Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Who make the securest fitting helmets?
  • vorlich
    Free Member

My ageing Giro Xen is probably due to replacement in the coming months. I don’t find the adjustable/notched sliders to be particularly great, sometimes they slip, causing the helmet to move around a bit.

Do most manufacturers use a similar mechanism? Anyone use a better system?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My specialized lids use a dial version of the same thing.

Though to answer the question in the title it all depends on the shape of your head.

vorlich
    Free Member

cheers, I’ll take a look at the Spesh stuff. Anyone else?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

Most have some sort of adjuster to tighten a cradle around the back of your head – but all helmets are shaped differently. Best off just trying a few in a bike shop.

makeitorange
    Free Member

My Fox Flux has a good ratchet system at the back that has never slipped loose, although it does require two hands to get an even tightening on both sides unlike the dial systems.

rocketman
    Free Member

Would advise some caution with retention systems. A lot of them make a poorly fitting helmet seem OK

The important thing is that the liner fits your head – no gaps round the sides or front/rear. You need as much of your skull as possible in contact with the shock-absorbing liner so the helmet can do its job

The plastic cradle won’t save you.

patriotpro
    Free Member

My ‘Uvex XP100’ has been superb.

Light, comfy, secure and reasonably low-profile with good rear coverage – Recommended.

Paid £55 for it from memory 3 and a bit years ago.

Nobby

What Rocketman said ^^

Giro changed their adjustment widget a year or so back & it’s much improved btw.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve gone from a Gyro E2 to a Xar and the rear adjuster is now a dial which unformly adjusts both side the same. Feels an improvement on the E2s sliders by quite a margin.

vorlich
    Free Member

Thanks all. Point noted regarding fitting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Who make the securest fitting helmets?’ is closed to new replies.