Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Who uses rollers here?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ve just got a set on the way from CRC (them there Jetblack alloy ones) as I’m looking to get into a little track riding this summer. They look a little more interesting than a static bike/turbo.

Any good bails from first attempts?

diz

Thinking of getting some, so I’m interested in how you get on with them.

Digger90
    Free Member

It takes a few attempts to get used to them… at first it’s really shaky and weird.

Top tips are to place rollers in a doorway/frame so you can support yourself if necessary, or at least reach out. Or next to some furniture that you can reach out to if needed.

After you’ve done a few rides you’ll feel great on them. Rollers really help you develop a smooth spin and develop your style.

Digger90
    Free Member

PS – Not a bad idea to use flat pedals the first couple of times… getting used to riding rollers is enough to worry about without worrying about crashing in clipless pedals.

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

Don’t worry too much about bailing, because there is no forward momentum, it’s very unspectacular should you have a mishap.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Use them three times a week as they allow me to concentrate on sustaining a set power output without the hassle of uphill’s and downhill’s getting in the way.

Took me a handful sessions to get used them

tomhughes
    Free Member

As the others have mentioned its good to try them in a narrow hallway or similar when you start so you have 2 sides to lean on.
    Bear in mind most people take a good hour or 2 at least to pick them up so don’t give up! What generally happens is you feel you can’t ride them then suddenly it clicks and your away.

Also the faster you go the more stable you get, so be brave!

I got a set of rollers about 3 years ago, one of the best purchases I ever made. I sold my turbo as I now have a set of kreitler 2.25s which have tonnes of resistance so you can put out anything up to 1000 watts which is pretty much enough for any kind of training! They also don’t risk the warranty of your carbon frame.

sefton
    Free Member

yep got some last winter, there are great imo. get it next to a wall so you can use your elbow to steady you. it will take a good 10 scary minutes to get used to them.

linked up to a hrm theres loads of workouts to get your heart pumping.

flashes
    Free Member

I use them between 2 motorbikes in the garage. OK, but I haven’t used them for ages. It’s quite boring……………..

float
    Free Member

my top tip: turn the bars to keep your balance rather than trying to lean (leaning doesnt work on rollers like it does on the road)

tonyd

I wouldn’t recommend using flats. Set up in a doorway or next to something you can use to support yourself, clip in, off you go. Get ready to grab what’s next to you for support but the more confident you are the easier it will be.

Rollers help you to develop a great and even pedal stroke, and the smoother your pedal stroke the easier it is to ride rollers. IMO if you use flats you’ll risk an uneven pedal stroke, find it harder, and enjoy it less.

tonyd

my top tip: turn the bars to keep your balance rather than trying to lean (leaning doesnt work on rollers like it does on the road)

Ha, yes. I’ve had some interesting ‘swervy moments’ – violently going left, then right, then left…. etc until finally either falling off sideways or grabbing the bookcase next to me, falling off sideways, and pulling the bookcase on top of me 🙂

HermanShake
    Free Member

Some good accounts here, that’s interesting about the bars/lean. Noted!

paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

I used to use mine in the kitchen when I first got them by the sink, was definitly a wake up call the static shock I got when I put my hand down to steady myself……

Had quite a lot of fun zapping my mrs as she walked by for a time although she is wise to it now!! 😀

GavinB

It took me a bit of time to get the nerve to ride them. I had someone hold, then just watch my bars, as I worked up the speed. After about 10-20 minutes I kinda got the fell of them, and ‘got it’.

I’ve never really been a fan of a turbo (although we’ve got one, for Mrs B), so was impressed at how good a workout it gives you, and also how I felt I was improving my riding. The biggest tip I can give is to focus on your core: smooth circles through the pedals and control your movements through your core. Smooth is good – jerky movements are exciting 😯

tonyg2003

I used to ride them a lot. Years ago in my shared house, when back from the pub, one of my housemates was determined to show me how easy they were to use. He only justed missed our second floor window as he came off. Happy days…

monkeyp

I got a set of Tax Anteras from bike.discount.de – about £30 cheaper then in the uk – last week. Had no problems. Just need to keep the ‘weighting balanced when starting and there is no issue.

