Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Who roast the best coffee?
  • ade9933
    Free Member

So asking you espresso heads, who roasts the best beans then?

I like these guys:

http://www.workshopcoffee.com/

http://www.alchemycoffee.co.uk/

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/

http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/

just ordered from these guys too (not tried it yet):

http://www.coaltowncoffee.co.uk/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Using Rave Coffee at the moment. Italian Blend for me.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

All of the above,

So long as a nice light roast single origin, no blends or ‘dark roasts’ blleeeggh. Cigarette ash.

Atkinsons of Lancaster
    Red Bank Roasters – Coniston

European-
    Drop
    Koppi
    The barn
    Belleville

ade9933
    Free Member

nice – will check them out. Ta.

thomthumb
    Free Member

been impressed with small batch, hove recently.

sandwicheater

Dave. Or was is Mike.

grahamt1980

I have used.
    The coffee bean shop.
    Grumpy mule
    House of coffee

All have been really good to be honest

meeeee
    Free Member

Sadly my poor attempt at a link won’t convert any more

meeeee
    Free Member

I know a few people who’ve converted to rin’s

[/url]

cloudnine
    Free Member

Rave coffee do some nice stuff

willard

There’s a place in town that does some good roasts. Good for a treat, as is ‘Sliverskin’ in Dublin.

I use Pact for home. They deliver a new packet every 10 days, which suits my consumption level.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Following with interest.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The Barn. I’m having a Kenyan from them right now as espresso, it’s very good.
    I like Campbell and Syme and Department of coffee and social affairs too.
    I’m mostly espresso but the other half does filter and likes modern standard (again the Kenyans are in season now and very good)

petec
    Free Member

the best is Monmouth, but you have to go up to that London

onewheelgood

http://www.monsoonestates.co.uk/

Fixie is probably my favourite, but they do a wide variety of coffees, blends and single varieties.

MrSmith
    Free Member

the best is Monmouth, but you have to go up to that London

I wouldn’t put them in the same league as Origin, Climpsons, Square mile etc.
    They may have been one of the first speciality roasters in London but they are not the best imho. Always a massive queue in the borough market cafe but 2 min away is a Notes cart that does better coffee. Monmouth is for the tourists 😆
    Actually Notes beans are very good too as are roasting party and roundhill both based in the West Country.

petec
    Free Member

ooh they’re not. They may be touristy on a Saturday, but you can always get a roast that is ideal to your needs. Go on a weekday – or go to Maltby St on a Saturday and it’s just like the old days.

In Borough, one way to beat the queue of course is to get some beans; they’ll invariably ask you if you’d like a coffee as well.

ETA – it is of course completely subjective. But I worked opposite for 12 years. Been going since the Borough one opened. Nice people (they also own Neals Yard dairy). Bit busier now of course.

poolman
    Free Member

Atkinsons in Lancaster for me when there, Monmouth for me when in London, even better with a treble chocolate brownie from the bakery about 100 yards away.

Where’s the notes cart? I hate the queues at the market. Best burger by miles is the Boston burger over by the church. I also always go to bar Italia but I paid 3.40 for a latte there last month.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Boom!…Thread closed

tor5
    Free Member

How about these guys.

http://departmentofcoffee.com

MrSmith
    Free Member

I mentioned them above (the full title of department of coffee and social affairs)
    Them, Campbell and Syme and The Barn are my usual buys

TImberyard cafes in London sell the Barn beans over the counter.

ade9933
    Free Member

Ah yes, I think I know Monmouth.

I do know the Dept Coffee too – not too bad.

For coffee shops in the London you just the need the London’s Best Coffee app don’t you. I think Soho / Fitzrovia has the best concentration of high quality coffee in town.

The Rapha cc used to make a good brew too. They used to use the Workshop Coffee as their house blend back then. Working upstairs from them was what got me to ditch the Nespresso machine and embrace my inner coffee geek.

Not really a fan of Grumpy Mule – okay with milk but not on a par with the others IMHO.

A mate persuaded me to try the Coffee Bean Shop a while back too. Not a good experience. Glad we had visitors.

Thanks for the tips all.

ade9933
    Free Member

Looking at The Barn – I think I had some of that from Prufrock a little while back. Nice…. going through the rest of these tips now and saving the bookmarks.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Bruce & Luke’s from Carlisle are good. So are Atkinsons of Lancaster.

dti
    RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ye, carvetti good shout too!

Nowt wrong with Monmouth Mr smith, certainly wouldn’t group origin above them.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Also anyone in/visiting paris (there have been posts) the coffee scene is blooming (pardon the pun).

Belleville, KB cafe shop, Cafe Lomi, Coutume and Beans on Fire.

That’s 5 roasters! Plus some great cafes, will be another London soon.

timber

Not sure if it was just a holiday romance, but Bean 14 on Guernsey had some nice smooth stuff.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Monmouth Mr smith, certainly wouldn’t group origin above them.

No but you are spoilt for choice now with speciality coffee the standard has risen, I just don’t think they live up to their reputation which was earned many years ago.
    I get to try a fair amount of coffee as I shoot for caffeine magazine and they get sent a lot of good beans for ‘coffee of the month’ so many more bags than a typical user would get through. I’m no expert but I do trust the opinion of those who cup and grade coffee every week.

globalti
    Free Member

Ethiopians roast the best coffee. End of.

MrSmith
    Free Member

They grow some great coffee after all it is where all the worlds coffee fruit originates from.
    Don’t think they are exporting roasting talent though. 🙄

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Agreed Mr Smith.

Global ti, yes a lot of extremely high quality green beans come out of Ethiopia for roasting in Europe, but (I’ve never been) I’m lead to believe the in county roasting of coffee leaves a lot to be desired… Very dark, maybe even requiring sugar! Maybe that’s what you like though so fair enough.

Ethiopia definitely excellent at farming and processing the coffee though.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Also Mr Smith, tip of the cap, I enjoy the magazine when I can find it! Cheers

bob_summers

UK is streets ahead of anywhere in europe for roasting, but expensive shipping means it’s not worth buying for me unless I’m visiting.

That said, http://www.sakonacoffee.com/?lang=en is locales and good.

Shame to hear of the decline of Monmouth. When I lived in London, an espresso from Flat White on Berwick Street using Monmouths blend was the best coffee in town.

bob_summers

Sorry double post

slowster
    Free Member

When I lived in London, an espresso from Flat White on Berwick Street using Monmouths blend was the best coffee in town.

Are you sure it was a Monmouth blend? I used to go in Flat White and its sister shop Milk Bar every month, and they used a blend created for them by Square Mile.

MrSmith
    Free Member

They have been Square Mile for as long as I can remember.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i wouldn’t say that i’m massively knowledgeable on the subject, having only recently got into proper quality coffee, but i’m buying tweega aa beans from breakfluid.cc at the moment and can’t see any reason to change that, they’re delicious!

nicolaisam
    Free Member
    MrSmith
    Free Member

They don’t even mention which co-operative or estate or even the the region.
    That’s not to say the coffee is bad but it’s just that speciality coffee is a different thing in both cost, provenance and taste.
    These threads should be split into:
    What bulk coffee roasters are good?
    What speciality single estate co-op coffee roasters are good?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Who roast the best coffee?’ is closed to new replies.