Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Whoooo….going on holiday to Cornwall. What to see and do.
  • juanking

Slight thread hijack so apologies. We are looking at heading to Cornwall in June for a week. Where would you guys recommend staying, Padstow or St Austell? I went to Cornwall many times as a toddler but haven’t been for 30 odd years so would appreciate some suggestions. If you recommend places to stay too all the better, budget would be about 1k for accommodation. Also which part of the county gets better weather the North or South coast? Advice appreciated as always. Thanks. Juan.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

which part of the county gets better weather the North or South coast?

Water’s warmer on the South coast. Weather is the same everywhere (i.e. pissing down). All of it is warmer than Yorkshire (especially the water).

yunki
    Free Member

If you can get a day’s coastal walking in, then do it. Some unforgettable sea-cliff landscapes

Start at Treyarnon Bay and head East and you can grab a swim in the giant natural rock pool on the way..

Tregonning Hill is a great place for a view over the north, west and south coasts down to Lizard and up to clay pits and even Bodmin Moor when it’s clear – nice trail over the top.

our maths teacher at school was a Miss Tregonning..

Don’t know when you’re down but the way to do Eden is to find out if there is any decent bands you like playing there over the summer.

agreed.. Primal Scream last year.. or was it the year before..?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colournoise

Rik – Member
    slainte rob
    Nice one lad – they look great and we go past most of them on the bike rides.

If you’re into that stuff, there’s loads more in West Penwith. Grab a copy of Julian Cope’s Modern Antiquarian or check out http://www.headheritage.co.uk for details and directions.

slainte 8) rob

Ambrose

Cornwall- it is amazing. Looking through the suggestions above I find it hard to add anything apart from a C2C from Portreath to the South Coast, via Redruth and the various mining remains.

Land’s End IS tourist central. Cape Cornwall is far more betterer!

wallop

I grew up in Hayle, I am made of Philps pasties.

Pair it with a bottle of orange lucozade and there you have the world’s best hangover cure.

martinhutch

My Mother In Law lives in St Austell. Can’t say I’d recommend it as a holiday destination…

hugor
    Free Member

I stayed at the Fowey hotel in Fowey (spoken Foy).
    The fine dining restaurant regularly wins culinary awards and is definately worth a look. The meal we had there was fantastic.
    They also have a quality bar menu.
    Even if you don’t eat there go and have a pint in the bar. It sits high on the cliff top and has stunning 180 degree views of the estuary and Polruan village on the opposite side.
    There are some stunning coastal walks from Fowey and you can take the ferry over the estuary for 2 quid and have a little walk around Polruan fishing village which is charming and very “Cornwall” without the tourist swarms.

timber

To be honest, most of the pasty shops in the west are pretty good, rarely found anything decent east of Truro though.

Cheese and onion though? Not a Cornish pasty.

Juanking – North coast tends to be better sheltered from the breaking weather, Praa will be wet and stormy whilst Gwithian is dry and clean. When the south coast works though, it works real good. Head to Crantock, St.Austell is pretty industrial and not much of a beach area if you’re looking for a beach holiday.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Whoooo….going on holiday to Cornwall. What to see and do.’ is closed to new replies.