I was amazed at how much resistance you get. Hit 30mph for a while and you’ll know it. 30 mins seems to give a good workout with intervals.

I have mine set up in the shed with a portable dvd player to watch Roam or such like on. Time flies!

zerocool

The GF tried a set of CycleOp rollers last week. She said it was pretty easy to get used to (about 30 minutes), but ended up sending them back as she kept shocking herself with the Static build up. CRC had some Alu ones for £130 that would probably solve that problem, but she’s gonna wait until autumn to get a set now

TiRed

I have a set of Kreitler medium. I bought them in the US They are beautifully made and very smooth with good resistance. The action of balancing makes them no less boring than a turbo.

As for learning – my then 8yo had no trouble. First attempt. On knoblies 😯 .

Top tips: Put a small light on your bike. Project onto the wall/garage door and try and keep it in the same spot. Makes balancing much easier when learning. Learn in a doorway or next to a table. Perfect your spin. Then buy some decent Pearl Izumi Softshell Am Fib tights and ride on the road in all weathers. Job done.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting either a trainer or rollers … is it viable to ride out of the saddle on rollers?

I’m a bit torn, what’s the deciding factor between the 2 for most people?

float
    Free Member

Ive tried both and i think rollers are more fun. as said above they still make you work pretty hard despite not having any built in resistance.

keavo
    Free Member

i use rollers, elite variosomething or other with 3 resistance settings. i have had a good turbo trainer for years too. they are both good tools for training but i prefer riding the rollers now. i can’t ride rollers out of the saddle. reminds me of riding fast in bunch on the road, good pedalling technique required/developed.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I ended up getting a turbo as thought if using them when too tired to go for a ride or gubbed towards end of session i’ll end up losing concentration and come flying off rollers.

hairyscary

If you watch mtb videos whilst on rollers you must concentrate or at some point you will try to ‘follow’ Gee Atherton round a corner and ride clean off your rollers 😳

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

is it viable to ride out of the saddle on rollers?

Yes, although it took me a while before I felt confident enough to do it

PrinceJohn

Anyone here as good as Bruno?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIcrppPDqFI[/video]

diz

Got some Tacx Antares this evening. A few wobbly moments and it seemed to just click. Wonder if I’ll still be able to balance on them tomorrow!

jamesco

Bit like djaustin said- dont look down look out in front, much easier to balance naturally that way, looking down makes you try to correct too violently, great fun enjoy. By the way some vids of young’uns on youtube make you feel inferior !! or watching the kids at the velodrome!

TheSanityAssassin

If you pedal fast enough do you take off?

jamesco

Nope yer tyres melt, once you are into it seriously then get a’roller’ tyre for the back, the smell of burning rubber is not nice when followed by an almighty bang.

Kuco

Are rollers a lot quieter than a turbo trainer?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Have fun on rollers seeing how long you can do it with your eyes closed 😉

tomhughes
    Free Member

Kuco – from my experience not really. Although its a difference type of noise. There is often more noise in the surrounding area but less transmitted noise to other rooms/downstairs. However this does depend on the surface your using them on. If you use them on a first floor and above of a house they can vibrate the floor and cause tremendous noise.
    As I say I have had a bit of experience with this, I’ve own 6 turbos including a kurt kinetic and a cycleops fluid2, 4 sets of rollers including my current set which is a set of kreitlers.
    The kreitlers are the quietest, but still can’t be used on a first floor because to be honest when you are putting more than 400w through something you are always going to get significant noise.

I once sent a turbo back because I thought it was getting noiser, turned out it was just me getting fitter, doh!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Who uses rollers here?’ is closed to new replies.