Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Who should say hello?
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

Yikes!! can you tell us what you look like and what you ride – will then avoid acknowledging anyone who fits that description

anagallis_arvensis

who should say hello?

nice people

end of thread

Junkyard
    Free Member

Like an unhappy version of Goldie 😉

jamj1974

Dr Nick…?

muckytee
    Free Member

I don’t really say hello any more, simply because I have a bandana on my face to keep the flies out of my mouth.

However I give a nod to acknowledge another riders existence, although that depends on where I am: If say I’m on a canal tow path where I’m likely to come across many cyclists I simply won’t bother reacting at all. But if I’m somewhere remote and I haven’t seen another human being for 2 hours and out pops a guy/girl on a 5 then I’ll probably give a mildly surprised “Hi there!”.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I always acknowledge other riders, what gets me is when someone overtakes you, on eigher the trail or road but doesn’t say anything. No hi or passing right/left. If I know your there I’ll make more room for ypu, but if you come past and surprise me don’t get upset if I accidently pullout in front of you.

psling
    Free Member

Ah, people who change riding line, stop or turn without checking around them for other riders – that’s a whole new debate… 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ride out in the Dolomites, roadie Italians in white Lycra always say Hi 😆

I rarely see anyone else out whilst on my rides, I must be going far too fast to notice them.

BoardinBob

I just shout “strava”

njee20
    Free Member

Right, the next cyclist who says ‘hello’ to me is going to get his face smashed in the the first bicycle related item I can pull out of my back pack. I just hope is isnt a small Allen key or an energy gel as I’ll have quite a job on my hands…

That’s even more sad than moaning about people not saying hello.

I think you need a hug.

Basil

Do you stop to nob or pedal and nob?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Are we supposed to say hello to every pedestrian

round these parts? aye.

I always great cyclists, walkers, and horsists when I’m out. the miserable walkers hate it when a mtber is pleasant and chatty.

AD

Better than 9 out of 10 folks say hello (or at least nod) to each other where I ride regardless of whether or not I’m riding a mountain bike or a road bike. Maybe you should move to the lakes… 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

“Alright?” when on mountain bike, obvious nod when on the road bike, scowl when on the commuter.

thepurist

What’s the group etiquette though? You’re in a string of riders passing walkers/whatever, does everyone say hello & get a response, just the lead rider or what? It’s clearly of the utmost importance that this sort of thing is clarified!

dmorts

Having lived in the Midlands, up north and the south east of England. I have to say that the most unfriendy/least courteous people I’ve encountered are down south, least hellos, nods etc
    Although on the whole people can be quite miserable overall here. I lived in NZ for a year and on my return here I had to curb/relearn my friendliness to strangers. Everyone tends to be super friendly in NZ.

Off to Scotland next month… what should I expect?

brakes
    Free Member

midgies

tinribz
    Free Member

What’s the group etiquette though?

The established protocol is a tapered response. Hello > Hi > nod > smile > finger > head down. This is proportional to the alpha status and respect they deserve for leading the group.

Pook

This “you don’t say hello to every pedestrian when you’re walking” thing doesn’t hold water. You’re right, you don’t. But when you’re miles out in the countryside, engaged in a pretty niche activity, and you come across someone who is like mindedly enjoying that passtime why wouldn’t you?

Your logic could apply to passing someone as you’re trekking the Sahara alone. Or climbing Everest. Or on the moon.

Doesn’t hurt anyone to be friendly.

hels
    Free Member

I only say hello to other good-looking people.

saxabar
    Free Member

What’s the group etiquette though?
    The established protocol is a tapered response. Hello > Hi > nod > smile > finger > head down. This is proportional to the alpha status and respect they deserve for leading the group.

😀

Cycling makes me happy and feel more communal. This means I smile and say hello, a lot.

schnor
    Free Member

Always try to say “hiya / morning / y’right” to walkers, bikers, horseyists, bird watchers, scramblers, or whoever. Just seems the right thing to do 🙂

Not that fussed when I don’t get one back (usually Mr. Rapha / SKY team kit, miserable *****) though.

hallz
    Free Member

Pretty much always say hello, nod or acknowledge any other riders. I also save the friendliest “hellos” for grumpy dog walkers – they just hate the friendliness!

