Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Who's been to Colombia?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Want to head to South America this summer, and Colombia is looking like a good option, mainly due to cheap flights and a couple recommendations from friends.

I’ll be meeting my girlfriend there, and we’ll have both done a fair bit of travelling immediately before then (independently). Will have between 1-3 weeks.

So looking for a country we can just chill out and recover on a beach or similar, with the scope to travel around a bit in if there is time.

So, who’s been to Colombia? What’s it like for cheapness (we’re both students)/relaxing places/not getting diseases (we’re getting vaccinations)/staying safe/etc etc?

For those who like the country, recommendations on places to go? My brother went to the Tayrona National Park which looks incredible, although a bit tricky to get to from Bogota.

Thanks,
    Duane.

BillMC

Not been to Colombia but have been to El Salvador and Guatemala a few times and they tick your boxes, check out El Tunco and Antigua and Lake Atitlan. Would make a good 3 week trip and cheap too.

Pigface
    Free Member

My neices were in Columbia about 2 years ago, loved it and said best place in S. America.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve been to Colombia, spent two months there in 2010.

It’s great.. Countries within a country, if you get what I mean. Two different coasts, a carribean north and a Brazil style south. I went all over the place.

It’s cheap, to us, but there are cheaper (and more expensive) countries in south/central America.

Although i remember thinking and hearing that lots of Americans are now heading there and treating it like a new ‘spring break’ type place, with booze and coke and inevitable price rises and associated douchebags.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Went in 2011. It’s an amazing place and a lot safer than you’d first think. Bogota has some areas you’d want to avoid after dark, but generally, as with most places, the people are very friendly and helpful. Can’t give much advice on what the best way to travel around is as we mainly drove around with locals we know. I believe that there are pretty much no trains other than one or two tourist routes, so long distance buses are probably you’re best bet. The highlights of what we saw were:

A nice nature reserve place north of Bogota which is good for relaxing hiking (at height…) if you were into that. Looks a lot like much of Wales. As above we were lucky to get a local to drive us so I can’t comment on ease of transport. Laguna Iguaque

Close to that there’s also the town of Villa Da Leiva which is very relaxing and very picturesque. Villa_de_Leyva. If you get your rocks off buying cheap food from local markets, and watching livestock getting crammed into the back of hatchbacks, then this is the place for you.

We also got out to the Tatacoa Desert Tatacoa desert which was an awesome place. It’s quite a way south of Bogota and again we got a lift so not sure how you’d do it on public transport.

And try and visit a Tejo bar. It’s utterly bonkers! AS howsyourdad1 says the north has the Caribbean beaches – Cartagena is meant to be amazing.

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers, flights booked!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Avoid salads.Make sure all meat (especially pork) is well cooked. If you pick up a tapeworm, you’re f*cked.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Who's been to Colombia?’ is closed to new replies.