Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Who uses a milk man (woman) ? High prices
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Last night local milk man was knocking on doors asking if we wanted milk delivered everyday…

I’m all up for keeping business local and keeping people in work etc but the prices were almost twice the price for 4 pints or .30p more for a pint !

I also want to save money !

Something don’t add up !

Where do you get your milk from ?

Coyote
    Free Member

Local milk man. For the premium it’s worth having guaranteed milk in the morning rather than the trudge of shame to the garage.

STATO
    Free Member

I’m all up for keeping business local and keeping people in work etc but the prices were almost twice the price for 4 pints or .30p more for a pint !

Twice the price of what, the super low supermarket prices that mean farmers are struggling? Yeah what a scumbag.

Stoner
    Free Member

milky to the door. He tends to come sometime between 1am and 3am. 3 days a week.
    Brilliant. 60p a pint. But worth it for the convenience and of course keeping the business going.

ourmaninthenorth

Delivered from a farm in the next village.

Approx 35 pints and 48 eggs a month is £26.

Which reminds me, I must reduce the amount of milk as it isn’t all consumed every week.

footflaps

House on our road used to belong to the local milk man, he sold up maybe 15 years ago and his massive fridge is now a 1 bedroom flat…

Houns

Milk man. Hate having to buy milk from supermarkets

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Milkman here too.

slowoldman

Milk man. Support local small business.

DaRC_L

No Milkman as when asked he won’t deliver before 8a.m., when we’ve already gone to work, and higher prices. So paying more with a poor service…

soulwood
    Free Member

Milkman. Support the farmers, drink locally produced milk, better for you and tastes so much better than supermarket stuff. Oh and my recycling bin is no longer full of plastic.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

no local farms near us as I’m in the evil epicentre of the UK

scaredypants

I’d love to support local business, but I saw our milkman delivering the other day – at 9.00

That’s why I get my milk from sansbo’s. Might ask around about other deliveries but I think he’s the only one

hora
    Free Member

If they still have gold top why not! Oh and OP nice pic of me there

mrblobby
    Free Member

Milkman here too. I’ve no idea how much a pint of milk costs! Nice not to be filling up the bins with plastic cartons. I think he delivers about 5am but must have had ninja training as I’m a light sleeper and never hear him.

johndoh
    Free Member

We use a local milk man – two deliveries a week (two litre bottles – no idea why he uses plastic rather than traditional bottles) cost us £3.98.

I think I am mad.

NZCol

Milkman until a few weeks back – was becoming more and more random, too many bottles/not enough/semi skimmed. It was the semi skimmed that finished me off, hate it.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Our village milkman that comes through the villages three time a week is literally giving it away.

So an insomnia driven night turns into a stay up till 4 am day to save whatever the supermarket price is plus it’s delivered to me.

Anything to get my milky fix.

Smudger666

We did for a couple of weeks in March – it was more than twice the price of supermarkets (£2 for 2 litres) but hey, I’m supporting a ‘local business’ (Fife here) according to the chap who got my wife to sign up.

After checking the packaging, turns out the farm selling the milk is a mega dairy based out of warwickshire.

cancelled. I’d have been happy (ish) paying it to a local farmer, or even a local coop.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Local farm from the local grocery store

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m supporting a ‘local business’ (Fife here) according to the chap who got my wife to sign up.

Isn’t the local business the guy delivering it?

br
    Free Member

Local milk man. For the premium it’s worth having guaranteed milk in the morning rather than the trudge of shame to the garage.

+1

Ours is very local, also owns the local shop. We get 3x 4 pints and £5 per week, so 40p per pint – delivered about 6ish.

We also have him at work, which is 10 miles away from the shop – very rural location.

You’re not just paying for the milk, you’re paying for it to be sat outside your house when you get up.

Bunnyhop

We have a milkman 3 times per week. The milk isn’t expensive, its the correct price. The supermarkets are ripping farmers off and customers have got used to cheap milk, which isn’t right imo.

johndoh
    Free Member

You’re not just paying for the milk, you’re paying for it to be sat outside your house when you get up.

But with a tiny bit of planning that shouldn’t be a problem – buy a ‘spare’ bottle and stick it in the freezer then, should you run low just get the one out of the freezer so it is ready next day. Then, when you next do a shop, simply buy another spare.

Trimix
    Free Member

Our milkman couldn’t deliver at a time or price that suited us.

I don’t know why I should support a business just because its local. It would need more reasons than that.

I pay for efficiency, service and want value for money – supermarkets deliver food to my door now, so my fridge gets filled once a week without much effort.

zilog6128

We have a milkman 3 times per week. The milk isn’t expensive, its the correct price. The supermarkets are ripping farmers off and customers have got used to cheap milk, which isn’t right imo.

Does the farmer actually see the extra though? Or are they still being ripped off and you’re just paying extra for convenience?

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I have just cancelled our ‘local’ milk delivery after reading this thread. It turns out that McQueen’s Diaries simply buy their milk from First Milk and redistribute it which is very different to what they told my wife.

Basically I was paying a 100% premium over supermarket prices for what is just supermarket milk just so I can have it delivered to my door. But I already get supermarkets delivering to my door so back to getting the milk from Tesco….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We signed up an elderly neighbour to get a delivery and just pop out and lift it before they notice.

Trimix
    Free Member

The “right” price is the one your customers are happy paying.

ransos
    Free Member

No Milkman as when asked he won’t deliver before 8a.m., when we’ve already gone to work, and higher prices. So paying more with a poor service…

Yep, we very reluctantly cancelled ours for the same reason: they seemed pretty surprised that delivering after we had gone to work was a problem.

Drac

Currently supermarket. I’m waiting for a local dairy to start delivering direct but they haven’t got up and running yet.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The “right” price is the one your customers are happy paying.

that would drive everyone out of business..

it’s what the market will bear most of the time.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

for what is just supermarket milk

supermarket milk seems to be a lot more consistent and a bit creamier – no idea what they put in it but I tried some organic Duchy from the supermarket the other day and it is much more like the milkmans stuff, which is somewhat reassuring.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Supermarket.
    Did have a milkman for a good few years but it was the absence of

guaranteed milk in the morning

that was the problem.
    Some little scrote on his way to work would occasionally help himself to the milk sat on our doorstep.

jb72
    Free Member

We binned our delivery a few years ago – mainly because in the summer it was often warm (and went off very quickly) and in the winter it would freeze. Also the diesel truck at 2 or 3 in the morning woke me up.

Tesco now deliver 10 pints a week … and stays fresh.

Dickyboy

Pretty sure we get ours from the local dairy too but then again they do process a billion litres each year! So we’d be in the minority if we didn’t – milkman delivery no thanks

Saccades
    Free Member

8.65 euro for 2 pints delivered monday, wednesday and friday (Milk deliveries are/were a tad rare in ireland)

Bit of a premium, but the milk is there every day without fail before I get up and it stops having to pop out to the supermarket where you would without fail pick something else up.

Can adjust your order on-line which is ace for holidays and the like (oh and he delivers extra on a bank holiday weekend, which is nice).

Works for me.

MartynS

Milkman, locally sourced milk. 68p a pint

Happy to be helping local business. More often than not delivered before 0600.

I get our meat from the local butcher as well, and it is way better than supermarket stuff..!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ocado are my local milk man. Bring it when I request it every week. 77.5p per litre.

garage-dweller

We gave up on the milk deliveries very quickly. I’m happy paying the extra.

I’m not happy when it arrives after we’ve gone to work and has all day to go off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Who uses a milk man (woman) ? High prices’ is closed to new replies.