Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Who's boycotting Halfords?
  • DezB
    Free Member

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/boycott-halfords-say-consumers-over-number-plates-for-cyclists-call/022037

I don’t shop there anyway, but commissioning a survey!? Bastards!

The Scum’s reporting of it leaves a lot to be desired…

chakaping
    Free Member

said there was a “convincing” argument for cyclists to carry number plates.

They actually said a “convincing” percentage of responses said bikes should have number plates.

Bad choice of wording, but not quite what BikeBiz are claiming.

Knowing a bit about how these “surveys” get done, I’d say it’s more likely incompetence and stupidity than malice.

eemy
    Free Member

I won’t be boycotting. I was in yesterday but the item I had ordered wasn’t in stock, however it would be arriving two days later. The fella in the shop offered to drop it off at my house rather than have me come back into the shop to get it. That’s pretty good customer service if you ask me.

km79
    Free Member

I’d rather boycott the whiny entitled cyclists calling for a boycott.

retro83
    Free Member

Spectacularly bad bit of PR work 😆

matt_outandabout

The fella in the shop offered to drop it off at my house rather than have me come back into the shop to get it. That’s pretty good customer service if you ask me

You’re in there….

Some misplaced ideas there at Halfords…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just a ploy to raise free publicity that’s all. No need to get all hot under the collar. Don’t feed their media machine. It’s the classic Ryanair ploy to raise publicity for free by calling for some proposterous thing and by starting this thread ypu’ve fallen into their cunning trap.

daern
    Free Member

Boycott or not, Halfords have been getting an increasingly large percentage of my online spend as their free delivery to store combined with 10% BC discount means that they are often the cheapest and fastest supplier online. I also find them friendly in store, although that’s a long way from using them to service any of my own kit! 🙂

This sounds like a silly survey to me and nothing to get too excited about. I’m certainly not too worried about the future of bicycle registration, anyway.

MoreCashThanDash

A lot of that survey has been misreported, or taken out of context. It’s brought out a lot of rabid entitled cyclists on Facebook anyway. Not sure I’m welcome at road.cc tonight. 😆

I’m unlikely to boycott Britain’s biggest cycle retailer anyway.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been boycotting them for years in response to their lack of decent stock and high prices for the 5-6 year old stuff they keep on the shelf.

For publishing the results of a survey, no.

LAT

km79 – Member

Genuine question, what is it that you feel these cyclists think they are entitled to that they aren’t?

d3carbon
    Free Member

km79 – Member
    Genuine question, what is it that you feel these cyclists think they are entitled to that they aren’t?

Do not look directly at the troll.

km79
    Free Member

So @Halfords_uk – I will not be spending a single penny with you until you retract this ‘survey’, apologise, and donate £5,000 to @CHAIRRDRF

[quote]what is it that you feel these cyclists think they are entitled to that they aren’t? [/quote]That they can make demands of others just because they have a different opinion.

LAT

Thanks.

CheesybeanZ

Geoff .

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I won’t be boycotting. I was in yesterday but the item I had ordered wasn’t in stock, however it would be arriving two days later. The fella in the shop offered to drop it off at my house rather than have me come back into the shop to get it. That’s pretty good customer service if you ask me.

was that item a number plate for your bike, by any chance?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, stupid is as stupid does.

All the cleaning stuff for my car I get from there, can’t honestly remember if I’ve ever bought anything bike related from them since I’ve got a good stock of real bike shops nearby.

vincienup
    Free Member

Taking the idea and running with it, I’m actually unsure how you’d go about making bicycle registration plates work given the nature of bicycles.

Cars are different, as there’s a large data infrastructure around them, the Police take theft and use reasonably seriously and really very few people make changes much more significant than wheels and tyres, and even then they’re inspected yearly.

I could just about see a rider registration plate working although I have no idea how you’d mandate its physical display as it’d more or less need to be on the rider’s back. Race kit is one thing but general riders aren’t going to have a single item of outerwear that is always the outermost item especially unless we’re banning backpacks as well.

In my mind if this idea was going to fly at all it would need to be something similar to a photo card licence and would be useless unless you stopped the rider and demanded it…

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ll only agree to a registration and test if pedestrians, horse riders, and all other road users that don’t need registration, have to do likewise.

As for Halfords, only thing I could make any protest about is the damage to the environment caused by pushing so many cans of GT-85 on people bundled with bike related purchases. Though the real reason is so they are assured the customer will be returning frequently for a service having sprayed the entire bike with the stuff.

vincienup
    Free Member

😀

I know at least one roadie that does exactly this… I don’t really get the fascination with the stuff. Apart from possibly making the frame slippery I don’t really see what it is intended to do but I know some swear by it!

Poopscoop

GT 85 has been THE smell of biking for me since the early 90’s. 🙂

Still conjures up many a happy memory of tarting around with bikes over the years. Do use less of it now though.

devash
    Free Member

*yawn*

Another INTERNETZ OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! non-story.

I’ll still be buying my car-related stuff from there as its on the way to work.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Who's boycotting Halfords?’ is closed to new replies.