions (or black coating) on the stanchions seemed really soft and went through very fast…

I really enjoyed the fork and they were in fact, when locked out wrist shatteringly stiff.

spectabilis
    Free Member

EXM150’s here really nice fork in many ways. buttery smooth,surprisingly so make some Fox offerings feel like they’re made of wood! The controls are beautifully-machined and precise. Long service intervals and an easy job using no proprietary tools when you need to.
    These forks don’t flex either rock solid Revs feel noodley in comparison… Although saying that I did manage to detach the steerer from the crown! But this was sorted through warranty

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers spect, how linear were they? Did they dive much under power?

spectabilis
    Free Member

The first ride I found that they did dive quite badly and it was a bit of a faff experimenting with air pressures and compression adjustments to get them to perform how I liked.

When dialed in they IMO are the most linear feeling air fork I’ve ever used !

Houns

I wouldn’t buy anything else. Great forks.

chippymtb
    Free Member

I’ve been running the EXC 150 for about 3 or 4 years (it is the Carbon version but with Launch Control 1) They are great forks. When I first got them setting the air pressure was always tricky to get them plush without using up all the travel. They always seemed to have some stiction, but once moving were great.

This summer I had them serviced by TF tuning. They actually needed new uppers due to wear on the black coating, and a deep score in the surface. (The wear was my fault due to lack of servicing and lots of gritty muddy winter riding). TF reamed the bushes slightly, added extra oil to make them slightly less linear, and now, they are the best they have ever been. Much nicer than new. Previous to the DT forks, I had been using a Cannondale Lefty Max and the DT never felt as plush, but since the service the DT is excellent.

kevin1911

Yep, they’re very good. Had 2 sets of XMMs recently, and love them for all the reasons stated above. Would probably be interested in some 150s too – have you seen a deal anywhere?

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, yeah CRC have them a bit reduced.

I’m still not finding much about small bump compliance, its all varied reports, some say its excellent, others say the initial stitcion is very poor.

Anyone care to clear up if they know better?

Cheers everyone

Ricks

chestrockwell

My XMM’s had less stitcion then any of the Fox or RS I’ve had/have. One of the best things about the fork was how plush it was over small stuff.

wwaswas

Have a look at on-one – they have some bargains at the moment.

jonnyrockymountain

Bike24 have some good deals on dt Swiss forks

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers again everyone!

I’ve had a DT Swiss XMC 130 2009 before, which had very poor small bump compliance and felt like a lot of weight was needed to get the fork to move in its travel. Which is why I’m a little apprehensive.

I’ve had a lot of Fox, and a lot of Rockshox since, which have been fine really, I just fancy a change now. The obvious problem is getting it wrong, and wasting £400!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Who's got a DT Swiss EXM fork?’ is closed to new replies.