Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Who makes steel chainrings in UK?
  • epicyclo

Just about to buy a new stainless Surly chainring, but I thought I’d check to see if there were any UK manufacturers of steel chainrings.

joshvegas
    Free Member

On one sell them…

Probably not uk made though..

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Got one of http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CROOSS/on-one-stainless-chainring in my spares box, paid £8 IIRC last Xmas, yet to try it (along with the 16T singlespeed kit and two tone SS chain).

epicyclo

Thanks, I’ve got a few of those On-One rings. They’re quite nice.

I was just hoping there was a UK manufacturer somewhere. (Prefer to buy locally made where possible)

Also I’m looking for in the 39-44 tooth range. The only source I know off is Surly Stainless rings and that’s what I’ll be buying if nothing local is made.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If Hope are reading this, I like the idea. And maybe there’s a market of more than two people.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Talon eng Yeovil. make chain rings for St. John street cycles ( thorn ) but only ever seen alloy ones

And they used to sell dh rings years ago

ontor
    Free Member

Betd might be up for it.

kayla1
    Free Member

I don’t know if this might be considered spam or self-promotion, but we make stainless singlespeed rings-

http://www.projection-components.co.uk/stainless-singlespeedfixie-chainrings-1028-p.asp

The tooth profile is meant to keep the chain in line with the rear so they don’t work very well/at all with a rear mech but I’ve been using/testing them for the last couple of years on various SSs – they work fine and they’re made in England, right here in the North. We can make different sizes and different bolt patterns as well if you’ve got an oddball crank.

ontor
    Free Member

looks great kayla – can you do middleburn spline?

epicyclo

ontor – Member
    looks great kayla – can you do middleburn spline?

Pretty please. I could use a few of those on various bikes.:)

That they don’t work well with a mech is no concern. It’s for single speed use.

EDIT: 23T rear cogs! Just what I need for the ‘Puffer! I’ve ordered one.

kayla1
    Free Member

If you can send me an email (in my profile) with a few measurements I can get something knocked up in CAD for you to check first.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If you can start making chain rings like the original Onza Buzzsaw for geared use they’d sell well.

Del

they work fine

i don’t think anyone can accuse you of self promotion…
    🙂

that’s a good price. might be worth looking at making some to suit the newer ‘asymmetric’ shimano spider spacing, and getting them up on the site? as i recently found out it is easy to buy the cranks without either the bb or ring ( 😕 ) , so you may pick up some sales that way.

troberts1994
    Free Member

Just about to buy a new stainless Surly chainring

I bought a Surly stainless chainring for the singlespeed. It didn’t sit on the crank spider very well and I managed to oval it after a few rides. The new profile might help my power output I guess…..

kayla1
    Free Member

I’d looked at the asymmetric rings but I’d need to buy a crank to measure and I’m tight… 😆 It’s a good excuse for new stuff though, right? And it’d be an investment, wouldn’t it?

epicyclo

If I sent you a Middleburn crank, how long would you need it for? It would be coming off a bike I use. 🙂

epicyclo

BTW folks, I’ve received the SS cog. Looks good.

Makes it worth supporting UK manufacturers.

slowster
    Free Member

kayla1, it might be worth reviewing Surly’s various offerings here and considering both what their biggest sellers might probably be (identify the biggest market and then compete with them for it by offering a superior UK equivalent) and also gaps in their range (such as the ‘assymetric’ rings as you describe them).

I suspect that it might pay to offer 110mm BCD 5 arm rings (e.g. 36t-44t), since that is probably going to appeal to Rohloff users. It might be worth asking SJS Cycles if they are interested in stocking rings, but if it’s not financially viable to sell them through a reseller like SJS, then I would find someone with a Thorn Rohloff and give them a ring to test (and ask them to post their comments/review on the Thorn forum website if that is permitted).

