Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • who was the greatest british footballer of all time!
  • foxyboy
    Free Member

bobby charlton duncan edwards and george best would be high on my list. although duncan edwards god rest his soul never filled his full potential due to his tragic death at munich.

nonk
    Free Member

dont reckon best did either.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mickey Quinn when he was at Newcastle.

geoffj

Frank Worthington FTW

yossarian
    Free Member

Bobby Moore

Captained England to world cup glory and was reckoned by pele (who could play a bit) as the best defender he ever faced. Proper gent also.

Junkyard
    Free Member

modern era i.e. players I have seen I would say giggs for his entire career and achievments
    Before my time I would say John Charles or Denis Law

trailmonkey

The greatest English born player never to play for England, my vote goes to……………………

philconsequence
    Free Member

broose grobbelaahhhhh

nonk
    Free Member

heard this one mulled over in the pub and notice that no one ever says beckham, i reckon giggs has to be near the top.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gareth Edwards, JPR or the entire VietGwent.

Man’s football.

😉

foxyboy
    Free Member

denis law king of the stretford end that sends shiver down my spine. i know a great story about denis which epitomises everything that is wrong in modern football today. when he went for his first trial at huddersfield he had to borrow a pair of football boots because his parents could not buy him any as they were so poor. modern football is a complete joke with very average players earning telephone number salaries. ryan giggs is my hero a true pro untainted by the modern game and no one on earth will ever beat his haul of 11 premier league titles and 606 appearances.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

John Charles.

Garry_Lager

William Ralph Dean

If you want to talk records that will never be beaten:
    1927-1928 season. League goals – 60. Goals in all competition – 100.

In the words of Bill Shankly: The Greatest centre forward there ever will be.

foxyboy
    Free Member

in 1992 liverpool had just beaten man utd at anfield and ended uniteds title hopes. as ryan giggs left anfield a liverpool fan came up to him and asked for his autograph, giggs was only 18 at the time and he duly obliged and give the liverpool fan his autograph. the liverpool fan then ripped up the autograph and then threw it back in giggies face and said you will never win the premiership as long as you live ryan. THE REST IS JUST HISTORY!

catnash
    Free Member

Nobby Stiles?

donsimon
    Free Member

Gotta be Giggs hasn’t it? About the only thing he hasn’t got is a World Cup Winner’s (or even participant’s) medal.
    Best, Edwards and Gazza never fulfilled the potential for various reasons, Giggs I think has.

carbon337
    Free Member

Isnt Kevin Keegan on record saying that Quinn was the best natural finisher and the fastest player over 10 yards he had ever seen.

However IMO the greatest was Gazza Im afraid. A genius on the field who also succeeded in other countries unlike others mentioned above.

There are some great you tube clips of him. I’m not condoning the wife beating, drugs and drinking though.

warton
    Free Member

Mickey Quinn when he was at Newcastle.

+100 he was class. fat, lazy and drunk.

seriously, my choice would be Hoddle, played like a brazilian. we would of won the 86 world cup if Sir Bobby built the team around him.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

trailmonkey +1

Legend for me when he played in green. What’s he up to these days?

Not sure he was the greatest, but he was a “great” for sure. Predictable nominations for Giggs – but nowhere near being the “greatest”.

carbon337
    Free Member

Didnt McGrath also become an alcoholic? He was in that Tony Adams place for treatment. He was an Alcoholic whilst playing too apparently.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

El Hadj Diouf, surely.

Crag
    Free Member

Mel Sterland ftw.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DD gigs was not great?
    Most decorated british footballer of all time
    What more do you want?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just saying he’s nowhere near being the greatest JY. Decorated? Yes. Long career? Yes. Great player? Yes. In a league with the “greatest”? Pah, you’re joking.

Great personality though.

trailmonkey

Legend for me when he played in green.

One of the players of the tournament at Italia 90, had Baggio in his pocket in the QF and if I’m not mistaken, made the FIFA XI for the competion. It’s one thing to play at the WC/EC/CA quite another to be outstanding at one. For me, that’s the true mark of a great and sadly, Giggs and Best can never reach that level, all we can do is make assumptions.

midlifecrashes

Don’t forget Clough. 197 goals in 213 games at Boro, then off to Sunderland for 54 goals in 61 games. Got injured and never had a chance to show more, only two England starts.

donsimon
    Free Member

Unfortunately for Giggs is the fact he’s Welsh and never going to be able to make it big on the world stage, same affliction as Sparky, Ian Rush and Mickey Thomas. But not done too bad in European competions…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Great personality though.

cheers genuine LOL

iDave
    Free Member

Pele thought George Best was the greatest player in the world

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Crag – Member
    Mel Sterland ftw.

POSTED 18 MINUTES AGO

Zico, Zico, Zico!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Michael Caine in Escape to Victory.

He was like brave John Terry, leading our boys against the enemy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the OP needs to rephrase the question. “who was the greatest Manchester United player of all time?”

exilegeordie
    Free Member

For me? Peter Beardsley. Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton…didn’t matter who he played for. The guy was class. Gary Lineker would’ve been lost without him playing for England.

(And before anyone says it, yes I am from Newcastle, and yes, I am biased).

foxyboy
    Free Member

what about jackie milburn.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Billy Liddell

cheez0
    Free Member

justin edinburgh

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Vince Hilaire.

epicyclo

Stanley Matthews

Cletus

Simon Garner

Spaceman
    Free Member

Jimmy Johnstone, unplayable on his day.

Dalgleish was pretty good too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘who was the greatest british footballer of all time!’ is closed to new replies.