Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Who night rides on the road then?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I will text you as I might be able to pick it up tomorrow night.

onandon
    Free Member

I love freezing cold night rides. absolute fave riding.
    A few years back it didnt get much over -0 for a couple of weeks,joy.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

yup, I do. The daily cycle commute during the winter. It can be a shock if you havent done it before but it’s quite pleasant when you get used to it.

andrewh
    Free Member

or drivers get dazzled and retaliate – and you just can’t compete

Not advocating an arms race, but yes you can

http://www.full-beam.com/gallerynightnemesisbeamshots.htm#images/Night-Nemesis-Beamshots/beamshotwide.jpg

winterfold
    Free Member

commute 3 times/week plus a Tues night group ride.

There are five of use and everyone has an Exposure Strada/Toro or more powerful MTB style front light so it is like daytime really.

Five of those completely freaks cars out and they pull into the verge – where I live is pretty rural and I think it looks like a combine coming down the road.

If you do a regular route and are properly attired then you get to know all the potholes and nasties and it is pretty enjoyable, especially on a clear starry night. If it pisses down, then it is **** miserable in the way that only road riding in the rain can be.

grtdkad

During the winter we use a 60/40 offroad/road loop in all weathers – down to -5C last year fairly often.

Will dim my Liberator for cars (or cover with my hand). Did get one complaint from an OAP driver last year about the brightness – just pleased he could see me tbh!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I run a Lumen Liberator on low beam and haven’t had any problems with oncoming motorists. If they don’t dip their beam then they’ll experience the full force of the LL. They soon dip their beam after. 😈

**** that, it’s a good way to get run down.

Have to disagree with that. If anything you’re much more visible at night when lit up like a Christmas tree. They can’t fail to notice you.

I love freezing cold night rides. absolute fave riding

Same as. You get a lot of very still crisp nights, even better with a bright moon.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

First ride was returning from dropping TSY off up north and we had about 4 hours of riding in the dark. 8) Really enjoyed it – aside from not being able to see potholes *ouch*

Second one slightly less successful due to thinking we’d not need lights as it was mid summer – we did and had to ride with my tiny/useless commuting light on country roads until we got back into town at the back of midnight.

Planning to keep the Tuesday road ride going throughout winter for as long as possible and planning other night road rides.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I do, but not as much as I used to, too many nutty drivers about, and since I started driving a proper sized car I’ve realised quite how narrow some roads are! In the midget if you approached at cyclist at 30 on a singletrack road there could still be 3 ft between you, in the focus theres nothing! And that’s me as a slow driver expecting cyclists!

Commutings different, but I dont do it for fun anymore. Just ride Guisbrough woods for intervals and the Moors for distance on the singlespeed. quite easy to ride for 2-3hours without doubling up tracks.

Jamie
    Free Member

During the winter we use a 60/40 offroad/road loop in all weathers – down to -5C last year fairly often.

Any issues with black ice and such?

grtdkad

Any issues with black ice and such?

…fewer issues with unseen black ice. More frequent ar$e plants on sections of sheet ice tbh!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Who night rides on the road then?’ is closed to new replies.