Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Who's entered Fred?
  • joat

Entries for Fred Whitton close tonight. Who’s in the draw, and are you secretly hoping not to be selected? I’m in, but I’m going to be pushed for training time if I get a golden ticket.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not what I was expecting. Thankfully.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I haven’t entered for quite a few years now. It’s massively over subscribed and it seems if you’re local but not part of a club then you’ve not got much chance of getting a place. Plus it hasn’t had a sunny day for about six years.

tomhoward

Pretty sure he entered himself, head first, every once in a whyul

*waves*

sc-xc

This has set his allayum off…

Harry_the_Spider

He is already back amongst us and has been for a while.

MoreCashThanDash

Not quite the confessional I was hoping for…..

joat

Is it too late for a (Whitton content) edit mods?
    I’ve only had one sensible answer so far, which is nothing like STW forum now is it? 😆

andyfla
    Free Member

Yup, did it last year and entered again – hopefully I will be fit for it

Sorry to lower the tone with a sensible answer

jam-bo

Nope. Ticked that one off last year, too far to come back and do it again anytime soon.

13thfloormonk

Nope! Might have considered it, got round respectably last year but paced myself almost too carefully, wouldn’t mind pushing it a bit for a second go round. However, nursing all sorts of bike related injuries at the moment so think this is a good year to focus on shorter rides rather than another 7 and half hour grind…

mikeyp

Yep , 3rd time hopefully. I’ve always ended up on the reserve and still got a spot. I find it’s a useful prod to get me riding in the new year.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Yup entered today. Messed up on the team entry tho so hope I’m not the only one of a few riding buddies to get a place.

Did the tour of the peak last year in horrendous winds and survived ok. How much tougher is FW?!

jam-bo

How much tougher is FW?!

First 45 is easy. Last ten is easy. The bit in between is a bastard.

Hardknot/wrynose was hard but I expected it to be. Cold fell was a low point for me, and everyone around me by the looks of it. Mainly because for some reason I’d got it on my head the feed station was before it…

crazy-legs

Cold fell was a low point for me, and everyone around me by the looks of it.

Cold Fell is the hardest part of the ride by far. It’s not marked on the map as a “climb” in the way that Kirkstone, Whinlatter etc are so it catches everybody out. Also it’s completely exposed and almost always right into the teeth of the prevailing wind.

Plus it comes at that psychological low point of about 65-70 miles when you’re kind of knackered but also not even close to the end!

jam-bo

did you get in?

joat

Thanks for reminding me to check. Sadly I haven’t been successful this time. Sort of sad, sort of relieved.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

do you get an email either way, or just if you’re not in?

jlc
    Free Member

How do you check if you have got in or rejected? I have received no email saying either yet,

boxelder

Grasmere village are looking for ways to encourage tourists to come back to the area after the storms of winter. Would those of you who didn’t get in be up for a ride of the route, with timing and feeds/support at a few points – free to ride if you stay locally (B+B etc)?

jekkyl

when do they expect the A591 grasmere>keswick to be back in action?

boxelder

when do they expect the A591 grasmere>keswick to be back in action?

I’ve heard it will be May

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I have an entry. Better start the training / weight loss soon then 😕

joat

thekingisdead – Member
    I have an entry. Better start the training / weight loss soon then

Good luck, are you a first-timer?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m in.

mrchrispy

I got this….

Dear Rider

{name} (please check we have the correct name) – thank you for entering the lottery draw for a place in the 2016 Saddleback Fred Whitton Challenge. I am pleased to inform you that you have been successful and now have a place in the event.

Can only assume that means we are in (it was a 4 or nothing entry)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Got the email to say I’m in 😀 Third time for me, just hope the weathers better than the previous two years I’ve done it 😐

joat

Starting to feel envious :mrgreen:

mikeyp

3rd time unlucky. On the reserve list

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Good luck, are you a first timer

1st time doing the FW yes. Did a lot of road riding last year so hoping I can get back in the groove quickly

Cammer
    Free Member

I also got the ‘Dear Rider {name} email’ as part of a team. Assume we are all in and just a mail merge error on team entries.

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’m in, oh cr*p…..

wors

Grasmere village are looking for ways to encourage tourists to come back to the area after the storms of winter. Would those of you who didn’t get in be up for a ride of the route, with timing and feeds/support at a few points – free to ride if you stay locally (B+B etc)?

Me and a mate are thinking about coming up end Feb/ beginning of march to have a bash at he route, what dates was you thinking?

jwt
    Free Member

Been said before, but if you marshal this year you’ll get a guaranteed entry next year. Plenty of notice to dial in the training regime.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I’m in!

Bregante

I’m in!

Muhahahaha!

eddie11
    Free Member

Ah. I’m in. Looks as if there has been some it problems. Ive just got a resent email. There may be others! If you were secretly relieved not to be successful you are not out of the woods yet.

mike_p
    Free Member

I’m not in, with a curious mixture of disappointment and relief. I wasn’t looking forward to the training! So, Velothon Wales it is then…

stever
    Free Member

Not in. crazy-legs is right – Cold Fell is sneaky and mean. Last year we hit that in rotten weather, wind and rain, just when fatigue is starting to hit and you’re getting psyched for the Big Ones. Ah well.

whitestone
    Free Member

The big “named” climbs only account for about half the total ascent of the FW, there’s a lot of up and down!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Who's entered Fred?’ is closed to new replies.