Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Who's going to vote for their police commisioner?
  • julianwilson
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

So as I understand it, the government thinks that a union should have to get a majority of all their members to vote in favour of strike action for the vote to have any validity. However, it’s absolutely fine for police commisioners to get in with a majority of the 10% who turned out.

+1

Spoilt votes came a close third for Devon & Cornwall, (we had ten candidates in total, 4 ‘political’ ones and six independents, and spoilt papers beat three of the four ‘political’ candidates). The man that won only had twice as many votes as there were spoilt ballot papers, and only 4% of people that could have voted at all actually voted for him. Good lord. 🙁

stevewhyte
    Free Member

iNorthwind – Member
    So as I understand it, the government thinks that a union should have to get a majority of all their members to vote in favour of strike action for the vote to have any validity. However, it’s absolutely fine for police commisioners to get in with a majority of the 10% who turned out.

You just couldn’t make it up, hilarious watching them try and justify why it’s perfectly ok to have a 8% turnout. Even some of those Tory tossers must be realising that the end is in sight. Time for hem to jump ship to their nice little directorships etc.

CountZero

Sadly, a political hack got it in Wiltshire. There I was hoping an independent would get in. 🙁

binners

Just thought I’d resurrect this in light of whats just happened in Manchester

A failed labour politician, beat the failed politicians of the other parties to become Police Commissioner last year, on a salary of £100 grand a year. And whats the first thing he appears to have done? Says he needs to appoint a deputy, and gets one of his mates in to fill the £55 grand position.

Neither of these clowns has any experience in policing

You’ve got to love democracy, eh? 🙄

unklehomered
    Free Member

This has been happening all over the place, and everyone’s acting surprised… I… I mean, it’s just so… 👿 😕 🙄

here’s hoping the next lot repeal it. Stupid idea, badly executed.

kimbers

unklehomered – Member
    This has been happening all over the place, and everyone’s acting surprised… I… I mean, it’s just so…

here’s hoping the next lot repeal it. Stupid idea, badly executed.

your assuming the next lot arent this lot al over again

and Id be seriously surprised if they do repeal it, too many party members now in position of tin pot influence

binners

unklehomered – It does indeed look like its happening all over. The Telegraph have picked up on it. It sounds like just more seats on the taxpayer funded gravy train!

Blimey! And I thought Manchester was obvious cronyism! This one seems another blatant one.

One, independent West Mercia commissioner Bill Longmore, is reported to have intended to appoint his campaign manager as a deputy.

John Campion, a Conservative councillor scrutinising the prospective appointment as part of a panel told the Times he would be “very surprised” if the public felt “somebody should be handed a £50,000-a-year job without any competition whatsoever just because he happened to be the winning candidate’s election campaigner”. 😯

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Who's going to vote for their police commisioner?’ is closed to new replies.