TA rings are supposed to be amongst the best, so it might be worth buying one or more of those to use as a pattern. You can get them from Spa Cycles.

ontor
    Free Member

Way ahead of you epicyclo…

kayla1
    Free Member

Ontor’s sent some Middleburn bits (they haven’t landed yet) and I’ve actually already got some 110mm and 130mm 46t stainless singlespeed rings on the shelf but not advertised because I haven’t been able to test them – any volunteers?

Slowster- Are all TA rings aluminium or is there a steel section on the Spa Cycles site I missed?

Del

happy to test a 32 asymmetric ring if you make one. 😀

kayla1
    Free Member

Ok. It’ll take me a couple of weeks to get my act together but I’ll sort something out.

slowster
    Free Member

Slowster- Are all TA rings aluminium or is there a steel section on the Spa Cycles site I missed?

TA rings are almost all aluminium. I was only suggesting that they would be a good choice if you needed a pattern, as they were/are reckoned to be the some of the best chainrings (pro teams reportedly used to swap the Shimano rings for TA on their Dura Ace chainsets).

Stronglight offer some steel rings with various BCDs which Spa sell here, which I think are all aftermarket replacements for the inner rings of triples (TA also do one), but I’m guessing that would not be a market in which you would be very interested.

I’ve actually already got some 110mm and 130mm 46t stainless singlespeed rings on the shelf but not advertised because I haven’t been able to test them – any volunteers?

I suspect a 46t ring with 130mm BCD would probably only be of interest to a fixed gear road rider, and I would have thought that for a ring of that size there is much less advantage to using a harder wearing material like stainless over a bog standard aluminium ring if not used off road.

Sven

I am actually just browsing for a 110 BCD 36 teeth chainring for a Rohloff-equipped MTB. It’s too replace a VERY old Suntour XC Pro cranks that had a 36 teeth Surly chainring in steel, but there were 94 BCD.
    Incidentally, I fitted a new (cheap) crankset to my fixed gear bike last night, it came with a 46T aluminium chainring at 130BCD, and I agree with slowster, at those sizes, there is plenty of contact between chainring and chain to make wear less of a problem.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

See one issue with SS cogs. 2mm base will dig deep into alloy freehub body.

Any chance for something wider? 7-10mm preferably…

Cheers!
    I.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Kayla,
    your 33T SS ring still going well here.
    I’m happy to test out a 46T ring for you if you want?

slowster
    Free Member

I am actually just browsing for a 110 BCD 36 teeth chainring for a Rohloff-equipped MTB.

I wasn’t going to mention it because my own personal plans are not necessarily indicative of the market for such rings, but I am planning on buying a 38t 110 BCD Surly stainless ring for a Rohloff build. Reading the Thorn forum, I do get the impression that 36t up to maybe 44t are the most common sizes used.

Sven, what 110 BCD cranks are you going to use?

kayla1
    Free Member

No 😆

The cost (time & material) of machining 7-10mm down to 2-3mm pushes the cost up. There’s a good reason why wide base stainless cogs are more expensive than narrow base ones! 😉 I’ve swapped my freehub for a steel one because of that.

I’m happy to test out a 46T ring for you if you want?

Cool- send me an address and I’ll bung one out in the post.

thepodge
    Free Member

Normal cog and rivet or weld a spacer on to bring it up to 7-10mm?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

No 😆

Fair play, always worthy asking…

Cheers!
    I.

epicyclo

kayla1 – Member
    No

The cost (time & material) of machining 7-10mm down to 2-3mm pushes the cost up. There’s a good reason why wide base stainless cogs are more expensive than narrow base ones! I’ve swapped my freehub for a steel one because of that.

How about making a wide carrier? The cog could be bolted to it.

Then cogs could be changed with hand tools carried on the bike.

If the hole spacing on the carrier was the same as a 6 bolt disc carrier, you could also sell the cogs to fixie community who use modified disk hubs, and also to the fat bikers who do expeditions, because then if their freehub freezes up and becomes useless they have a bail out gear.

I would buy a carrier and cogs of assorted sizes.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Subbing to this – a source of stainless chain rings – huzzah!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Who makes steel chainrings in UK?’ is closed to new replies.