• This topic has 112 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Who wants to help me choose the N+1?
  • rogermoore

Sorry to interrupt, if one was to have the same requirement as the OP, but had feet in the ‘steel-is-real’ camp – where would the collective hive point to? CdF? Others?
    RM.

bikebouy
    Free Member

pictonroad – Member
    tripster & set of spare set of wheels it is then. Shimano 105 hydraulic groupset build.

Just succumb already, stop playing hard to get.

Then Sir your solution hits you smack in the face this (and many others) point out ^^

Prologue in Harrogate has a Tripster built up in a 54 for £2300.. off you go and buy it, then report back 😀

m1kea
    Free Member

Recently got a Arkose 4 as a middling N+1. Immediately swapped the post, saddle, stem, bars, wheels and 50 ring.

Tripsters look great but what about an Enigma Etape or Burls equivalent if you don’t want to be a Kinesis fanboi?

Did look at the stainless Croix Der Fer which looked very nice and elegant but over budget for what it’ll be used for.

DezB
    Free Member

Prologue in Harrogate has a Tripster built up in a 54 for £2300.. off you go and buy it, then report back

Ok. Where’s Harrogate? 5 and a half hours away! 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

if one was to have the same requirement as the OP, but had feet in the ‘steel-is-real’ camp

Pfft. That’s easy!
    http://www.ninerbikes.com/rlt9steel

iainc

if one was to have the same requirement as the OP, but had feet in the ‘steel-is-real’ camp

I’d say CDF30, but thats because I have one 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Enigma Etape

Now you’ve just delayed things!

benp1

Actually I forgot about the Shand Stoater, I really like those as well as the Tripster and the Stigmate

pictonroad

you coming on the DrP London to Brighton gnarmac and panty twanging ride next weekend?

54cm Tripster to fondle..

DezB
    Free Member

Unfortunately not, or I’d be fondling aplenty.

rogermoore

That RLT is nice! Might have to look further into that.
    RM.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you wanted steel of a comparable quality the Croix de Fer is not the way to go as it weighs many, many, many pounds. A Shand Stoater would be lovely.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Munrobiker, a stoater weighs less than a CdF??

bikebouy
    Free Member

Harrogate is in that Yoikshyre.. It’s 4hrs from London for me and yet I can get there 🙄 (and 6 from sunny Hampshire Coast)

Theres this amazballz bit of tech called a telephone, and if you are dexterous enough there are buttons on it to press and you can listen and speak into it and you’d swear you are talking to God or something.

The reason I said it was there is because it’s already built and has all the bits on you’ll ever need, some nice bits, some shiny bits and it’s been sitting under their widescreen TV for a couple of months so mebbies.. just mebbies they’ll do some sort of deal on it..
    ya
    neva
    knaa
    d’ya.

HTH 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, certainly. (My phone appears to have no “buttons” though…). But I wanted to go and fondle it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Possibly not but it is at least pretty enough to justify it’s weight.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Then plan a day oooot with the wife/gf/kids/mom/dad/anyone who will go with you and take a day out to view it then.. 🙄

Take your trunks and visit the Spa Baths, then go to Mirrabells and have supper too.

Or, or take me and treat me 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t forget Betty’s 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh yeah, tea n cake £60! Good Choice Sir 8)

Worth it though, DezB eh?

Eh?

mrblobby
    Free Member

DezB sounds like he can afford it 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wish I’d not posted that bloody photo of the Scott. Every time I click on this thread, there it is tempting me 😕

DT78
    Free Member

That Scott has internal routing for a dropper post according to the road.cc review. Wonder how much…..

DrP

Dez… You can pop along add ride my tripster for a bit if you want?

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks DrP! Shall I bring the money for the BBB with me, or have you still not decided 😉

imn

if one was to have the same requirement as the OP, but had feet in the ‘steel-is-real’ camp – where would the collective hive point to? CdF? Others?

How about the newly announced Kona Roadhouse? More info

rogermoore

Thanks IMN, that looks good too and I have a bit of a soft-spot for Kona. Had a look at the Cotic Escapade on their website last night which looks great value for the Frame and Fork at £350. So many choices… 😕
    RM.

shandcycles
    Free Member

the CdF frame is listed as 2.25kg, the Stoater is 2kg.

DezB
    Free Member

Found a deal on a Stigmata frame… any opinions on this build?

Santa Cruz Stigmata
    Kinesis Crosslight wheels
    Shimano Ultegra groupset

DezB
    Free Member

Argh… then I see the Lysnkey Cooper CX frame on CRC..

This is such a hard decision!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Found a deal on a Stigmata frame… any opinions on this build?

Santa Cruz Stigmata
    Kinesis Crosslight wheels
    Shimano Ultegra groupset

Top end frame.
    Mid range group.
    Budget wheels.

DezB
    Free Member

Mid range group.

Is it though?

Fair points 🙂 Gotta be compromises or, well you know ££££..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is a bit.

More the budget wheels I’d have issue with. 200 quid wheels on a 2 grand frame seems wrong somehow. At least the wheels are easy to upgrade when you have the cash.

DezB
    Free Member

Id go with SRAM Force CX1, but I don’t want a 1x crank for on the road, I reckon it’d spin out too much.
    just being lazy with the wheels. Should do a build on JRA.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe something disc from Wheelsmith?

DezB
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for that.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I’m currently having the same dilemma / debate.

I fancy getting a cross bike although I don’t really need one. Definitely an N+1 purchase.

I rather like the look of this –

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/all-terrain/cx-cyclocross/saxon-cross-team/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like the look of that Saxon Cross. Seems quite weighty though. Wondering where the heft is.

honourablegeorge

DezB – Member
    Id go with SRAM Force CX1, but I don’t want a 1x crank for on the road,

“I’d go with a circle, but I only like squares” 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

ooh, ya cheeky bogger… there’s more to the groupset than the crank 😛

pictonroad

Shimano hydraulic STI are blinking marvellous, the shifting is exceptional and braking hard from the hoods on a gravelly descent with perfect control is witchcraft if you’re used to callipers on the road.

Not tried the sram so can’t compare.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Who wants to help me choose the N+1?’ is closed to new replies.