Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • who rides mostly where they live?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ethically I struggle with the idea of putting a bike, which is the most sustainable forms of transport, into a car in order to park somewhere and ride round in circles before driving home.

I’m with Sue on this one. Don’t get me wrong, trail centres can be good fun; Swinley last weekend was a right laugh. But it seems as though that sort of riding is all some folk ever do. I’ve met people who won’t go out on a bike unless they’re all kitted up and where they’ll be riding is ‘worth it’. And for many, that means driving somewhere, meaning for them, a car is a vital bit of cycling equipment.

I think too many people suffer from that ‘well I’ve got all the gear so I should only ride places where spending all this money seems justified’. I get as much pleasure pootling around London on my old skip rescue hack bike, as I do riding my spensive MTB in North Wales or wherever. It’s all riding, it’s all good.

P7Pro

I live in Yorkshire and ride a lot in the Lakes, which is where my mother in law lives. I think it’s good to visit family.

devs
    Free Member

95% from my door. Pretty much got everything you need within line of sight. Which is nice. I would give up if mountain biking meant getting in my car every time. The poor souls that do this have my respect.

stcolin
    Free Member

Pretty much all of my riding is reached on the bike from my house. I don’t have a car, and haven’t for the past 10 months. I only miss it for when I want to head away and ride somewhere on my own.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I live in an amazing area, have been riding the same funkyfastic trails for 16 years and I vary routes depending on frequency or fitness or bike I’m on. I ride road too and I’m lucky in that I’ve only 1 busy road out (10mins) then it’s lanes, lanes, lanes.

I’ve taken the MTB’s in the van on occasion, only during late rides or just turning dark rides where I want to get on a specific part of a trail that’d take me 1/2hr+ to get there if I rode it. I’ve taken the roadie in the van too, but these tend to be “semi epic” or “sportives abroad” events rather than rideouts.

I’m not a fan of trails ctrs, can see why they are popular so no back biting here thank you, just prefer me, a few mates and me and local stuff.

I’ve far too many places here yet to visit, but I do use the routes as a guage to fitness but in the main I just LOVE the countryside where I am and enjoy seeing it change through the seasons.

DaRC_L

Like wwaswas I can get onto the SDW quite easily – it’s only a couple of miles warm up on the A23 cycle path. There are a couple of other routes onto the hills to keep it interesting.

A mate was trying to persuade me earlier this year to join him on their regular Sat trek upto the Surrey hills. It would have meant as much time in the car as riding. With family & stuff I’d rather use my 4 hour weekend window for just riding .

I road-cycle commute to work 3 days and drive the other 2.

noteeth
    Free Member

Bristol: I try & ride my local trails most days… the woods are about 5 mins from my door. As is a decent pub (the Nova Scotia).

Regular-ish visits to the Mendips, about an hour’s ride away – though there’s usually the offer of a lift.

(One day I will actually live in the woods – but I’m saving that for the apocalypse.)

timnwild

I’m happy to ride mostly where I live – I’m lucky enough to be 5 mins ride from the SOuth Downs – bridleways, footpaths, some wooded single track and even the odd cheeky jump.

But it’s only through having such a good time in beautiful scenery that I got really into the biking, and now I want to experience what other places have to offer – both in terms of scenery and what it can do for my riding. And the trail centres I’ve ridden have always done that.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘who rides mostly where they live?’ is closed to new replies.