Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Who's a happy bunny with a decent local boozer then?
  • binners

In more ‘no shit sherlock’ discoveries by a combined group of brain scientists and rocket surgeons….

Research by Oxford University found that regulars with a local pub nearby are “significantly” happier, have more friends, better life satisfaction, and actually drink in more moderation.

Personally I regard a decent local as a basic human right. And its definitely been a consideration when looking where to live. My local is brilliant. Its a sort of unofficial community hub. We tend to nip down 2 or 3 nights a week after work. Just for a couple before going home for tea. We’re on first name terms with all the regulars, know them well enough to have some pretty animated discussions with the Tory/UKIP crowd, but its all good natured.

Its hosted us after Monday Night Pub Rides by laying on chip butties for us all after a snowy night ride, and having the log-burner blazing away

So who’s got a decent local then? Lets sing the praises of an undervalued and worryingly endangered species. We lose them at our peril

russianbob
    Free Member

Several here, spoilt for choice really. NBS and The Junction are my most frequented. But lots and lots of others.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Used to be. 🙁

Locals out here in the boondocks aren’t actually bad, as such, just not excellent, as my old local in That London’s Famous Village Pimlico.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Used to have a couple of nice locals when I had my Greenwich flat – my new local isn’t too bad though. Usually was there once a week or so, but much less so now that I’m working away much of the time.

MoreCashThanDash

Me. Main pub in the village. Been a regular end of ride watering hole for Sunday morning and Wednesday night rides. Let us hose our bikes down in the courtyard. Great guest ales, 4 log burners in winter. Never complained about the mud we drag in (may have helped them decide to install stone floors though!)

And don’t kick you out on a Friday night/Saturday morning till around 1.30….

darrell
    Free Member

nearest pub to me is about 10 miles away, so wouldn’t call that local

postierich
    Free Member

Consider my local to be the Eagle and Child as its the pub I finish my rides at I,m the local postie but live in Kendal fine range of beers and food and theres always someone in to have a natter with 🙂

About Us

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

One of the many reasons I love living where I do is that there are 8 decent boozers within a 10-15 minute walk. A fine mix of old school locals with ropey live acts at weekends, trendy hipster bars, locals-only where the whole bar stares at you from within their grime-encrusted Fluro work jackets, hippy / arty full of odd characters….. All good depending on what mood you’re in.

If I go further afield (but walking distance) there’s stacks of pubs (though a fraction of what there were 30 years ago 🙁 ).

I love Brizzle 🙂

lunge

Oh yes, very lucky here. 3 micro breweries within 5 miles, 2 within 1 mile. Add another 10 or so proper pubs within 2 miles and I’m sorted. Not really a local at any of them as I tend to vary which one I go to.

donks
    Free Member

Just 2mins walk down the road is the craufurd arms. Milton Keynes only decent music venue. It’s been home to tonnes of gigs in the last few years and seen me staggering back in the early hours (mostly week nights!!). I love the place and would be devestated if it ever closes.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Not a big pub-goer these days but having a great pub with an always-changing selection of 6 ales on tap, and decent food too, within a 4 min walk of my front door is quite a perk of living here!

chambord
    Free Member

Nearest to me is in Fallowfield. It’s full of students and man city fans. Horrendous.

Klunk
    Free Member

nope no local, we thought we did but the landlord took exception to us having our bikes in the garden, not been back since.

Spin
    Free Member

Good biking both road and mtb from the door – check.
    Hills and sea in sight from windows – check.
    Close enough to mountains to ski after work – check.
    20 minute run through woods to work – check.
    Decent boozer in walking distance – 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yarp, local boozers are indeed “most excellent” provided they like You.

I’ve frequented a number of locals, one in particular I have to drive to but that feels more like home than any of t’others..

The Flower Pots, Chreriton, Hampshire… too many awards to mention from its own micro brewery in the outbuilding.

😀

scaled
    Free Member

My MTB local has just changed hands.

It’s not looking great at the moment. O ly a few of the regulars seem to be in there and they’re looking more grumpy than usual.

ton

i like a good drink more than most…….but i have never had a local, infact i dont like local boozers.
    i like to search out new pubs and good beers. why settle for the same all the time?

CHB

Despite having a “local” literally 12 inches from the bottom of my garden, I tend to drink in the centre of Leeds. Would probably consider Whitelocks the closest I have to a regular pub.

P-Jay
    Free Member

All my local pubs are family places with huge playgrounds and do more food than beer, I’ve got kids so it’s okay for a cheap family meal but I wouldn’t going in just for a pint.

