Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • who was the greatest boxer of all time?
  • foxyboy
    Free Member

must be cassius clay a talent with out equal.

Jammy111
    Free Member

08 teams?

sc-xc

Rocky II

Also..

foxyboy
    Free Member

bruno great guy but your having a laugh, really sad how it turned out for him.

sc-xc

spacemonkey

Ali was as much about personality and charisma as he was about ability. Shame he was a rude, self-righteous prick (who happened to be quite capable inside the ring).

Possible the best, but not IMO. Maybe only those who’ve genuinely witnessed 50yrs or so of talent can say whether he was. Unfortunate that he finds himself only a husk of the man he once was.

user-removed
    Free Member

fourcrossjohn 🙂

spacemonkey

fourcrossjohn

Did he win?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Our ‘Enry

user-removed
    Free Member

spacemonkey – Member

fourcrossjohn

Did he win?

So far, yes, I think. Haven’t re-visited the thread for a while, but he did put the agressor on his erse in round one. Ding ding!!

spacemonkey

So far, yes, I think. Haven’t re-visited the thread for a while, but he did put the agressor on his erse in round one. Ding ding!!

Nice. I’ll check it out.

RustySpanner

who What was the greatest boxer of all time?

Possibly this one:

Or this one:

But I like this one best of all:

Northwind

Rocky Balboa

jamesca
    Free Member

Audley Harrison. Eng of thread!!

votchy
    Free Member

Serious vote for me: Marvellous Marvin Hagler

enfht
    Free Member

Jimmy Wilde, by a farmer’s mile

philconsequence
    Free Member

brad pit in Snatch. i believe that’s a legal fact.

hora
    Free Member

Arthur Abraham is technically very good and not a quiter. He lost his recent match but google him if you want to see how he coped in a previous.

At the weekend I watched a documentary on George Foreman and I must say I’ve alot of respect for the man outside of the ring.

geoffj

Late 80s Tyson – untouchable.

yunki
    Free Member

that pikey fella from Epsom.. or Barry McGuigan..
    or…

Garry_Lager

LOL. I suppose someone had to say it.

Sugar Ray Robinson is the consensus pick as best pound for pound boxer who ever laced them up. Even for such an impossible question, he’s nearly always picked #1.

It’s an even tougher question because the prime of boxing was 1900 – 1960ish, with the 1970 heavyweights being the swansong. So most of the real legends were dead before any of us were born.

MSP

Heavyweights I would say Tyson just shades Ali hard to tell as I am not sure the competition was so strong for Tyson, where Ali fought a few other great boxers.

Around I would go for Hagler, certainly the greatest fight I have seen.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHqEUX2Vw6k[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJLmjsnD09w&feature=related[/video]

geoffj

LOL. I suppose someone had to say it.

Do you remember watching him as a 19 year old? Pure aggression and power. Before he went off the rails he was unstoppable.

Ali never did it for me. Too full of his own self importance.

I guess the real best pound for pound lighter has to be one of the Cubans. Stevenson perhaps?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Caroline Dearing is the undisputed world boxing champion. Capable of ‘wrapping and packing’ a 5 bedroom, 3 storey town house in 4hrs 32secs she has no known breakages to her name

RustySpanner

Well, if we’re going to be serious, then in the modern era it’s Chavez no question.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ1D_07NPAE[/video]

Garry_Lager

Sure, Tyson was awesome and more than that be carried the whole sport on his back for about 10 years. But he never fought anyone in his prime (an auld Larry Holmes and a past it Michael Spinks don’t count). You can’t compare Tyson to a heavyweight legend like Ali or Joe Louis, they’re just in different solar systems.

Tyson and Lennox Lewis would be a more reasonable comparison. Could argue the toss for one or the other either way.

geoffj

Lennox Lewis would be a more reasonable comparison.

😆

thejesmonddingo

If Hagler was good,then Sugar Ray Leonard,who beat him,Roberto Duran,Wilfredo Benitez and Thomas Hearns,was much better.
    ian

Bagstard
    Free Member

Tyson in his prime would have spanked Lewis all over the show! He was like a mythical monster in his day, most of the opposition lost all heart before he had swung a punch.

MSP

thejesmonddingo – Member

If Hagler was good,then Sugar Ray Leonard,who beat him,Roberto Duran,Wilfredo Benitez and Thomas Hearns,was much better.
    ian

Great boxers lose fights too, but each fighter at their best, then I reckon Hagler would have won. Hearns and Duran also beat SR.

What a great era for middleweight boxing that was, I can’t think of any other era with so many top notch boxers fighting at around the same weight. As well as those top four there was also another half dozen that wasn’t far off and would probably been champions in anther era.

ton

hagler
    leonard
    chaves
    marciano
    roy jones jr
    joe louis
    robinson
    ali
    mayweather

all could contend for the greatest boxer ever.

DezB
    Free Member

Henry Armstrong
    Roberto Duran
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Muhammad Ali
    Manny Pacquiao

But on a forum where someone calls Muhammad Ali a “prick” I’m not discussing any further. 😕

HTTP404
    Free Member

as above and….

Julio César Chávez
    Arturo Gatti
    Joe Calzhage

???

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Agreed that for probably a 2 year period Tyson would have destroyed any fighter that got in the ring with him, but he’s not the greatest fighter of all time. No enduring legacy, not great enough competition in the division and ultimately beaten by James Buster Douglas.

He was one of the few real boxers whose highlights showreel looked like it was made by hollywood though. I remember seeing one fight where an uppercut actually lifted his opponent off of his feet, and that’s only supposed to happen in cartoons.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

According to lots of folk on forums, Chainreactioncycles have been posting small items such as chain links, rotor bolts, gear cables and wrong things in at least A4 sized cardboard boxes, often much bigger. They must be the greatest boxers of all time

roper
    Free Member

Pure aggression and power

This sort of sums up Tyson’s style of fighting. There is a lot more to boxing than just hitting hard and thuggery. The likes of Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson,Joe Louis ,Chavezall demonstrated this and won doing so. I suspect Ali did more for boxing than anyone though and put him as the one I would most have loved to see fight in the prime.

warton
    Free Member

Ali was as much about personality and charisma as he was about ability. Shame he was a rude, self-righteous prick (who happened to be quite capable inside the ring).

+1 he pretty much destroyed the life of Joe Frasier (who by the way fought most of his career pretty much blind in one eye, and beat Ali)

if you could organise a fight between Tyson and Ali both in their prime Tyson would of ripped him apart, Ali struggled against fighters who kept on coming, and tyson was the best at getting inside and letting rip.

best pound for pound IMO would be sugar ray or Hagler.

Bagstard
    Free Member

The only person to beat Tyson was Tyson, Buster Douglas was just lucky to catch him on his way down. I wasn’t daying Tyson was the greatest, just that Lewis wouldn’t have bothered him.

I think it is an era thing, Ali leaves me cold, a bit like Elvis I just don’t get it.

Calzaghe would maybe get my vote, undefeated and walked away in one piece. Not many can say that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘who was the greatest boxer of all time?’ is closed to new replies.