Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Who should pay for policing football matches?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18965193

A judge has ruled that the police cannot charge Leeds United for the costs of policing football matches beyond the boundaries of the stadium. (Leeds Utd pay for the costs of policing inside it, and have never objected to doing so).

I always thought that was how it was anyway, but evidently not, at least in Leeds.

binners

If they just Nuked Elland Road, then the problem would become somewhat academic.

Just a thought

thegreatape
    Free Member

Who should pay for nuking Elland Road? Not really fair to expect the police to pay for that.

thehustler
    Free Member

we could all chip in?

kimbers

who should pay for the policing the olympics or the entire thing for that matter?

atlaz
    Free Member

I think the clubs should pay. Seems that if the game wasn’t there, the need for the police to be there would be removed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t see why any private company should not be expected to pay for any ADDITIONAL policing required for an event it hosts. The olympics is different, it’s a national/city based event, not owned by a private company.

binners

A quick request before kick off at Old Trafford quickly offered a solution. Presently sat on the tarmac at Manchester airport, waiting for clearance to take off

😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    I don’t see why any private company should not be expected to pay for any ADDITIONAL policing required for an event it hosts. The olympics is different, it’s a national/city based event, not owned by a private company.

The Olympics is owned by McDonald’s, Coke and P&G.

hels
    Free Member

Why bother policing it at all ?? Declare the area a No Go Zone for civilians and let the soccer fans have at each other. You could speed up the process by leaving a few weapons about the place, perhaps some hidden cameras for saturday night family viewing. The bookies could get in on the act offering bets on each sides fans. (Where is Snake Plisken when you need him ??)

ThePinkster

The olympics is different, it’s a national/city based event, not owned by a private company.

I thought LOCOG, the ODA and IOA were all registered as private companies? All the sponsors certainly are.

jruk
    Free Member

Good old B52s – peace through superior firepower 😈

Stood next to one once, friggin massive.

loum
    Free Member

Those people would need policing anyway.
    It must be more efficient to police them in a single, restricted location. Therefore the police should be paying a kettling fee to the clubs.

Sancho
    Free Member

On a serious note, would I as a race (road) organiser be able to avoid paying the police to marshall the event as its on the public highway as its part of the public highway and they should police it anyway

joao3v16
    Free Member

The racists football fans should pay. Seeing as they’re the people who make it necessary for the extra policing.

konabunny
    Free Member

The olympics is different, it’s a national/city based event, not owned by a private company.

The Olympics is not a state-owned enterprise.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The Olympics is not a state-owned enterprise.

No, but I don’t think it’s owned by a for-profit entity either, is it? (genuinely not sure)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“The racists football fans should pay. Seeing as they’re the people who make it necessary for the extra policing.”

Now now joao … you get rightly upset with all the generalising God bashers on here.

But you’re right … I’m Spurs season ticket holder and I find it quite amazing that the Teams don’t pay for the sometimes massive extra police force outside the ground

toxicsoks
    Free Member

We’re having a garden party on Saturday so there’ll be lots of cars trying to park in our road and ones close by. Should I be paying for the police to ensure safe parking?

uwe-r
    Free Member

The IOC: Not Profit making, maybe. Corrupt to core, yes.

I don’t have to much of an issue with the cost of football policing. It must be a massive net contributor to our economy when you think of all the funding via foreign tv revenue, foreign wealth and multinational corporates even allowing for the tax dodging and off-shoring it is one of the few industries we are a genuine world leader in.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“We’re having a garden party on Saturday so there’ll be lots of cars trying to park in our road and ones close by. Should I be paying for the police to ensure safe parking?”

No, but then your not making money out of your guests/clients/supports are you ?

portlyone

Just charge them more for policing on the club’s land.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What happens at other events? Do music festival organisers pay for policing outside of the grounds of the festival?

chamley
    Free Member

Anytime I’ve seen trouble outside Elland Road, it wasn’t football fans involved, it was local thugs looking for a fight who never even went to the match. The club can do as much as it can banning people but if they sit outside causing trouble there’s not much they can do and thats where the police step in.

Clearly they’ll have to charge more for the service inside the ground but you need to draw a line somewhere. If some scrotes from leeds are fighting some scrotes from huddersfield a few streets away from elland road, why should the club be paying to police them?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If some scrotes from leeds are fighting some scrotes from huddersfield a few streets away from elland road, why should the club be paying to police them?

There is this. Or at the train station.

And what happens if the plod apprehend a scrote near the ground after being paid to be there by LUFC but it is not football related? Do LUFC get to charge back to the police force for the arrest made when effectively the officer was a private contractor?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Who should pay for policing football matches?’ is closed to new replies.