Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Who's done the Dunwich Dynamo?
  • IHN

I’m thinking of doing it; driving down in the camper to That London on the Saturday, finding somewhere to leave it overnight near the shopping centre where the return coach drops off, riding to the start, coming back on the coach, having a quick kip in the van before driving home.

It seems to get great write-ups as an event, anyone here have first-hand experience?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yeah its cool, depends on the weather. can be a right slog but just keep eating. Friendly crowd

aP
    Free Member

Did it about 20 years ago when it was still pretty low key. I think now there’s 2-3,000 riders?
    As an alternative, we rode Exmouth Exodus last summer which had about 250 riders – much more low key, and didn’t involve riding through north east London.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

2-3,000 riders?

bloody hell is it! I think I did it around 2007, 08 maybe , I’d guess 500 people

wilburt
    Free Member

I think I’ve done it four or five times, at least twice I’ve turned off around Cretingham and gone home. Its tough going past your house at 4am 70 mile in and knowing theres 30miles out and 30miles back.

Other than that its the best UK bike ride IMO, riding through the night is surreal and if you get dry weather and a tailwind literally a breeze.
    Depends where your coming from but you could leave the camper is Westleton, get a train into London and cycle back to it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cool ride, no official off time so people start making there way off at different times.can be very busy. Bit of a victim of its own success

colin9

I’ve not ridden it but I have ridden through the night on various occasions. It is an experience worth having, although personally I prefer to avoid the crowds.

Anyway, here is an off beat write up from the excellent but now sadly defunct Boneshaker Magazine:

Into the night

nedrapier

Is it amazeballs being with loads of other people, or just as nice doing it on any other day, when you can pick you weather and/or moon phase?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I did it a bit 6 years ago. Great event. It’s much more about the pariticipation than the time. Lots of places to stop for food and a pint on route and a great atmosphere.

crazy-legs

Yes, loads of times.
    First did it when it was an organised event through Mosquito Bikes. It then went a little bit underground but gained a cult following. The last time I did it back in 2016 there must have been 2500 riders and it was actually too busy, unpleasantly so. Too many bellends with super-bright dazzling rear lights.

There’s usually a good vibe to it though and loads of the villages en route get in on the act with pubs opening late, pop-up coffee stalls and barbecues in front gardens anbd then there’s the cafe on the beach (which has got steadily worse over the years).

There’s an active Facebook page although interestingly this year’s event seems to clash with RideLondon and there’s actually quite an argument as to whether the event should be same date or moved a week to avoid it and arguments as to who actually decides this (ie who owns the event?!) mixed in with tradition and so on.

I avoided it last year but a mate did it and reckoned it was at least as busy as 2016.

Any bike will do, the last few times I’ve done it on my roadie SS (48:17)

lazybike
    Free Member

Yep…twice for me, great event.

ransos
    Free Member

As an alternative, we rode Exmouth Exodus last summer which had about 250 riders – much more low key, and didn’t involve riding through north east London.

Cracking event, that. Straight out of Bath through the Two Tunnels, oodles of cake at Cheddar, Somerset Levels, hot food at Fivehead, do some climbing, tea break at Luppitt, then ride to the coast. Greasy fry up then ride back to Exeter to get the train home.

ransos
    Free Member

Oh, and if any of you fancy a gentler introduction to night riding on the road, try the Friday Night Ride to the Coast: http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/welcome.html

List of 2018 rides currently being agreed and dates will be posted up soon. I’ll be leading Bristol to Barry Island.

Pierre

I’ve started it twice and finished it once.

In my first year I got taken down by a chaingang of cretins who overtook on a sharp left corner and pulled in sharply to avoid an oncoming car. One of them put his pedal into the spokes of my front wheel and broke about 10 of them. So I had a long walk in the rain to the nearest village, an expensive cab journey at 2am to the nearest railway station, and a freezing wait for the first time home. Definitely type 2 fun.

