Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Who was the first ever mountain biker to ride in Cannock Chase?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ll give you a clue, it might have been me…

Can anyone beat 1976?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

grum
    Free Member

timmys

I tried in 1903 but I forgot my permit so got chased off (I heard the braking bumps were so bad it wasn’t worth it anyway).

grum
    Free Member

I was of course on a rigid singlespeed, which I can assure you was very niche at the time.

maxray
    Free Member

I wasn’t born in 76, however when I started going up there in 2001 ish there wasn’t half the stuff there is now. I’m guessing locals have ridden in the woods for donkeys years tho.

redthunder
    Free Member

Deveron53
    Free Member

and on what bike ChunkyMTB? (we probably went to the same school, I had left Western Springs and was about to go to Fair Oak)

Deveron53
    Free Member

No braking bumps in 1976 (no bloody brakes or so it seemed!)

maxray
    Free Member

For a relatively small area it does have tons of tracks , and a mighty Bacon and sausage sarny too 🙂

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I lived in Milford from 1972-85 and my paper round included many of the secluded houses around Brocton up the tracks towards the German Cutting so I think pedalling around here probably counts. Used to regularly get around the Sherbrook valley etc. Then I got into motorcycle trials, used to go all over until the big fires in ’76 when the restrictions started.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Early sixties, we used to jump ‘trackers’ in a small quarry near seven springs. I think the lads from the Haywoods were there before us.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I was there in 1803, cutting straight through all the switchbacks.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

found a tune called “Cannock Chase” by Labi Siffre the other day!

Scamper
    Free Member

If fireroads were on the Chase in the 70’s then i’d expect singlespeeders to have been around then, too.

nonk
    Free Member

slowoldgit how’s the health old bean?

singlespeedstu

grum – Member

I was of course on a rigid singlespeed, which I can assure you wasn’t very niche at the time.

FTFY.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Who was the first ever mountain biker to ride in Cannock Chase?’ is closed to new replies.