Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Who loves hay (oops, straw) bales?
  • mjsmke

thestabiliser
    Free Member

that’s straw

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those are straw not hay.

***** ****** city ****s not knowing the difference.

😉

[18 seconds!]

sv

Prefer old skool rectangular ones myself. Ones you could load onto a trailer, forearms never quite the same 🙂

matt_outandabout

😆

mjsmke

Well there you go I’ve learned something new today. 😛

binners

They’ve covered the ones up near us with bright pink shrink wrap. It looks like someones been liberally distributing giant pink liquorice allsorts all over the place

thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

There’s something so cute about them for some reason.

Not to mention, great for trials 🙂 (don’t tell Farmer Jim)

Nice bike btw.

rusty90
    Free Member

They’ve covered the ones up near us with bright pink shrink wrap.

Part of a breast cancer campaign. http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/photos-pink-silage-bales-decorate-farms-for-cancer-initiative.htm

binners

Every day’s a school day eh? I didn’t know that. They look great, in a suitably bonkers way! 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

I remember a bunch of us had just hauled our asses up a rather unrelenting climb on a hot summers day. We stopped at the top and there was a field with multiple round straw bales just begging to be started rolling back down the hill. So we charged in there and climbed on a couple before we noticed the farmer and colleagues who promptly hollered at us “OIIII!!!”
    We all shouted “leg it” leapt back on our bikes and rode off pronto.

The youngest of our group was 30 odd. 😳

tom199
    Free Member

Great pic, lovely bike. How you finding it? I’m going to pick one up this weekend hopefully, anything i should look out for?

Pigface
    Free Member

You started rolling a Big Bale down the hill 😯

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-20399136

andysredmini
    Free Member

I saw this on Sunday and thought it was impressive enough to stop and get a pic.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wQoZkP]Untitled[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr

ferrals
    Free Member

Near where I used to live the bales were covered up with the black wrap and stacked up. Someone used to write messages a letter per bale on them. My favourite was ‘Run for the hills’ as it was by the coast and you could see the start of the beacons in the distance. Always meant to get a photo – never did bother stopping though

whitestone
    Free Member

Last year when the Tour de France was over here, some of the farmers in Wensleydale had some big “Wensleydale Cheese” stickers made for the round bales. Do a search for “wensleydale cheese bales” and click on the images section.

mjsmke

Great pic, lovely bike. How you finding it? I’m going to pick one up this weekend hopefully, anything i should look out for?

Love the bike. Are you getting the same one or the 2016? Mines a size small and suits me fine at 5ft5. It came with a 70mm stem so trying out a 50mm. It’s taken me a while to get the setup just right and added a 3rd token in the forks to make them more progressive like the rear end.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got more of a silage fettish. Was smelling lovely at the weekend 😀

matt_outandabout

tom199
    Free Member

I’m also getting the 2015 the same as yours. I’m 5ft9 and going for the medium so hopefully i’ll get on well with it. I’ve already identified the longer stem as my first potential change and get rid of the bash guard but i think i’ll ride it for a good few weeks and see how i get on with it first. Interesting about the fork token, i’ll bare that in mind thanks

ski
    Free Member

As a lad who used to work on a farm, stacking rectangular bales in stacks of eight (four layers high) we decided to see how high we could stack a ‘eight’ in the field.

This involved build a stepped stack, which grew to ten stacks high, we then removed all the lower stacks just leaving our impressive creation. This was no mean feat as the stack fell several times until we managed to balance it correctly.

Sadly the farm owner did not seem to approve of our creation.

Had my weekly pay packet docked a whole hours wage, best 56p lost ever 😉

Round bales are no fun!

globalti
    Free Member

Those green or white shrink-wrapped bales of silage – they go black in the sun, right?

TooTall
    Free Member

Rectangular bales are bestest. Far easier for building houses.

Pigface
    Free Member

They don’t change colour

anagallis_arvensis

I love hay, would you like me to tell you all about my PhD about hay meadows…..

slowoldman

I came across a book on the reinstatement of hay meadows in the dales (or maybe is was specifically Swaledale) when staying on a farm a couple of years ago. I fancied having a good read through it but forgot to note the title for later research. Any idea what it might have been?

anagallis_arvensis

Hay Time in the Yorkshire Dales. Edited by Don Gamble I think. Its got my name in if you know where to look! Based hay strewing method they use was based on some work I was involved in!

spooky_b329

Round bales are horrible things, impossible to move, don’t fit through doorways and difficult to get the hay off.

Small square bales open up like bread, into thick slices 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wrapped is silage…
    Roll them down a hill absolute idiots, seen them bounce 6ft plus at a hell of a speed, nothing funny at all.
    After moving thousands of them the appeal does wear off a little

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Who loves hay (oops, straw) bales?’ is closed to new replies.