The second year, however, was brilliant. A warm, dry evening with a clear sky, a full moon and a slight tailwind. Riding through open fields with only the moon lighting the road in front of you is amazing, and although both times were busy, I’m going to do it again this year.

Like a sportive, avoid the Strava-chasing chain-gangs of muppets with no actual experience of riding in a pack and you’ll probably be fine.

And expect very long queues at the cafe at the end if you arrive after dawn!

crazy-legs

And expect very long queues at the cafe at the end if you arrive after dawn!

Several local pubs and cafes havbe cottoned onto this and there are alternatives (although not right on the beach if that is important to you…)

To be honest I’d avoid the beach cafe anyway, the quality has been going downhill now for years.

IHN

Exmouth Exodus looks good, but we’ll probably have other plans for the August Bank Holiday weekend.

amedias
    Free Member

The Exodus is ace too if you’re down this way, also consider Darkmoor, it’s a circular overnighter of Dartmoor so easier logistically as it’s a loop. New/small at the moment but great fun with nice people.

zilog6128

Darkmoor sounds good, being a loop makes a lot more sense really! Any other events like that?

whitestone
    Free Member

Search for Audaxes, there’s quite a few about. Very low key and much cheaper than sportives. A variety of distances.

acsevens

It’s a great ride – friendly, fantastic atmosphere. Set off a bit later – 9 ish – and you’ll avoid the hordes of road clubs in badly organised belly-tons.

The above suggestion to leave your van at dunwich and then get the train to London is a good one. Every time I’ve done it, it’s been cold at the beach and I haven’t wanted to linger once I’ve had the obligatory beer at the cafe.

aP
    Free Member

If we do Exmouth Exodus again this year, we (might) leave the van in/near Exmouth, ride to Bath on the Saturday, then ride back overnight. Circular route!

verses

Three times – the number of bikes had pretty much doubled between my first and last, sounds like it’s even higher now. If you’re interested, my write-ups are below (2012 was my favourite);

Greater Anglia have become very awkward about the number of bikes on the trains in recent years which has put me off.

amedias
    Free Member

Darkmoor sounds good, being a loop makes a lot more sense really! Any other events like that?

Search for Audaxes, there’s quite a few about. Very low key and much cheaper than sportives. A variety of distances.[/quote]

Was going to say that, although very few are deliberately overnight in the shorter distances. However if the overnight bit isn’t important then crak on they’re great fun and there’ll be on near you every week or three in most cases, and something available almost every weekend if you are happy to travel. They’re great fun 🙂

(Dynamo/Exodus/Darkmoor are all free BTW, and not at all sportivey)

Wally

Yes, a couple of times. leave van in Dunwich and drive home. Excellent vibe. The sunrise on the beach last year, was quite special

hatter

Did it in 2011 and it was pretty magic, been on my ‘must do that again’ list ever since.

shermer75
    Free Member

Has anybody got any tips about how to get back to London/sleeping in Dunwich? I’ve looked at campsites and there’s only one that I’ve found and it looks very built up with loads of cars and caravans, which always weirds me out a biyt when I turn up with a bike and a tiny tent lol. The trains also look like a massive pain in the arse! What’s the best plan? 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

PS I’m doing the ‘Blue Moon’ one in June, which apparently is a much smaller one so I don’t think there will be any coaches…

jimdubleyou

Oh, and if any of you fancy a gentler introduction to night riding on the road, try the Friday Night Ride to the Coast: http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/welcome.html

List of 2018 rides currently being agreed and dates will be posted up soon. I’ll be leading Bristol to Barry Island.

Thanks for this – I will try to do at least one of these out of London this year…

TiRed

It’s great, done it a few times. But you haven’t really done it until you ride home as well.

shermer75
    Free Member

> It’s great, done it a few times. But you haven’t really done it until you ride home as well.

😆

shermer75
    Free Member

So I’ve booked a coach for the main event. Might also go on the Blue Moon one and wild camp!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Who's done the Dunwich Dynamo?’ is closed to new replies.