Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Who rides 1 x10 in the Peak district? whats it worth enclosed also
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Easily manageable? do you miss the granny gear?

If i went 1 x 10 i would have to sell:
    9 spd XT shifters (new style) in perfect condition, 1 used sram 990 cassette that accepts a new chain, a new 990 cassette and new 9 speed chain, a ropey XT shadow mech with new jockeys, an SLX double specific front mech (used) – how much do you reckon for that lot?

climbingkev
    Free Member

I’m wanting to do the same…..with the same to sell, oddly enough. However, think my fitness would see me running a 32t chainring due to the terrain in the peaks, so I’m concerned about spinning it out downhill. Although that funky 9-36 cassette from hope could give a perfect range, when my lottery numbers come in!

sambob
    Free Member

Try it with just the middle ring for a while, see if you can manage it. Remember it’ll get easier as you go on.

nomakoman
    Free Member

i run 1×9….cant see why you would spin out on a 32….only on a road downhill, off road its not really feasible as 32×11 is a pretty hefty gear! fwiw i run a 34 with 11-32 on back, only wished had a 34 on back once but that was after my legs had died 6 hrs into an epic round the peaks coming up a hill out of glossop!!

mboy
    Free Member

Although I don’t live in the Peaks, I’ve ridden lots of fairly steep and plenty of long climbs on my single ringed bike now. And to be honest, it just forces the issue of the climb a bit more, and you get out the saddle a bit earlier like you would on a singlespeed, but you’ve still got low enough gears to climb anything on it.

A 1:1 bottom ratio “should” really be low enough for most reasonably fit and strong mountain bikers (I’d not recommend Single Ring to beginners or people lacking in some base fitness tbh), and in practice it usually is… For about the first 2-3 hours of a ride. After that I always found I was longing for a slightly lower gear just to help a bit when I was tired, so swapped the 36T ring I had back out for a 32T again. So it’s 32Tup front, 11-36 out back for me.

With a 2.25″ Maxxis Crossmark out back, the only time I’ve ever spun out was on a long downhill stretch on road. Offroad, I don’t think I’ve used the 11T cog more than once or twice, and only get down to the 13T occasionally. On road, on the flat it’s usually sat in the 13T cog and I can spin along at a nice pace. So I don’t really long for any taller gears to be honest.

Jeffus
    Free Member

32 up front 11-36 out back is great any where 😀 I’ve tried 34 and 36 upfront ok for shorter rides , but lots of climbing hurts after a few hours.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Cheers all, 32t : 11-36t it is…..as soon as funds allow!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Who rides 1 x10 in the Peak district? whats it worth enclosed also’ is closed to new replies.