Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • who makes a 27.5 Plus wheelset to go into a kinesis FF29?
  • v9gss

I have a kinesis FF29 and wanted to try a 27.5plus wheelset in it (apparently they fit) I’m hoping this will quell my urge to buy a fatbike.

All I can find is a WTB scraper rim. that i would have to have built up (as its a bit beyond my skillsset)

Is this all that’s available at the moment?
    If not what else is?

Anyone tried the same thing?

mboy
    Free Member

Built a Scraper onto a Hope Pro2 Evo rear at work the other day and fitted a Trailblazer 2.8 onto it, and gonna build up the front to go with it soon. Happy to quote for a build if you want me to…

scotroutes

I’m not aware of anything off-the-shelf at the moment and I suspect that most built wheels with B+ rims will end up with Boost hubs.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

There’s been a Kinesis ad in the last few WMB mags with a FF29 with 27.5+ wheels and larger volume tyres. It’s a red frame, dropper post, X-Fusion forks and I have to say it looks bloomin’ lovely.

Perhaps drop Kinesis a mail to see what they used in the ad, or just get hold of a copy and see. If I remember I’ll have a look tonight and post back…

johnnystorm

Have a look on the Upgrade webpage. They list the FF29 frame with a “chubby” build kit. Might let you have the wheels separately…

johnnystorm

There you go:

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Bikes/Kinesis/Maxlight-FF275-Chubby

I’ve got a Charge Cooker Ti and considering the same thing. While they say the new 27+ frames are “all new” it’s interesting they are still putting front mech cable guides (on a totally 1x range) on the Ti frame like my 29er has…. 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

Am I correct in thinking that with standard 29in frames it might be prudent to stick to 25mm-ish internal width rims?

Sure I read something about wider rims potentially making the 2.8in tyres too wide for the frame on some bikes.

johnnystorm

In which case I’d just go to Superstar and get some 27.5 AM wheels. Particularly after seeing how much Upgrade want for their DMR hubbed Scraper wheels! 😆

Gotama
    Free Member

Am I correct in thinking that with standard 29in frames it might be prudent to stick to 25mm-ish internal width rims?

The link to upgrade bikes suggesting they will build you an FF29 with scraper rims and wtb tyres suggests they’ll go in pretty much anything as the clearance on my old FF29 was average at best. A Specialized Purgatory on a P35 rim was about the limit and that’s not what I would call a wide tyre, certainly not in the realms of a 2.4 Ardent or Schwalbe 2.35 anyway. Interesting though.

Mboy, will drop you a mail as i’m possibly after giving this a go and have no wheelbuilding skillz.

Edit Mboy no email on profile – can you either let me have your email or just drop a quote for a build with a pro2 here. Ta

thepodge
    Free Member

I really do fancy having a go at this 650b+ stuff but rim & tyre prices are silly high

johnnystorm

Rims maybe but Trailblazers are £40-45 quid each. About the same as my Van tyres then. 🙄

singlespeedstu

For anyone that’s thinking of trying a Scraper/Trailblazer combo this is how wide they come out.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wEaV9k]69mm.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

boxelder

The B+ wheels are smaller diameter pulling the tyre tread away from the narrowing of chainstays on most bikes, so can’t simply compare to 29×2.4 or whatever. WTB Trailblazer 2.8 on a 50mm dually just fits in the back of a mk1 Solaris, but not even close on a scandal.

boxelder

Anyone know the width on a Panaracer Fat B nimble 3.5 – and don’t post 3.5 unless you know for certainsure…..

singlespeedstu

The B+ wheels are smaller diameter pulling the tyre tread away from the narrowing of chainstays on most bikes

Except on some bikes the chainstays are kinked/ indented where the 29er tyres sits and not where the B+ sits. 😐

Some info here.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-29/27-5-frame-compatibility-thread-post-your-setup-957906.html

And here.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-29/27-5-tires-931412.html

Gotama
    Free Member

Stu – Please could try the rear in your QH and tell me whether it fits or not. From faffing with a measuring tape I can’t work out whether the bend in the chainstays will hit the tyre sidewall or not.

singlespeedstu

My money says no but I’ll have a try when I get 5.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ta

singlespeedstu

OK.
    Curiosity got the better of me. (and if my new frame doesn’t arrive soon they’ll be fitted to the 2Souls.)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vMMvg6]2Souls/Trailblazer/Scraper.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wGkvGo]2Souls/Trailblazer/Scraper[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Just roughly thrown in as its a 142 wheel in 135 dropouts.Might tweek a little more room my moving the sliders too.
    Looks like it’ll work though.

boxelder

Mboy – have you got bits in stock? Tyres and rims?

scotroutes

Remember that this is also dropping the BB height. Fine if that’s what you’re after of course….

