Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Whole Foods for Fuelling Big Road Ride
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

got a big road ride planned for Sat, about 8hrs in the saddle. I currently don’t have enough bars/gels that would last me through the ride. What else can I wrap up and keep in a jersey pocket that’s energy dense? I was thinking Soreen malt loaf, what else? I have a nut allergy so trail mix is out.
    Cheers

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

flapjack is good,preferably home made

adsh
    Free Member

Flapjack has too much fat for eating before during or after a ride. The fat prevents efficient absorbtion of carbohydrate. Sure lots of people eat it and will say it’s great but theoreticaly it’s not the best.

Malt loaf, bannanas, pressed sandwiches are what I use plus haribos or jelly babies.

hilldodger
    Free Member

mini pork pies, food of champions 🙂

schmiken

Dates, 9bars, Nakd bars, bananas?

gazc
    Free Member

nothing beats a squashed ham, cheese and pickle sandwich imo

DT78
    Free Member

Mini pork pies my fav too. I measure rides In ppu,s. 8 hours is a 4ppu ride. Nom nom. For that time i would also have a bag of jelly babies and a couple of emergency gels. Cold salted new potatoes are also lovely

crispy
    Free Member

recently when I’ve been out for long rides I keep fantasizing about, weirdly, pitta bread with peanut butter…

brassneck

Rice cakes, flavoured or not are a good savoury option, usually available from garages en route too. Teacakes (the kind you’d toast) also work well, bit of fruit for a lift and bread for satiation of hunger.

Haribo/jelly babies give me a colossal headrush and headache when used a few hours in. Maybe I just eat too many at once though 🙂

edhornby

not at all wierd crispy

small brown rolls with either peanut butter or nutella are great for on the bike as they are easily eaten, low GI and don’t self destruct in the jersey pocket – pitta would also work well

Haze

Squashed croissant with Nutella

binners

ransos
    Free Member

You’re not racing, so just take anything tasty that won’t fall to bits in your pocket. Or stop at a cafe like normal people do!

weeksy

bagels, with peanut butter and squashed bananas on… the snack full of awesomeness.

benp1

Flapjack also has a lot of sugar and other bits in it to help though

I actually found homemade flapjack to be the best feed when bikepacking. Its actually satisfying to eat and gave me a boost. I preferred it to really sugary stuff like jelly babies etc

I also like mrs crimbles coconut macaroons and eat nakd cocoa delight pieces

benp1

I’ve had the peanut butter in wholemeal pitta, sunflower seed bread or a sesame seed bagel for breakfast every work day for about the last 5 years, maybe more

Wholenut skin on peanut butter from Holland and Barrett

Breakfast of kings

eulach

Baked potatoes, better several small ones than one big one.
    Pork pie, boiled egg. Everything has its own wrapper.
    Not sure about dessert though.

antigee

malt loaf, bananas, dried apple rings and a soft chewy energy bar in the saddle bag just in case

mrs antigee buys and sometimes makes some sort of chickpea and sunflower seed balls – gets followed around by parrots though

scud
    Free Member

Have a look for a book called “Feed Zone Portables”, tried quite a few recipes from there and they have been good, especially some of the rice balls.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Jam sandwich; white sliced bread if you want the full-on instant energy, nice wholewheat sourdough if you want a more sustained release (and nicer bread).

jameso

Dates and jam on brown bread here for local hilly road rides of that kind of duration. Danish rye bread is amazing stuff for long-release energy. Clif bars are good too. Hate gels tho, no need for them at the pace you’ll maintain over 8hrs. Pretty much the worst energy source imo for longer rides. Jelly babies do a similar job if you need something like that but they can play havoc with my blood sugar levels.

maccruiskeen

For a long day theres a balance between how energy dense something is and how appetising. Gummy, sweet,malty sticky,icky,sicky goo might be imperially better – but if you’re planning to have some fun during these 8 hrs you could eat something nice as well.

I quite like grated carrot humous and bacon rolls on a ride, the carrot is just really refreshing.

MrNice
    Free Member

Feed Zone Portables gave me lots of good ideas (mini cheese and potato pies, yum). Though given Allen Lim’s history of working with people like Lance and Floyd I do wonder if there were some “special” ingredients that didn’t make it into the book.

ransos
    Free Member

For a long day theres a balance between how energy dense something is and how appetising. Gummy, sweet,malty sticky,icky,sicky goo might be imperially better – but if you’re planning to have some fun during these 8 hrs you could eat something nice as well.

Yup – even the pros have something a little bit appetising in their musettes.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bump,

the things like in the feed zone book, how do they stand up to a few hours in a jersey pocket?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

That feedzone portables book looks cracking – cheers…

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

just take a big fat burger in some grease paper.

or some clif bars, they’re nice

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Whole Foods for Fuelling Big Road Ride’ is closed to new replies.