Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Who's getting/had a flu jab ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Think I’ll take myself to boots and get a jab…

gonefishin
    Free Member

The company offers it so I’d be a fool not to.

ThePinkster

I had mine last week and not keeled over with the dreaded lurgy yet so I guess it’s working OK 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope.
    Company is offering it free via BUPA, but it’s just a week feeling shitty and grog.

Best my jab goes to an old person who needs it more than I do.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Company is offering it free via BUPA, but it’s just a week feeling shitty and grog.

Apart from those who get admitted to hospital/icu and then there are those that die.

There’s no shortage of vaccine so you needn’t worry on this point.

stevie750

Yes, get it through work

I had the flu a few years back and it was awful, took about 3 months to fully recover

chvck
    Free Member

Ooh, I need to do this. Good reminder!

bikebouy
    Free Member

gonefishin – Member

Apart from those who get admitted to hospital/icu and then there are those that die.

There’s no shortage of vaccine so you needn’t worry on this point.

Nah, still stick with my decision, thanks for pointing all that out though.

beej

Yep, got it through work.

Last year my pharmacist GF paid for mine… and administered it too. She wanted to practice.

Haze

Yep, had mine a few weeks ago

ratherbeintobago

Had it.

Don’t fancy ECMO much.

pennine
    Free Member

Had it done about 3 weeks ago

vongassit
    Free Member

Not a chance. (don’s tinfoil hat) 😉

Northwind

Yup, I’m diabetic so officially at risk (and my mum has COPD so a bit more immunity in the family is good). TBH I’m fit enough that flu shouldn’t really be a risk but there’s no reason to chance it imo.

I just hope i get a nurse not a GP doing it this year, it’s like the difference between a professionally stitched dress and a sock darned by a blind lighthouse keeper.

Kryton57

I have mine as a TUE for EIB & chest infections (Asthmatic) when riding. Yes really 😀

After 3 years of Christmas chest infections, the last of which I couldn’t barely breathe, last year I sailed through after a Flu jab, so repeated it this year.

I didnt realise they were in short supply…

somafunk

I get a letter from the docs through the post every year saying that i qualify for a flu jab as i’m in an “at risk category” but i’ve never had the flu nor can i remember ever having a cold or suchlike in the previous few years so i don’t bother with it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Had it, feel much better for it 🙂

MSP

No, but I have an agreement* with everyone at work that if any of the **** morons come into work with the flu or a cold and I catch it off them then I will beat them to death.

*It may be a slightly one sided agreement consisting of me shouting at them until they **** off home.

poah
    Free Member

could get it for free but don’t bother

chipster

I had mine at work, last week, they’re giving everyone who has one a £5 Next voucher, so it would’ve been daft not to, as I was having one anyway (Diabetic).
    Edit. I started feeling a chesty cold coming on yesterday. 🙄

Drac

Yes a few weeks ago had one for the last few years. I’ve had flu never want it again , 2 weeks of which the only memory I have is the wife waking me up to feed me or give me fluids, 3rd week I dragged my arse downstairs but still slept most of the day. It took me weeks to recover.

I also have it to protect my kids, my Dad who has cardiac problems and of course my patients. On top of that by me having one it helps do a herd immunisation.

It’s not a week of feeling groggy that’s a bit of a cold. Also by having it you’re protecting the vulnerable.

Edit. I started feeling a chesty cold coming on yesterday.

So you have a cough, it doesn’t stop colds and coughs.

poah
    Free Member

no, the cold virus evolves too quickly to have an effective vaccination for it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course, it’s free 🙂

Never felt ill from it, and colds really kill me.

andy4d

Yep get it every year free via work. Got it a few weeks ago. Usual side effects of slightly sore upper arm and slight sore throat for a couple of days. Worth it if it stops me getting the flu.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, 2 failed attempts so far first it wasn’t ready, second I still had a bit of a cold so the pharmacist wasn’t keen.

Last year I had a ‘cold’ but went riding anyway, turned out I had ‘flu’ which took a bat to me the next morning and for a week after, which lead to pneumonia and a night in hospital and 2 weeks of feeling fairly shit. Hoping to dodge that this year.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yes, had it every year for more years than I care to remember. I’m another ‘at risk’ as I’m a T1 Diabetic. Really don’t want Flu

zanelad
    Free Member

I had one last winter and have regretted it greatly. Within hours I’d developed one of the worst coughs I’ve ever had. Took weeks to clear up. Now if I get as much as a snuffle the bloody cough returns and it too takes weeks to clear up. If they offer me another one I’ll tell them where to stick it.

To add insult to injury I had to pay for it as I wasn’t as old as the woman in Boots thought I was.

beej

I had one last winter and have regretted it greatly. Within hours I’d developed one of the worst coughs I’ve ever had

Correlation doesn’t equal causation. What’s the incubation period for the common cold? 3 days or so?

jp-t853

I get offered it for free via work and always go without but I had flu last December so have had the vaccine this year. I was laid flat for three days. My wife had it just before me so we were like a tag team, if we had it at the same time I really don’t know how we would have managed with our daughter and dog.

My wife was laid out for a week but I remembered that we had elderberry vinegar and that it was supposed to be a very good flu remedy so I think that helped me get the worst over with in three days. It is also lovely when you are feeling fine.

CountZero

I used to get it through work, but I no longer have that job, or the jab, but I’m going to look into it, as I’m of an age where I’m likely to be vulnerable, and my 91-year old dad lives with me, so there’s another good reason.
    I’ve had flu, proper flu, not man-flu, and there’s a solid week of my life that doesn’t exist, I have no clear memory, just incredibly vague images that may not even be real.
    I really don’t want to risk that again, next time may be worse…

cranberry
    Free Member

Work provides it for free – when you have staff from 30-odd countries they bring back all sorts from their trips, so it it a cost and time saving measure.

I often feel a bit crappy afterwards, not really this year, which is an unexpected bonus.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m entitled to it, and usually get it, but the special clinic the GP runs falls 48hrs before Relentless, so will be skipping it for now and try and sort something out next week.

bikebouy
    Free Member

From what I heard the other day supplies are plentiful, no need to panic (BBCR2 JezzaVine DrWhatsit). Also this years strain is similar to a previous version so the recommended jab should suffice.

To all those that have kids or mix with the vulnerable or are indeed vulnerable, then clearly your choices are veering towards having it. But plenty of folks don’t get it for free and can’t afford it.. My one less take up may/may not help another.

Anyway, those of you that work in a 6000 employee Global Office will understand that all sorts of Germs get passed around Flu or not.. its quite gross when you think about it.

Drac

had one last winter and have regretted it greatly. Within hours I’d developed one of the worst coughs I’ve ever had. Took weeks to clear up.

An inactive virus gave you a cough within hours? 😆

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

We give it to about 1/3 of our patients, and there’s no shortage. Last year I got my 13 year old to give it to me.

It is inactivated and given at a time of year when lots of people get their first cold of the year, so guess what some people blame.

In 2016 I had 3 patients who ended up on HDU or ICU with H1N1, two who were young.

chipster

Correct.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Just get it, I have it through work, no side effects at all. I think the anti Vax movement has sown a pervasive distrust of vaccines, largely based on bog all. Proper flu can make you really sick. When you have seen an ITU full of young vented patients you might have the jab!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Who's getting/had a flu jab ?’ is closed to new replies.