Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Who to join Scottish or rest of UK National Trust
  • postierich
    Free Member

Just been looking at rejoining mainly for parking around the Lakes and if I join Scottish National Trust its £50 and can use the rest of the UKs National Trust sites but if I join the rest of the UK one its £64.50 but no details on using Scotlands NT what gives.

Rich
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/join-us

https://www.nts.org.uk/Join/Buy/Adult/

xora

UK nt can use Scottish like it’s home

postierich
    Free Member

Looks like Scotlands getting the Dosh then 🙂

petec
    Free Member

Scottish NT can’t go to Stonehenge at least. There may be more!

postierich
    Free Member

Its a fake anyway 🙂

timber

From memory there is a reciprocal agreement, along with a whole bunch of equivalents abroad like the Maltese National Trust.

Ultimately down to who you want to support, but the Scottish NT won’t be investing in the Lakes.

cvilla

Not splitting hairs… but Stonehenge is English Heritage, agree yes it is a heritage site, similar to NT;) Support whichever you like, free parking is good and so is the conservation work, ‘surprise view’ is one of the best, currently driving past most weeks on my way to a work project.

timber

Stonehenge is indeed Crown, but you can’t get to it without crossing NT ground, so they work in partnership.

riddoch

Not checked recently but you used to only get free entry in the other trust after a year, in the first year it was a 50% discout.
    Stongehenge used to give entry to both english heritage and national trust but that was before they moved the carpark to where it is now.

postierich
    Free Member

Happier my money will be going to the Scottish NT as they don’t seem to want to rip non members off so much when you use their services and will make me travel north of the Border even more!
    National trust parking attendants are arses had a few run ins with them as I have dared to park overnight !!! and not overly bike friendly

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Happier my money will be going to the Scottish NT as they don’t seem to want to rip non members off so much when you use their services and will make me travel north of the Border even more!

Dunno about that, 15.50 per person to park at my local place for non members.

That includes access to the castle, which no one locally ever goes to. I’ve pretty much given up on it now, Charlie boy has performed a stunning transformation at Dumfries house, free parking – 4 or 5 quid to go into the house.

NTS didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory over the recent Glencoe nonsense either.

AD

I joined the Scottish National Trust and I live near Cockermouth. NT England’s idea of ‘investing in lakes’ seems to involve pricing out locals (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-37219512) so I’m not quite so unhappy to save money on parking and give some cash to Scotland…
    No hassle visiting Brimham Rocks or Fountains Abbey under my Scottish membership but strangely did have to explain to the NT England volunteer manning the Rosthwaite car park about the reciprocal agreement! Further confirming my views of NT England in the Lakes to be honest.

Steve_B

I joined NTS whilst visiting a friend in England, There was no waiting time for free entry to properties there. (Was a member of Historic Scotland years ago and sites in England and Wales were then 1/2 price for the first year and free after that, Total bargain with castle mad kids!)

The NTS site does say there is reciprocal entry to properties but is silent on parking. I did phone them to check before going to the Lakes and they confirmed parking was also reciprocal.

It is worth noting that when we arrived in Langdale they had a ticket machine that scanned the membership card – and it didn’t work with the NTS card. We parked anyway and had no hassle (saved £9* over National Park carpark further up road!)

*who ends up at the end of Langdale with £9 in coins! Certainly not the 6 cars of tourists that were there at the same time as us.

footflaps

*who ends up at the end of Langdale with £9 in coins! Certainly not the 6 cars of tourists that were there at the same time as us.

Park at the ODG for about £2/day IIRC…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Who to join Scottish or rest of UK National Trust’ is closed to new replies.