Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Who still runs a triple up front?
  • masa
    Free Member

3×8 on my old Scott Reflex and 1×10 on Kona Honzo. Waitng for the snow melt here to get more rides with Honzo to see how I like that 1×10 setup.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Mostly ride on 3×7 and 8 but the modern bike has 9 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Everyone’s legs are different. Some super fast riders might generate all their power within a very narrow cadence range whilst some slower riders might be able to generate their power across a much wider range of pedal speeds. If your legs are happiest going at the same speed you’ll appreciate a wide gearing range whilst if you’re happy to spin very fast and stomp very slowly then you’ll be fine with getting rid of lots of gears (the extreme being going singlespeed).

Running 1×10 without an expander my legs run out of push at about 40mph or at the end of a long day on long and steep climbs, so it works fine for me and my riding. For epic multi-day XC rides I suspect I’d still want 3x.

oldgit
    Free Member

3X10 here. I have no intention of replacing it, if parts wear I’ll replace them with 3X parts.
    I run pretty close ratio blocks and I like the smooth transition I get. Plus I’ve really needed all the gears a 3X could give on some events, where I’ve gone from hunkered down on the bar ends and in big/small to hitting super steep slimy climbs.

OCB
    Free Member

3×8, 3×9 and 3×10 (given the hills and my tendency to poke about looking over hedges). I seem to prefer the location of the gaps in the 8spd stuff over the 9spd.

The 3×10 is indexed (as it was bought as a complete groupset, thus intended to work together), everything else is friction shifted, given the often rather odd mix of components used. (Ah, everything else that is, that hasn’t been single speed’d).

PJay
    Free Member

I’m still 3×9 and Octalink to boot (it just won’t wear out).

Whether I stick to a triple when I’m forced to go Hollowtech 2 I’m not so sure as it won’t offer much over a double. All the 10 speed triples (like their dual counterparts) only have 40 tooth big rings which strikes me as odd when you can pretty much extend your low gears ad-infinitum with expander cogs.

RustySpanner

When 2* can give me the same range as the equivalent 3* system, at the same cost, I’ll switch.
    No reason not too.

I’d be happy to sacrifice a couple of higher gears, but nothing off the bottom, ta.

Until then, I’ll keep what I’ve got.

I don’t use the big ring every ride, but on rolling road sections when the wind’s behind you, you can save a lot of time getting to the next bit of trail.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Who still runs a triple up front?’ is closed to new replies.