My ‘local’ is actually a 45 min drive from me, I’m going Saturday night to catch up with some mates of mine, I like to drop in every 2-3 years, they’re like LBSs you’ve got to support them 😉

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Sadly, my local boozer, where I’ve been drinking on and off for nearly 40 years has recently closed down again. It seems to attract amateur landlords all sharing the dream of escaping the rat race to run a country pub. on average they last about 18months before they realise it’s effing hard work/run out of money/both.

sbob
    Free Member

My local is amazing.
    Probably shouldn’t advertise it though seeing as I run it. 😆

i like to search out new pubs and good beers. why settle for the same all the time?

Why go out searching for good beers when I can bring them to you? 🙂

Venison, Guinness and cranberry pie for dinner tonight. 8)

mefty
    Free Member

I go to a local, plenty of choice probably 10 pubs within 10 to 15 mins walking distance, also the smell of beer being brewed often wafts down from the brewery.

kimbers

I’ve just moved to Milton Keynes…….

That’ll be a no then!

Actually local isn’t too bad, but not a patch on when I lived in north London
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salisbury

jonr8
    Free Member

Where are you sbob? I need to come and visit.

dantsw13

I’m a lucky boy down here in East Sussex, with 4 pubs in my village, 2 of them excellent. My Local gives us free chips after our Tuesday night rides, and the landlady reckons it’s often her latest night of the week – often well after midnight!

The pub or restaurant quandry is a tough one. It’s hard to survive as just a boozer these days, and the good ones get the balance right.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We don’t use our local anywhere near as much as I’d like to, great little place. No telly, no games machines, no pool tables, no dart board, no music. Just good beers & good crack & a big fire (dogs welcome) Decent scran if you fancy too. It’s the busiest place in town.

matt_outandabout

Proper job.

kimbers

I come from the quaint market town of Dunstable, if I’m being honest it didn’t have much going for it, many might compare it to an aggressive pustulous boil on the flatulant arsehole that is Bedfordshire, but it did have the 12th century Norman King, it was sadly changing hands and a typical dunstablian took the obvious and logical step of razing it to the ground

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-19417750

simmy
    Free Member

We have had 3 pubs close in the past 3 years, 2 of these were 5 min walk, one was next door but one.

The closest is becoming a Indian restaurant, another was demolished, the other is now a Costcutter. I was never a big drinker, but I miss having a chat with the regulars who were outside having a smoke when I was passing with the dogs.

There is one 10 mins walk away which I’ve not been too since it was taken over as it is very much food oreintated now as the guy who is landlord has a posh restaurant in the next town. May pop in at some point as I can take my old bike, lock it up outside as its all downhill home 😀

ourmaninthenorth

It’s 100 paces from my front door to the bar.

I don’t know how many it is to get home….

bearnecessities

I have a great food-pub about 2 mins walk from my house and more traditional boozer is 5 minutes walk away with a great atmos, lovely building and good ales, but they got rid of the pool table & dart board years ago.

It’s torture, I’m so close to having a proper pub 😥

breadcrumb

I haven’t tried the local since we moved, does a mile down a country lane count as a local?

gozarch
    Free Member

Ours is a mile up and down a country lane, and I reckon that counts as local! Great food and beer (and cider) and lovely people too – a proper community

zilog6128

Yep! My “local” (20 min walk through town) is the only place I go regularly now. On first name terms with all the staff and a lot of the regulars so often pop in there on my own for a beer or two (handily it’s a 30s diversion off the cycle route from work to home). Best of all the OP would absolutely hate it as it’s not a pub and doesn’t even serve pints. 🙂

BigJohn

The Railway Inn has been our local for about 30 years. Last year we bought a house right opposite.

bearnecessities

Just to make sure you’re not my neighbour, you don’t live just outside of Leeds do you Big John?!

bob_summers

Actually local isn’t too bad, but not a patch on when I lived in north London
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salisbury

That was my local for about 12 years, along with a side street Irish bar which looked more like someone’s front room.

Just stopped off for a not-quite pint of keg Proper Job at my “local”, paid about £5.30, which hardly fosters regularity.

sweepy
    Free Member

We have a blinding local. Wide range of malts, guest on polypin which isn’t ideal but better than a badly kept cask, great food as long as you like (connoiseur) pie and chips, welcomes and encourages dogs, and a great atmosphere even if you do need a thick skin sometimes.
    Five miles away so ideal for the bike, quiet roads or an off road option if you can be arsed with the gates. Or we can get the bus, have a few pints, a nip to finish and chips on the bus home.

‘Per ardua ad astra’

chakaping
    Free Member

The Salisbury was my local about 8 years ago kimbers.

Awesome pub. Best in London back then, IMO.

CountZero

Got a reasonable choice of pubs locally, even in town. My current regular is the White Horse in Biddestone, which featured in the Sky One programme Agatha Rasin and the Quiche Of Death. Good beer, good food, nice atmosphere and the people running it are great.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Who's a happy bunny with a decent local boozer then?’ is closed to new replies.