Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Whose bike is worth more than their car?
  • momo

Up until a couple of weeks ago, each of my bikes was worth more than my car.
    Have just spent more on my new car than every other motorised vehicle I’ve owned (5 cars and a motorbike) combined 😳

tonyg2003

No.

I’ll have to have a word with myself to readdress my bike spending limits 😀

nwgiles

urm, sorry car is still worth a lot more

i’m an IT manager don’t you know

Rorschach
    Free Member

urm, sorry car is still worth a lot more
    i’m an IT manager don’t you know

Have you seen the price of Orange 5’s lately?

karen805
    Free Member

Yep, even my cheapish hardtail is worth more than my car. The Passat with towbar was purchased purely to drive my downhill bike to lots of nice places!

hillsplease

Oh yes. Most of my bikes are worth more than my car.

andrewh
    Free Member

I find it a little odd that we can be sitting in a café mid-ride talking about bikes.
    Mate is after a new one, seen a Cannondale frame for £2.5k (roadie thing) Everyone saying ‘it’s a bargain’ and ‘that’s a lot of bike for the money’. Same group of mates going round a car dealers saying “fifteen hundred pounds? For a car?! I’m not spending that”
    Car parts are cheaper too (Transit tyre cost less than a Nobby Nic, Ford brake disc is less than a Hope floating rotor, Ford gear selector unit is cheaper than an XTR front mech etc etc)

gazc
    Free Member

i have 6 bikes and the girlfriend has 3, i’d reckon the only one worth less than our car is her commuter

ononeorange

Of course. I would be embarrassed and not feel a proper cyclist if it wasn’t.

lunge

Borderline for me. Bikes are worth £1k ish each (cost more but that is their current worth), car is a Renault with nearly 150k on the clock. But then I do tend to keep cars until they die, bikes don’t last quite as long.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yup only by about £50 though. Cannondale SL5 was £550 and ford focus 1.6 zetec was £500.

porter_jamie

the bikes each are easily worth double what the car is worth. and together probably more than the car, the van and the motorbikes. i drive (and own outright of course) old knackers and am proud of it!

benp1

Is it just people that drive a shed that are replying to this thread?

Both our cars and my motorbike are worth way more than bikes. But they’re not expensive bikes

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah I think it’s some sort of pride thing (see rule 25 etc) – only the “No”s are replying.

When I was poor, I had a banger of a car and three decent-ish bikes, all were worth more than the car. But now I’m not so poor, I have a nicer car. In total, my 4 bikes are probably worth more than the car. Does that count?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Sorry, but whats rule 25???

Superficial
    Free Member

The Rules

Sorry, but whats rule 25???

Pfft, if you don’t know. you’re clearly not a real cyclist someone who frequents internet forums more than they ride their bikes

coastkid
    Free Member

10 year old Fiesta :-), value of about two new fatbike tyres 😆

Northwind

benp1 – Member

Nah, I have a perfectly nice car- 180 brake, leather everything, hot and cold running seats, wine cellar… It’s just more than 5 minutes and 10 miles old so therefore apparently not worth much.

garage-dweller

Car is edging it on current values.

I do spend more on cars than bikes but work and family 180 miles away dictate an average of 10-15 hours a week begins the wheel. Having said that my current drive is a near ten year old mondeo that I have had nearly six years.

I don’t fixate on expensive bikes or cars. Just the right tool for the job.

trolleywheels
    Free Member

I had 3 grand saved to buy a Mondraker and ended up buying a van with it to transport my other bikes and flask of tea to far-away places.

Van’s worth less than the bikes stored in it in total.. does that count?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Cheers superficial. I am riding my bike a lot more than usual this year and have also spent a lot less time on here AND spent a lot less on kit.

These things are not unconnected.

Superficial
    Free Member

The message I choose to take from this is that I’ll only be considered a proper mountain biker if I spunk £7k on a brand new Santa Cruz carbon somethingorother. It’ll be worth more than my car then.

aracer
    Free Member

Mine’s an ’08 reg. I have expensive bikes (and the car has a lot of miles, but is far from a shed).

oldnick

Of course!

However my current favourite bike is the one that isn’t (er?), and whilst a 215K 52 plate diseasel Focus might not be everyone’s cup of tea I love it, and the way it just keeps doing the job.

Count me in.
    23 year old Land Rover Defender v Custom Build Titanium Frame, Belt Drive, Rohloff & Lefty.

Interesting comment on the price of parts above.

I can buy this hub bearing kit for my Land Rover for £19

Or this hub bearing kit for a Hope hub for £20.

Considering my Land Rover has done 320000km on it’s original wheel bearings so far, I’d say the top one of those two is the better deal. 😛

6079smithw
    Free Member

My BMX is worth more than my car, nevermind any mountain bikes

Not a chance – don’t think ever in my lifetime has the price of a bike outweighed the value of a car.

Maybe if I went back over 15 years, the value of the vehicle I had then would outweigh the price of my current bike.

Value of current motor is more than the sum total of every bike I’ve ever owned – which admittedly isn’t that many, but current one is a carbon S-Works Enduro (2008)

tinybits
    Free Member

Giant anthem x1 in an almost new (1 week old) golf gt tdi with 500 miles on the clock.

Only it’s a company car, so worth nothing to me, so yes.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Whose bike is worth more than their car?’ is closed to new replies.