Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Who on this forum doesn't have a road bike then?
  • ChrisL

I don’t own one, but I have a hybrid (Kona Dr Dew) for commuting. The concept of road riding for the sake of road riding, rather using it as a method of transport, just doesn’t appeal to me much.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Nope, no interest at all. Just don’t see the attraction of cycling specifically in amongst noisy/smelly/aggressive motorists… I mtb to enjoy the (relative) peace and beauty of the countryside – cowmines/brambles/nettles aside, of course 😆

timraven

No, not at all interested, barely have enough time out on the MTB, no way I’d spend time or money on a road bike.

Nothing against them, just really doesn’t appeal.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…barely have enough time…

This is why I started riding more and more on the road in the last 5 years or so. The local mountain biking was getting a staid. I didn’t want to have to drive somewhere to go riding, so started exploring the vast network of quiet tarmac from my doorstep.

cinnamon_girl

Who on this forum has a road bike and doesn’t ride it?

😳

chakaping
    Free Member

Been out several times on it, round loads of lanes/hills in the Surrey Hills but still can’t get hooked on it.

Took me most of a year for it to click. Can’t imagine not having one now.

I bet this time next year you’ll be hooked, with so much good riding on your doorstep (if you live in the SH).

BillMC

I didn’t until a couple of weeks ago. I just had a single speed, a hardtail and full suss but made the mistake of ‘just taking a look’ in the lbs. Caved in and got a nice carbon Eddy Merckx bike and so far have really enjoyed it. It’s not either or, it’s in addition to. Fortunately the drivers in Rutland seem very civilised and are used to seeing people on bikes. When on my road bike I shall disconcert mtbers by giving smiles and shouting saluds.

MrAgreeable

No road bike here but I do have two CX bikes, including a light racey one that’ll quite happily do roadie duties with a set of slick tyres.

If I was going to raise any objection to road bikes, it’d be the way that even low-end ones can be aimed at the race market, with no mudguard or rack mounts and poor tyre clearance.

Of course you can get plenty of road bikes that are more all-rounders, and plenty of CX bikes that are aimed squarely at people who only want to ride for 45 minutes plus a lap.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If I was going to raise any objection to road bikes, it’d be the way that even low-end ones can be aimed at the race market, with no mudguard or rack mounts and poor tyre clearance.

You could say exactly the same about most MTBs

shandcycles
    Free Member

leffeboy
    Only mountain bikes but having difficulty not pressing buy on a Shand Stoater

We’ve done some number crunching and some negotiating which has meant a price drop today!

Also, I’m sure we could sneak a wee Leffeboy deal in there too 😀

ononeorange

Not me – just not for me (largely geography related).

Konastoner
    Free Member

Nope, and don’t intend to either.

Euro
    Free Member

Nope. I ride on the road to get to off-road destinations and generally hop, jump and wheelie where possible. I don’t think i could just pedal anywhere, so i think a road bike would be a bad idea for me.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Had one. Did the Dragon ride, LEJOG for Charideee and the Cat and Fiddle.
    Since then commuted twice and suddenly couldn’t stand the thing.
    British roads are sh1t

May get one when my body tells me that crashing mountain bikes isn’t funny anymore

tomhoward

I didn’t…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bet this time next year you’ll be hooked, with so much good riding on your doorstep (if you live in the SH).

maybe if I lived somewhere like Honiton in Devon but not round here, with the Surrey Hills, Tunnel Hill and Swinley all pretty close, plus Horsell common opposite which gives my a 30 odd mile route up to Sunningdale and back.

Plus I find the fitness aspect of mountain biking suits me much better.

I have tinnitus/hyperacusis caused by narrow eustachian tubes and the panting type breathing caused by cycling helps a lot – and it seems that mtbing helps me more, plus I find it more fun.

I thought that might be the case so I bought an Equilibrium which will get used for a few sportives and training in the winter when the trails are really bad.

I will use it to get my fitness up to a level where I can go at a reasonable pace on the mtb, and hopefully spend less time running 🙂

13thfloormonk

Had one, sold it to move to Vancouver.

I now have so much good MTB on my doorstep its sickening, North Shore, Squamish, Whistler, Cumberland, etc. etc.

Still missing long days on Scottish roads on the road bike though, so it can’t be that dull, eh? 8)

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Who on this forum doesn't have a road bike then?’ is closed to new replies.