Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • who was the greatest british footballer of all time!
  • surfer
    Free Member

it says that Sir Stanley only had 792 top level appearances and 54 international appearances against Ryan Giigs at 863 and counting and 64 international.

But how many of those where full games? Giggs (and many others more recently) come on for only part of a game but that still counts as an appearance.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s Kenny Dalglish, simple as that.

donsimon
    Free Member

But how many of those where full games? Giggs (and many others more recently) come on for only part of a game but that still counts as an appearance.

Doesn’t really matter, does it?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Giggs??? Lol!

Good player, and part of a great side that have more or less dominated English football for the past two decades. But the greatest ever British footballer? No. 100’s of better players.

People advocating for him remind me of the best 100 songs/album lists that regualrly feature current bands in the top ten….like Snow Patrol, Coldplay…. 🙄 The same people who believe football began with the formation of the Premier League.

donsimon
    Free Member

Bobby Shinton?
    Billy Ashcroft?
    Graham Whittle?
    Eddie Niedzwiecki?
    Gary Bennett?
    Dai Davies?
    Arfon Griffiths?
    Alan Dwyer?
    Gareth Davies?

theotherjonv

For sheer unfulfilled talent, Brian Clough. His record is almost beyond compare and but for that injury would have been a great of the game. But then if he’d had a full and successful career, would he have had the same ambition and desire that made him the manager he was?

Seeing as someone mentioned goalkeepers, I’m a connoiseur having played in that position for 20-odd years myself. Gordon Banks was undeniably very very good, but I wonder if he’s always trotted out as a great because of his WC Winners medal and THAT save in 1970.

Shilton was practically flawless. Not showy (which Banks could be, a bit) he got the job done with ruthless efficiency and was a great talker and organiser which often meant that chances were snuffed out. It’s the nature of the job that a good goalkeeper behind a poor defence will make more saves than one behind a good defence. His big error against Poland in 73 was because he was trying to be too good.

But for me it’s a toss up between 2 for the greatest British Goalkeepers

The most natural GK I’ve ever seen; he practically invented using his feet to make saves.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fp4aD3X-E[/video]

or a binman from Llandudno

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZbxzGPHlc[/video]

I used to go to Plough Lane in the 90’s to see the best GK’s close up – you could walk in for cash and stand at the front no matter who was there. The Dons were a big physical side and used to batter the keepers with high balls all day. After about 5 mins Everton conceded a free kick on the half way line and they all piled forward – Fashanu, Young, Cork, etc. and the ball was duly lumped in to the box. Big Nev called clearly and came out for it, and a split second later Fashanu piled into him to set a marker for the day. And bounced off about 3 yards. Nev put the ball under one arm, reached out a huge gloved paw and help Fash back to his feet, dusted him down and sent him on his way with a grin. They didn’t try it that often that day.

Finally, the best player you never saw….

Robin Friday. Google it.

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘who was the greatest british footballer of all time!’ is closed to new replies.