There is an exception to this whole hello business that i don’t like though. Cycling up a long, boring climb, focused solely on getting to the top, some twit comes past (as if your cycling through treacle) and his cheery hello wakes you from your daydream and scares the living daylights out of you!

Ok, so that’s just me then! 🙂

GavinB

I like Pook’s response.

For me, its about the location. If I’m hammering it to the station in the morning, on the way to work, I’m not going to bother waving, blowing kisses or screaming hello to everyone I pass who may also happen to be on a bike (whether they are wearing a helmet, riding a BSO or whatever)

BUT, if I’m rattling along a remote path in the Cairngorms, Lakes or wherever I’m much more likely to wave, or heaven forbid, even stop and have a quick natter, exactly as I would if I was out running or walking in the same area.

It’s polite, civilised and costs nothing.

trolleywheels
    Free Member

Goes both ways to be honest. I ride my Roadie and MTB in equal measures. I say hello/acknowledge all riders.. I get MTB riders ignoring me on the Roadie, and Roadies ignoring me on the MTB.

Really doesn’t bother me if they don’t acknowledge… I do think the roadie side is far more cantankerous / snobby though. I got heckled today by some other roadies earlier as I had my deepset carbons on.. Funnily enough I probably overtook them at twice the speed they were riding.. (I got KOM) I don’t understand?!?

Edited to remove horrendous Americanism.

tinribz
    Free Member

+1 for the grumpy dog walkers, and the two walking pole brigade. 🙂

Horse riders though, what about them? Borderline for me first because they are usually youngish girls and I don’t want to appear creepy. Secondly I hate horses, smelly, scarey and make my eyes swell up. I usually wait for them to initiate and begrudgingly respond.

yunki
    Free Member

you should always give a confident and cheery hello to the riders of the apocalypse.. it puts their steeds at ease apparently.. sneaking up on a horse is often what causes them to panic.. (as well as bees, flowers, gentle breezes, ants, stones etc etc etc)

trolleywheels
    Free Member

I asked a very good looking lady in jodhpurs for directions once whilst she was upon a magnificent steed…

I was all smiley and cool.. forgot to unclip and fell over. Yes, I do believe I impressed her.

GrahamS

Horse riders though, what about them?

I generally get around your concerns by saying hello to the horse (as someone once told me that was good practise to avoid startling them)

I tend to shout “Hey horse”, which probably just confuses it. Like shouting “Biscuit dog”.

Lifer
    Free Member

Bit bloody needy if you ask me.

Although I generally nod/wave/cheesy grin/say hi to cyclists/walkers/horsists when out on the bike.

456mocha
    Free Member

“Hi!”, to bike helmet wearers.
    A nod to all other cyclists that acknowledge me, and horse riders.
    “Lovely weather” to locals and walkers, or something else appropriate.
    “Aw.. nice dog!”, to dog walkers who make the effort to call the dog.
    “Hello!” is reserved for Lionel Richie.

rootes1

when you are in the supermarket, or walking down a busy highstreet…

do you say hello to all those fellow shoppers? no of course you don’t

garage-dweller

A nod,a wave, a smile, a hello costs nothing. The serious looking roadies round here are often the most friendly even when I am wheezing my hairy legs and seat pack and helmet peak along on my cheap and cheerful road bike. Go figure, this is in central southern england.

garage-dweller

I grew up in a touring family it was manners. Out on the roads and trails we share a common interest and set of risks. This is why its not the same as randomly greeting people in tesco.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Passed a bloke on a Giant Anthem earlier today who barely acknowledged me. A few miles further on a bunch of roadies came past, all smiles and cheerfulness. A couple wanted to know about my bike and where I was riding. Nice bunch.

If you go in with the attitude that everyone you see gets a cheery smile then you can’t really go wrong.

456mocha
    Free Member

It’s the same if you have a niche car – a courtesy wave that is to those in the same as you. Dad had a VW camper in the 80s and was always waving at fellow Vdubbers.
    I guess it’a a community / common interest kinda thing.

6079smithw
    Free Member

rootes1 – Member

when you are in the supermarket, or walking down a busy highstreet…

do you say hello to all those fellow shoppers? no of course you don’t I do. Most people look away. Some ask “do I know you?”

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Who should say hello?’ is closed to new replies.