Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Who uses really thin flat pedals? Any recommendations?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

GKW if you want to try them I’ll sell you the crampons

Steve drop me an e-mail and maybe we can sort something out?!?

Atlas seeming popular too!

cdoc
    Free Member

+1 for Deity Decoy LT flats. Particularly comfortable for larger feet

philb88
    Free Member

Spesh Boomslangs here. Much more grip than the superstar Nanos that they replaced.
    Taken a bashing too, hardly any noticeable damage other than a bit of anodising despite a lot of rock strikes whilst getting used to a lower BB!

rickon
    Free Member

How much bearing slop do you have in the boomslangs? All of my flat pedals recently end up with loads of play and spin

sharkattack

No one mentioned DMR Vaults yet? Massive platform, all the grip in the world. Thin enough without taking it to gimmicky extremes.

I’ve been smashing mine off rocks for a few years now.

bigjim

groundskeeperwilly are you looking for thin pedals to reduce pedal strike on your Smuggler? If so my main advice would be I wouldn’t spend too much money, depending how much you ride they’ll soon end up pretty smashed up regardless. I have some of the new DMR V12s which are 16mm thick and they’re pretty bashed up. I’m not sure a couple of mm less depth will make much difference.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hi bigjim – aye thats part of it but I’m also after a really good pedal as my current ones are in a bad way.

Thought it worth looking at the thin options as it would hopefully lead me to a great new set that may give a few mm more clearance.

I know it’s only a few mm but every little helps as they say!

The thread has shown up a few that I really wasn’t aware of before.

Northwind

julians – Member

So if anyone knows any *really* thin walled 8mm sockets I’m all ears, otherwise I’ll be buying some different pedals, so thanks for the suggestions above.

This isn’t totally helpful but, I’ve never found a quality thinwall socket. But I found a totally unquality one- I’ve had a few cheap rubbish toolkits over the years, I think this one was from a PC toolkit. Anyway, it’s made of tinfoil or something, and does the job perfectly. Worth checking the rubbish

Those outlands have ludicrously pointy corners! Like they’d gone “these flat pedals just aren’t leg-destroying enough”.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Anyone used the VP Harrier pedals?

alexh
    Free Member

I got some moove component thins on my bmx. I got them when they did their 1st batch and they were silly cheap.

Nice, light and grippy.

VanHalen

They (nukeproof) are really not comparable to a decent pedal. They have a lifespan of about 3-6 months before they are wobbling on the axle or the pedal body drops off completely. Also, the bulge in the body for the axle is an annoying/slippery problem.

They used to be convex with a centre bulge but have now changed the design to a more normal pedal shape. I haven’t got any but I’ve had the old ones you refer to.

jairaj

Sorry just seen these comments:

Do your Spank Oozy pedals spin really fast now? I’ve serviced mine a few times, and after each ride they go back to being spinny.

Yes mine are a bit more spinny than when new. Its not bad enough to bother me at the moment so not done anything about it.

Spank Ooozys are also guff. Had to warranty every pair I sold due to excess play after a month or two.

Is that due to bearing problems? 1st or 2nd generation versions? I believe mine are 2nd generation which have better bearings or seals.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just wanted to update.

Thanks to a few decent folks on here I’ve managed to try a few of the pedals mentioned and there were a couple of standouts:

Canfield Crampons – they are so think it really made a difference with clearance. I know its only mm’s of difference but if you’re on an ultra low BB bike they might be worth a look. I didn’t find them that comfy in use though – felt like the edge of my foot was hanging off the edge (this is not something that is restricted to this pedal though as it’s a common complaint for me).

RaceFace Atlas – a really good, solid all round pedal. good platform size and a bit thinner than most out there. Look like they will take a beating too!

VP Harrier – these are the ones I am sticking with for now. They are really thin (12mm I think) which is what I was after initially and the platform is massive! Definitely the widest that i’ve tried which suits my wide feet. They do have a bit of play in them out of the box due to the way they are designed/made which might put a few folk off but for me the comfort of the wide platform and the wee bit of extra clearance they offer makes them a winner.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Who uses really thin flat pedals? Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.