Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Who scored today in the woodpile lottery?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Somehow the wind missed me and I’ve not been out today to survey the damage. Besides the Land Rover is still in the shed for repairs.

With the roads, bridges and stations closed, someone must have had a day off foraging for wood.

Pics would be good too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Post storm bump.

sandwicheater

Heading to the local woods this weekend to steal wood clear the paths with fingers crossed.

Pigface
    Free Member

Damn I was expecting McMoonter to be up to his neck in wind blow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have no wheels atm either my jeeps in the garage having the rack replaced

organic355
    Free Member

think Ill have a look this weekend.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

ME ME ME!

Well…..I got a new fence…..well….it’s an old fence….from the neighbours!

geoffj

I did – three ranger loads but one chainsaw casualty 🙁

mcmoonter
    Free Member

but one chainsaw casualty

This needs clarification. Was the saw the casualty or the operator?

geoffj

The saw, due to the operator being a numpty 🙄

A split second distraction and a large beech limb that cracked rather than cut and the saw went with it.
    Bent the bar and trashed the tank housing / trigger assembly. I’ve ordered the parts and put the small husky back into service. More collecting later 😀

nedrapier

I scored wood! Not for burning though.

I need a new wheel jig, the last job was badly built with bad materials and bad tools (yes, that’s what I’m doing). It held 2 wheels in place for long enough, but was wobbly and generally unsatisfactory. But i still don’t ahve a router, decent wood’s expensive…

Get home last night, open the door to the common hall for the flats and find a stack of 40mm thick oak. It’s upstairs’s old worktop. She’d just had some bits cut for something at the wood place in town. Cost her a fiver. The spare is mine if I want it. Turns out it adds up perfectly to a Musson pattern wheel jig, even down to the extra width in the base to compensate for the extra thickness of the uprights.

All measured and marked up, down to the wood shop (which I hadn’t known about before) tomorrow morning. Might even investigate some whitewash stain/oil – finish it all nice, like.

nbt

I’ve got a cover on my logpile since this photo was taken

The Log Stores by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

A mate dropped of a sheet of plywood that was the perfect size, already covered in felt waterproofing. I’ve been meaning for ages to secure it to my logpile and last night was that one night too long – the wind caught it and took it off. No major damage done though, thankfully, and the fence seems ok too

Northwind

Took my mum some stuff for her garden logburner. I think about half of it is coast redwood, which is pretty much fireproof, so that’ll be good for a laugh.

Pockets full of cones though, quite hard to get cones with seeds for the corsican and ponderosa pines we have as they usually windblow while still on the tree, but otoh, they might not be quite viable. And more giant redwood cones as none of the last lot germinated- these are much bigger so fingers crossed. Consider it an investment for future logpiles 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

There were some very strong gusts around Chester yesterday but nothing down around me. I think that because the leaves are off the trees there’s less wind resistance so the tree has a greater chance of staying up.
    Unlike when we had our little tornado 5 weeks ago!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I scored an own goal. Got lots of lovely wood to chop up today but sadly it’s all from my trees 🙁 . Two of my silver birch came down yesterday morning. Bit gutted but my wood pile was getting low I suppose.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Geoff, windblown stuff is has a whole lot of hidden risk. Good to see it was just the saw that took the bullet.

I heard from a friend down in the borders that lost five mature Beech trees. I might pay him a visit…..

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have no idea how you missed the wind. Between Milnathort and Crook of Devon the wind was insane. The worst conditions I’ve ever driven in. I thought the wipers were going to get ripped off. Material a getting picked up off the fields and driven horizontally into the side of the car. At points vizibility was zero. Getting out of the car was out of the question. Plenty of arborial debris and wheelie-bins in the road.

boblo
    Free Member

That 260 is supposed to be a pro saw isn’t it? I (stupidly) bought the 230 and it’s a bit crap. However, the on/off switch is the same as your 260; a stupid spade connector/earth friction fitted into a bit of plastic… I’ll bet the cam in the pull start is a little piece of plastic crap as well… Not impressed 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Who scored today in the woodpile lottery?’ is closed to new replies.