Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Who to send a shock with?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is royal mail ok these days, or still dodgy? if not can anyone recommend me something under £10 for a rear shock posted/tracked/insured please? 🙂

SirHC

From memory, TF Tuned use Interlink.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve used MyHermes and collect+ to post shocks and forks to J-tech, no issues.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interlink is a fair bit dearer than myhermes, so myhermes seems like a pretty good option price wise, ill probably use them, cheers!

tom.nash

Use Parcel2Go for prices, usually MyHermes 2 Day is awesome value!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

parcelmonkey is often better than parcel2go for prices.

I think interlink seem a bit more professional – I normally have to sign for intelink stuff whereas the myhermes guy who brings my wifes stuff just leaves it by the door, in pretty obvious view from the road, even when there are instructions of where to put it.

cheers_drive

I used DPD to send a Reverb.
    Was twice the price of My Hermes but was still only a small % of the service cost and Reverb value.
    I thought My Hermes are like Yodel with similar issues?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used Royal Mail and the shock got there OK, but I did spend a couple of nervous days wondering it if the parcel would be confiscated. Next time I’ll pay a little extra for TF Tuned to pick it up.

devash
    Free Member

MyHerpes can be a bit hit and miss. I think its run on an owner-diver / franchise model so really depends on the driver. I’ve personally never had any issues with them though but I’ve heard some horror stories.

I’ve sent shocks with Collect+ before, no issues. I still use Parcelforce (not RM) for forks though.

kerley
    Free Member

Just use Royal Mail special delivery. You then know it is insured and it will get their next day.

In my experience of sending and receiving 100’s of items I count Royal Mail as the best and easiest to deal with so not sure why you think they are dodgy/still dodgy?

I have sent over 700 items with them and had 1 issue which they gave a full refund on selling price with no dispute.

oldtalent
    Free Member

rm special, insured, signed for & next day, less than a tenner I recall. Its a £500 shock, I wouldnt trust any of the budget couriers tbh.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve used Collect Plus or RM in recent years.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

id prefer to use RM special delivery, but there was a huge thread on here last year where someone had his taken off him and it was confiscated due to being a prohibited product!

I could chance it yes, and I would prefer to use RM as its easy to pop around the postie to do so, but is it worth the risk?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is saving an few extra quid worth more to you than the possibility – however slight – that your shock may disappear in some Royal Mail sorting office never to be seen again? I took the risk and it paid off but not everyone has been so fortunate. It’s probably more likely to happen than winning the lottery so I guess it depends how much you fancy your chances 🙂

Is the peace of mind worth spending a bit more money on?

kerley
    Free Member

but there was a huge thread on here last year where someone had his taken off him and it was confiscated due to being a prohibited product

Just check before sending it. Tell them you are sending a shock and if they send it good, if they say “no shocks” then you can’t use them.

Is a shock in this list –> http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

stilltortoise
    Free Member

@kerley, from your link:

All non-flammable compressed gases are prohibited e.g. air bags; scuba tanks, carbon dioxide; fire extinguishers; neon and nitrogen

Shocks contain compressed gas. Even if you let the air out of the main chamber, the negative spring still contains compressed gas. I told my local post office it was a shock and they were OK, but is your average post office teller really qualified to understand and interpret these regulations consistently? More significantly, will them saying “OK” make the blindest bit of difference if someone else in a sorting office decides to confiscate your shock?

Based on their website I think Royal Mail are quite within their rights to confiscate your shock if they are so inclined.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Who to send a shock with?’ is closed to new replies.