Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Who Would You Book An Holiday With After The Volcano
  • grantway
    Free Member

So after the Volcano and all the interuptions of trying to get home.
    Who would you book an holiday or flight with now and who would you never travel with again.

john_drummer
    Free Member

with: Brittany Ferries / P&O / etc
    not with: an airline

of course, I'm being facetious.

RyanAir have hardly covered themselves with glory – but then they never do; Jet2 have appeared to be doing more than some other airlines to get people back, but they are reluctant to pay out for hotels etc.

But would I avoid flying? No, of course not.

Not going anywhere this year but simply because (a) I'm still skint from last year's holiday and (b) I really can't be bothered with all the hassle & expense. I'd rather be doing something enjoyable at home

kimbers

butlins?

sofatester
    Free Member

I'd rather be doing something enjoyable at home

😯

john_drummer
    Free Member

🙄

I'd rather be doing something enjoyable at home

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I think TUI Travel were great at how they handled people. They took people on coaches with reps all the way back to Calais, putting them up in hotels overnight and then drove them on to their departing airport. Can get better than that really.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I will book my next holiday with Rovos Air

Their fine piston propeller aircraft will get me to my holiday destination and back.

Whilst the suckers spend their holidays in airport lounges.

aracer
    Free Member

I will book my next holiday with Rovos Air

Yeah, but how are you planning on getting to SA?

naokfreek
    Free Member

butlins?

Go to ATP whilst your at it …sorted.

eldridge
    Free Member

Their fine piston propeller aircraft will get me to my holiday destination and back.

Only if they have found a way of burning fuel without ingesting ash-filled air from their immediate environment

Which aero-engine physics would suggest they haven't

Down you go!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah, but how are you planning on getting to SA?

There's always got to be a "smart arse"…………hasn't there ?

By boat.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Down you go!

Not at all. The problem with the "ash" is the glass which is sucked in by the jet engines, which is melted by the heat, but solidifies again as it cools before being expelled, thereby leaving solid lumps of glass stuck in the jet engines.

Of course I'm not a rocket scientist so I could be completely wrong and talking bollox.

But I'll wait until one comes along to tell me I'm wrong. Then I'll review the situation. Are you a rocket scientist ?

AndyF1
    Free Member

Rockets could be the answer.

hora
    Free Member

I dunno, I love roadtrips now. Europe has alot to offer and being mobile is better than being stuck in once city or a beach with a moped. Never been a fan of beach holidays anyway and a colleague of mine lives for that two week holiday a year where she takes two planes, travels thousands of miles to the Maldives or whatever it is called. Very pretty (admitably) but at what point does one beach become that much better than the rest?

bassspine
    Free Member

I'm 6'2" so travel by jet has always been painfully cramped, I hate it. So year before last, we went to Barcelona by train. The journey itself was fun, really pleasant. And railway stations tend to be near the place you're going, not 45 miles away from them.

Next time we go abroad, I fancy booking a cabin on a cargo ship. You can travel in style, it just means you have to take a bigger book with you…

hora
    Free Member

It also means you can steadily feed on the Philippino staff and then throw their bodies over the side when finished.

bassspine
    Free Member

hora – bwahahaha 😈

hora
    Free Member

How is the Countess my Lord?

Edukator
    Free Member

I was in Salou a few days ago, quite peaceful with no planes and not so many drunken Brits.

julianwilson
    Free Member

trains are ace! We went on a lovely holiday to Belgium and it about 7 1/2 hours from out front door to the hotel room there. Since we live in deepest devon and it takes hours to get to most airports anyway, we hardly ever do. It feels like your holiday starts when you get on the ferry which is 15 minutes away, so i would rather do that than faff about getting to/through airports. Come to think of it i think the last time i got a plane was in 1998. I have however been to europe at least 6 or 7 times since.

hora
    Free Member

I hate planes. The shops in the airport, the pap they tempt you with on the plane etc.

Its like a conveyor belt where everyone stands with open hands asking for the contents of your wallet for 1/2 the value in good in return..