IIRC Fat B Nimbles are coming in around 3″ (depending on rim, obviously)

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks Stu. Might have to get a pair built up to give it a try, maybe with a dually as the 5mm less width may give a little more room in the stays but still give the + ride.

v9gss

Cheers gents, only just checked back, wasn’t expecting that amount of reply.

I’m reckoning £400 wheels + tyres on upgrade. (I might have to wait until there’s cheaper options or just buy a second hand fat bike for the same money)

The kinesis frame I have is a 2012, I wouldn’t mind finding somewhere with a set in stock just to see what clearance I get.

boxelder

First ride on B+ front wheel for me yesterday – trailblazer on dually rim. Unsurprisingly it’s like riding a wide 29er tyre at low pressure, with lots more ‘floaty cush’ and no rim strikes. Handling was sharper – slightly smaller diameter + more grip? Felt odd turning on tarmac, but the trailblazer is very square/flat on a 45mm rim. Ordered a Panaracer fat b nimble for front and the trailblazer will go on a 35mm rim on the rear. High St, Boredale and Ullswater shore tomorrow though with the trailblazer. Solaris frame and RS revs.

singlespeedstu

Gotama.
    There’s more room there than you can see in the pictures.
    It’s quite hard to get a good pic of the clearance.

boxelder

High St, Boredale and Ullswater shore tomorrow though with the trailblazer. Solaris frame and RS revs.

Rocky Ullswater shore felt great on the B+ front. Need the rear now – extra traction there would have cleared a few more climbs and been more fun on descents – kept whacking the back wheel on stuff the front breezed over.
    Not sure what pressure I had, but coming down to Boredale Hause, and then off from Beda Fell was a bit squirmy turning and braking. Must get a pressure gauge.
    Where has stock of 35mm rims???

v9gss

Chain reaction have the scraper in stock (or did last week)

boxelder

I’m after 35ish, but that’s 50. Ta

v9gss

Who makes a 35mm then? Might be more appropriate for a 29er conversion?

takisawa2

Best of luck finding Blunts (old P35) rims in 27.5″.
    Like hens teeth.

boxelder

The new East on Arcs come in a 30mm internal. The Blunts are 35 external and 30 into, so I’m going for Easton, apparently available end of this month.

rOcKeTdOg

Velocity dually is 45mm, wiggle had them last time I looked

thepodge
    Free Member

For those on a budget I noticed a few 29.5 internal rims and one 35 internal on crc for under 50/75

v9gss

Stans flow ex are apparently 29mm internal now.

I’m after a pair of these for my trail full sus.

Might get some big tyres and give them a go on the 29er ht first.

v9gss

Correct that, to 25.5 internal, 29 external

Superstar have 15% pre-built wheelsets for August they’re 25mm internal come in at £157 they get decent reviews and are apparently good up to 2.8 tyres?

I assume this means 2.8 plus tyres would go on, although I’d imagine a lot rounder than pics above.

Codes EMAILWHEELAUG for anyone who’s not got it.

boxelder

Flow EX are just shy of 30mm externally according to NoTubes site

I noticed a few 29.5 internal rims and one 35 internal on crc for under 50/75

– Any clues. I can see Hugo, Mulefoot and Scrapers – all 40mm+. Spank Spike out of stock.
    ?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m also tempted by those SS wheels, I’ve got the same ones in 29er form and they are very good.

Are the WTBs the only tyre options? I’m not exactly minted at the mo.

v9gss

Specialized apparently have some on the way.
    Spoke to a lad in a concept store yesterday.
    He reckoned around £40 a tyre.

I assume they’ll come through as the plus bikes do.

thepodge
    Free Member

Boxelder, can’t remember the brand but if you search am35 I think that was one.

If you filter to 650b rims on crc you’ll not have to search much as most model names include the internal dim in the title so you can skip them to

thepodge
    Free Member

My bad, Looks like I was reading external sizes

The Spank Spike EVO 35AL has an internal of 30

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘who makes a 27.5 Plus wheelset to go into a kinesis FF29?’ is closed to new replies.