• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Who's doing the Etape Caledonia?
  • gazza100

As per title. First road event I’ve entered to give me something to train for.

trail_rat
    Free Member

See we thought about it since our friends now live pretty much a gnats fart from the start line.

130 quid for 2 entries…. To ride with a bunch of scarys

Not quite , pull the udder one

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said, not for me.

gazza100

Are there better events to be had? Was going to enter 10utb as a solo but missed out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends what you want from an event.

To ride with other riders who seem intent on taking you out at every opportunity you probably wont get much better this side of cycle speedway.

If you want a cracking road ride on quiet scenic roads with good people. Snow roads audax.

Very different events but i know where id rather be.

kcal

depends what sort of event you want.

Bealach na Ba? Loch Ness sportive (did it several years ago as a MTB 360).

I considered it (the Etape) but even setting aside the cost, not sure I’d enjoy my personal space being invaded that much (and don’t reckon I’d put in a decent enough time to have a warm feeling about it..)

bajsyckel

I don’t really “get” sportives, but ”the 3 pistes” one looks like it might be interesting. Similar to the snow roads audax – the route of which is a decent ride.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It aint no wildcat grimpeur though

mrhoppy

Pre registered and then saw sense when they wanted £65 before I started on travel & accom. It’s considerably more expensive than Ride London which also has closed roads and has a weekends activities around it.

bajsyckel

Had to google that trail_rat – another decent route that one. Hard to come up with a bad one round there mind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I live there:)

Waderider
    Free Member

I rode the route last year, while training for a decent sportive (Paris Roubaix challenge).

I thought the route was really uninspiring. An alright summer evenings ride 😉

imnotverygood

Whatever floats your boat. Audax types won’t like it. I did it a few years ago & it was the most fun I’ve ever had on a road bike. Its continued success seems to suggest that I am not alone.

iainc

Enjoyed it with a group of mates this year and entered it this morning for 2014. Its great fun and well organised, but perhaps not one for die hard competitive folks.

GrahamS

Are entries open?? Couldn’t find anything on the website. It says “ENTRIES OPENING SOON!”

kcal

pre-registration entries opened 10am today apparently Graham.

scotroutes

Great fun. Possibly the only time you’ll get to ride with 5,000 other folk. The locals all come out and support it and it’s great to be cheered along as you go. The segment round Loch Rannoch can be a bit exposed and into an awful headwind on the way out but it’s otherwise a nice route. There are a couple of little “stinger” climbs in the last bit from Logierait though and make sure you are in a low gear when you turn up and left, away from the hotel.

I’ve done it twice. The first was the “Etack Caledonia” event and I got severely chilled at the top of the Schiehallion climb as they waited to make sure it was safe to continue. The following year I managed round in a respectable 4h13m.

It is, however, a bit expensive and be aware that none of your entry fee is going to charity – it all goes to the event organisers.

If there’s an STW “recce” ride, I’d be well up for coming along.

GrahamS

Cool. I’m hoping to do it with my roadie mates this year.
    It’ll be my first ever sportive type thing so I’ll be the one making a nuisance of myself and generally causing trouble in the peleton. 😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I’ll be doing it – one of my favourite days of the year. In terms of atmosphere and big event feel its more like the big continental sportives than most in the UK and while expensive i never feel like its been a waste of money.

The standard of riding isnt IME that bad either. Last couple of years i’ve been in the A and B waves and the riding has been better than the average 3rd and 4th cat race.

cudubh

The 2014 version will be my third time. I enjoyed the first two. I expect to do so again. It is a strange experience riding with so many people on closed roads. I like the route but it may not be to everybody’s taste. If it doesn’t appeal then feel free to ignore it.

fasthaggis

It’s one of our sunday run loops,so I can’t get past paying the cash for something so close .
    Waderider
    I think the routes very good,probably a bit uninspiring if you are pootling 😉

GrahamS

Cool. I’m hoping to do it with my roadie mates this year.

Or perhaps not. Sold out already. 🙁

UseItorLoseIt

It sold out really quickly this year. Got the early register alert this morning, then tried to enter this evening, and only the double entry with the Dales event was left. So forced to take that – £108!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If there’s an STW “recce” ride, I’d be well up for coming along.

+1, I’ll try and keep up next time 😳

kcal

that sounds like fun actually. No road bike warrior here though – all day pace or bust..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Who's doing the Etape Caledonia?’ is closed to new replies.