Plus, on my last flight I had a lad sat next to me who stank of alcohol, kept on getting up to run to the toilet and irritated me. I ended up giving him a bottle of water and telling him to neck it.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

We organized and booked our own holiday in Japan and was stuck in Dubai for 6 days on the way back. Airline paid for hotel, food and drinks. We had a great extra holiday at nearly no cost. Lovely hotel apartment with gym and pool. Kids missed some school and we lost some wages. I know some people had some very bad experiences but I cant complain. All part of the fun when your traveling.

snowslave

Kiera knightley would be good I think, all things being equal. Which they're not

hora
    Free Member

The next time a door to door salesman offers me 'Volcano insurance'….. 😆

stevomcd
    Free Member

Are you a rocket scientist ?

Yes! (Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics, undergraduate thesis in jet engine design!)

I REALLY wouldn't fancy it in a piston/propeller aircraft either. The ash trashes the leading edges of the propeller blades and would be very likely to build up in a piston engine (operating temperatures plenty hot enough to melt the ash) as well.

Most modern propeller-driven planes are turbo-props anyway (jet-powered propellers) so the same issues would apply.

NOW you're going down! 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Basalt melts in the 1000-1200°C range, even the hottest point of a jet engine without reheat, the exhaust, only gets up to 600°C.

Edit to add after Googling: according to Garrett, the exhaust gases of a turbo charged petro engine can get up to 870°C. Even if the exhaust manifold reached the same temperature it still wouldn't melt the dust.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are you a rocket scientist ?

Yes! (Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics, undergraduate thesis in jet engine design!)

Well I was waiting for one to come along 8)

OK, in that case……………..I'm reviewing the situation………..I think I'd better think it out again!

It's looking good for Torquay.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sister in law is a trolley dolly for Thomas cook and they caught up with all their European flights in two days! Sounds pretty impressive to me!

scraprider
    Free Member

dont care , spent far to much time moving around in the army , now have a very nice pikey van , go all over th U.K innit.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Basalt melts in the 1000-1200°C range, even the hottest point of a jet engine without reheat, the exhaust, only gets up to 600°C.

Edit to add after Googling: according to Garrett, the exhaust gases of a turbo charged petro engine can get up to 870°C. Even if the exhaust manifold reached the same temperature it still wouldn't melt the dust.

Hottest point of a jet engine is definitely not the exhaust gases! Going through the turbine cools the air significantly. Hottest part of the engine is just after the combustion chamber (as you'd expect), where the temperature goes way, way over 1000°C (beyond the melting point of the metal used in the engine in many cases – some cunning cooling methods are used). I think even our dinky little model-scale one was designed for just under 1000°K (727°C) at the turbine inlet.

I'm going on that BBC show the other day which reckoned the dust melted at around 600°C. They had a neat little demo set-up in a lab where you could see the glass building up on the turbine blades. 😀

bassspine
    Free Member

edukator: check this out interesting…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

You're kidding right? Gas Turbine's run way hotter than that. In excess of 1000 deg c.

aP
    Free Member

Do package holidays still exist? I thought they'd stopped in the 70s.

Edukator
    Free Member

bassspine, your link confirms that the dust requires over 1000°C to melt it as a geologist would predict and why I baulked at stevomdc's assertion that a piston engine would melt it. Aircraft piston engines breathe filtered air so the hottest part the dust can meet is the exhaust manifold which is not hot enough to melt the dust.

I'm wrong about the temperatures of gas turbines though. I wasn't kidding thekingisdead, just plain wrong (but then so was a guy with a mechanical engineering degree with aeronautics in asserting a piston engine would melt it).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'm wrong …………. (but then so was a guy with a mechanical engineering degree with aeronautics in asserting a piston engine would melt it).

Don't shatter my faith in rocket scientists 😐

bartat
    Free Member

I'd travel with BA. I was stuck in Boston for a few days and those in the party with Virgin were much worse off. Less info, fewer planes. The BA agent worked flat out to get us back.

Most ironic moment – getting through to flightside in Logan only for most flights to be cancelled…. except the one to Rekjavik. There's no justice.

aracer
    Free Member

Sister in law is a trolley dolly for Thomas cook and they caught up with all their European flights in two days!

Well TC were one of the few airlines piggybacking on BA's brinkmanship on Tuesday night – quite a few coming in just after 10pm (i.e. in the air before they'd announced they were re-opening) – so I'm not really surprised by that.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Who Would You Book An Holiday With After The Volcano’ is closed to new replies.