Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Who makes really really big 29er tyres?
  • charliedontsurf

Being a fat biker (riding a fat bike, but also a bit tubby at times) I have come to appreciate big air volume tyres.

I run 2.4 racing Ralph on the front of my rigid Niner SIR9 demo bike, but want more. There is room for more, but I have not found anything bigger that is in production and available.

Seen 2.5 x29 WTBs but they no longer exist.

It strikes me as a logical product, with some neat benefits like free suspension, cool looks and Not sinking in sand.

Anyone know anything?

Sam

the 2.4 Ralphs are the largest volume tyre I know of. 2.4 Ardents are similar in size but with a more aggressive tread and solid casing.

Stoner
    Free Member

The 2.55 WTB Werewolfs come up skinnier than the RR2.4
    Stouts come up fat, but that’s the knobble not air in the carcass.

scud
    Free Member

I think that the 2.4 Ardent is the largest “normal” tyre i’ve come across so far.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Maxxis have a 2.5 Minion coming out though I reckon it will be lardy.

fatboyjon

If the soon to be released Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29er measures up like it’s 26×2.35 little brother itll be well over 2.5″. I fitted a pair of 26″ ones the other week and they’re more like a 2.6 ish tyre.

thomthumb
    Free Member

what rims? – my 2.4 rrs have narrowed significantly when swapping from 24 to 19 mm (internal) rims.

aracer
    Free Member

Try having a look through http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78175 – unicyclists like wide tyres, so there are likely to be some good tips in there (I’ve got a 26er, so have ignored recommendations about 29ers when reading that, so couldn’t comment – sorry).

coastkid
    Free Member

Just read a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29er Tyre review
    Stronger walls than Nic and Ron tyres,
    Pair of them on the 47mm Uni cycle rims should be ace 🙂

Bimbler
    Free Member

what rims? – my 2.4 rrs have narrowed significantly when swapping from 24 to 19 mm (internal) rims

loved the look of the rims on the Jones in ST this month, are they Velocity P35? Never heard of Velocity before but they are an Australian rim maker (moving to US soon) and do their rims in loads of colours. Not sure if they have a UK distributor but seem available from US. They’re gonna be next rims I think, although I think my TN719’s are unkillable.

aracer
    Free Member

If you’re looking at new rims and want really wide tyres, then as coastkid alluded, get some uni ones:
    http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-spares/rims.html?sizewheel=473

jameso

I love my P35s. 2.4 Ardents with 18psi in the front. Good combo. The Conti Rubber Queen 29er black chilli is what I really want on the front tho. If they made that in a 2.4…. it’d be a 30er.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I use Ardents, Rampages and Werewolfs, and the width varies depending on what rim they are on, obviously the wider the better. I only use the Werewolfs in the summer as the tread isn’t aggressive enough for the winter gloop.

EDIT: Those P35s look ace

Sam

The Conti Rubber Queen 29er black chilli is what I really want on the front tho. If they made that in a 2.4

True, unless they were similarly sized to the Mountain King 2.4 😉

jameso

Conti’s measuring stick is made of tyre rubber )

2.4 RQ’s in 26″ were the tallest tyres I ever used, great on a rigid bike. The same casing size on a 29″ P35 may be too much, but I’d like to try it out. 26″ 2.2 RQ’s were big enough, about the same casing volume as my Ardent 2.4s and they’re listed in 29″.

tazzymtb

WTB dissent are the biggest 29er rubber at the moment, 70mm wide on a dominator rim. Heavy but ace at 9 psi

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Who makes really really big 29er tyres?’ is closed to new replies.