Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whoops tech advce please
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Middleburn non driveside crankarm is absolutely not budging off the bb, stripped the thread off the crankarm with the bb extractor (bugger) so now can't use that. Frame is scrap as is the BB but would like to use the crank.

Any ideas???

I have had penetrating oil on it for a day to no avail (did that prior to) I'm thinking of cutting through the BB axle and then hammering out the taper in a vice. Non drive side came out in 30 secs but this sides been in situ for 8 odd years.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Cutting a BB axle is mighty tough, they're rock 'ard. If the threads are stripped, I'd say it's toast anyhow. If you do get it off to re-use it, it'll only give you the same problem later.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Get a pair of wedges and drift the crank arm off the spindle using the frame as a stop for the wedges, sorted.

Ensure you put a thin bit of wood behind the crank arm if you don't want to scratch it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

R —I know it will but that will be 8 years away as I have another UN72 for the new (to me) frame!!!

Good idea on the wedges I'll try that in the morning might get a bit of heat in there too.

davefarmer
    Free Member

not sure from your post if it is the non-drive that is stuck or not. If it is try this;

Remove the drive side crank,
    Remove non drive crank bolt
    undo the drive side bb cup, as the left (non-drice side) crank hits the frame and you continue to unwind the drive side bb cup, the frame will/should push the non-drive crank off.
    this usually works because the driev side bb cup is part of the bb cartridge, and as you unwind it the whole bb unit comes out of the frame, axle included. However, if you have a un71/2 bb the right cup may come out of the frame leaving the axle unit in their, then you are pretty stuffed.

May damage/scar the frame but you say it is scrap anyway

Or,

Ride the bike about fr a bit with no crank bolt, will damage the tapers as the crank works loose, but it should come off. Then walk home.

Or,

Cut the crank off

Or, drive a wedge between the frame and crank, kills both, but both are stuffed anyway

I would never want to re-fit a crank with a stripped thread, makes it kinda hard to get back off:) Once you have it off, by a new left crank

dale
    Free Member

try heating the arm with a blow torch,not near the b.bracket then use wedge or and make a puller

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's non drive side drive side is still OK. So changing rings will be OK hence me wanting to use the crankset again. Just wont **** budge have put a load more penetrating oil in there and will get at it with a big old wedge or two tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Can't believe I stripped out the thread what a cock…

Frame has snapped so damage to BB which wont fit new frame and frame is not a problem.

andrewh
    Free Member

What Davefarmer said. I did his first suggestion following a crank-bolt rounding and could still use the BB, frame was unmarked.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I've just understood what Dave F said and will try that…

Although it is a un72 so who knows!

Doh!!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Had a good go in the LBS with the guy there no joy.

On the plus side have a new XT Chainset.
    😳

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had the same problem a while ago, I cut through the BB axle with an angle grinder, and pressed the remains of the axle out of the crankarm in a 6" vice using a combination of spacers and some gentle heat from a blowtorch (there was quite a bang when it finally let go).

joolsburger
    Free Member

We tried all sorts but for £130 fitted I couldn't argue with a brand new XT.

Have now got a new (to me) Ellsworth Joker sprayed up beautifully in Saab graphite grey metallic and fitted everything today.

I am very very pleased.

J

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whoops tech advce please’ is closed to new replies.