Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Who loves – and I mean really loves – their job?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Quote from Steve Jobs in 2005 I think:

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.”

In equal measure inspiring and depressing. There can’t be many people in the world who can truly claim to love their job. Can there??

camo16
    Free Member

Only Americans are allowed to speak like this.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There have been times in my life when I have really liked my job, but this has never last for more than a few months.

Mrs FD on the other hand truly loves her job and wouldnt change it for anything. I dream of having a job like that!

LoCo
    Free Member

Has it’s moments 😀

LabMonkey
    Free Member

I love my job – exercise physiologist – I am very lucky!

mrlugz
    Free Member

I love my job insomuch as it enables me to partake in things I enjoy via fiscal reward.

However, there is a guy at our place who is a Radio HAM and electronics enthusiast. He can talk to you for hours about wave propogation ang yaagi’s, absolutley loves anything to do with radio, and can repair pretty much any electrical device you can give him.

He works in our lab and repairs our rather complex radio system.

Happy? oh yes.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I don’t really like my job but it enables me to do the things I do like doing.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nope, never loved a job in my life but I accept that I need to work in order to pay for the things that I do love. I am occasionally satisfied with a particularly good piece of work but in the grand scheme of things i just do it for the money. If I could earn more or earn the same in less time doing something else I probably would.

totalshell

i love my job because i do it when i want .. earn enough to pay the bills and pay for toys.. spend days like today smooching on line before hitting the MTL

Stuey01
    Free Member

I hate my job. Every day.
    At least it pays well. But I doubt it’s worth it.

thepurist

I’ve hated a few in my time, but now I’d love one if I had it.

yossarian
    Free Member

I love my life. What I do to make money forms a part of that.

Bullshit americanism

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

I love mine, sure it’s a cruddy wage and often I miss my independent student days and wonder if furthering my Education would have been fun as I could have my days free to ride, climb, sleep etc.
    But I work in the bike industry and get to talk bikes all day, OK we have a few iffy customers but every line of work generally gets them, generally I’m happy and realise I got a very helpful boss when it comes to personal shiny bits, always happy to get me a good deal which adds to the job a little.
    Though I do believe a job is what you make it to be, In reality i have worked in some pretty shitty places but somehow have seemed to enjoy every one of them and met some kick ass people.

stumpy01

Stuey01 – Member
    I hate my job. Every day.
    At least it pays well. But I doubt it’s worth it

Hmmm, this sounds familiar. Really should look for something more rewarding, even if it entails a pay cut….

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve always found the main problem is getting a job you enjoy which pays well enough. I could go and do hundreds of other jobs that i’m sure i’d love and find very rewarding (not financially speaking) but then i wouldn’t be able to afford my lifestyle or my house.

I have a mate who’s a filthy rich banker and his new wife works for a charity in Brazil helping homeless kids which i’m sure she loves, but it’s only made possible by her husbands very high salary. Would she love it if she was on the breadline and life was a struggle?

Guess i need to find a wealthy lady to take care of me….

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Bullshit americanism

Harsh? I have met the odd one or two people for whom work is their life. They love it and devote endless hours to it. Looking at it another way, they earn a living doing what they love rather than work being a necessary evil to enjoy life.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I love my job,I’ve spent thirty years doing it,it pays really, really well, I work pretty much when I want and for who I want and I wouldn’t consider doing anything else. hurrah etc.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Love it – started my own business 18 months ago and despite the odd 65 hour week, it still doesn’t feel like work!

camo16
    Free Member

I want hughjayteens’ job.

duckman

Really like mine, overall.

Stuey01
    Free Member

stumpy01 – agreed mate. Question is what, and in today’s market… Very much looking at options.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mine has ups and downs but in general I can’t think of too many other jobs I’d rather be doing, or rather too many other environments I’d rather be doing that work in.

Interestingly, most of the people I’ve met that loved their work worked outside or doing something physical – natural endorphin supply. I’ve often wondered if that was a better route to go down.

camo16
    Free Member

I’d suggest that anyone who really loves their job wouldn’t be killing time on STW…

monksie
    Free Member

My wife. Hospice Clinical Ward Manager. She has that place running through her veins (not literally-obviously).
    Not me. Glorified Debt Collector.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

When I’m being paid to draw or paint something I couldn’t be happier. If it was spare time I would be cycling or drawing/painting anyway. I don’t like the other side of having to network and sell myself but I’m learning.

My dad retired last year (property developer) and soon got bored. Now he’s gone back to his roots of carpentry and is making bespoke dog kennels, bird houses, cabinets and things. He said he’s never been happier.

chutney13
    Free Member

i’m a glorified debt collector too, and no i do not love my job.

deviant
    Free Member

I enjoy my job, 11 years and counting and looking forward to another 11 years….still get that feeling in my stomach (a mixture of excitement and fear) when a serious sounding call comes over the radio….there are better paid jobs out there but i’ve tried sitting at a desk and it bores me to tears.

That said, i reckon i would be just as happy (if not more so) if i’d scooped that 100 million+ euro jackpot and spent the rest of my life playing around and indulging myself.

stumpy01

Stuey01 – Member
    stumpy01 – agreed mate. Question is what, and in today’s market… Very much looking at options.

That’s the problem. Recently bought a new house – not really stretched ourselves, but want to be able to pay the mortgage for the foreseeable future (including mildly overpaying) and want a job that has a decent amount of security.
    The company I work for is making money, I’ve been here a while & can see where we are going. Jumping ship for a new job that might go down the pan shortly after isn’t something I’d want to risk, even if this job doesn’t feel me with a warm glow day in/day out.

RV
    Free Member

I don’t love my job, I’m possibly indifferent about it. I don’t dread going to work other than the flannel I have to listen to from my staff talking about the latest soap drama/reality guff. I can’t hate it as I’ve not had a day sick in 14 years. I earn well enough, can ride to work and my journey is only 30 mins each way so can be home early with family which gives me more time to ride. I work part time in a LBS which is always entertaining and keeps my in cheap bikes. I also coach kids and adults in cycling and also get to guide Charity rides to Paris and other European destinations for various organisations. I’m actually leaving Stratford next week, guiding 150 riders for Action Medical Research to Brussels via Amsterdam.
    So though I don’t love my job, it does allow me the free time to do things I do love, whether it time with the family, selling someone an exotic bike they have worked hard to afford or help someone meet their goals in doing a long distance charity ride.
    Still wouldn’t say no to a lottery win though, be tough giving up the LBS to do more charity guiding.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have changed: Once I loved programming – building the system right. I still like it, but don’t find it as satisfying. Now I prefer discovering user needs and designing solutions – building the right system.

The commercial/political aspects still do my swede in.

iDave
    Free Member

I absolutely love the main creative, performance and motivational bit of it, but totally hate the admin/detail and organisation bits, at which I’m shockingly bad. Meet interesting people in interesting places and do interesting things with them.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I think most of us would rather do something else than go to work, but the reality is we need to work to enable us to function properly.

If you are a particular type, you are not going to be happy making bird boxes, you probably don’t enjoy it, but actually thrive on the stress of difficult periods of work and as a result properly enjoy the time at home which is a break from that.

Sometimes I really hate my job, but I’d be lost without it!

grum
    Free Member

I absolutely love the main creative, performance and motivational bit of it, but totally hate the admin/detail and organisation bits, at which I’m shockingly bad.

This.

RayMazey
    Free Member

Yes, the vast majority of the time (Mountain Bike Coach). Meet loads of nice / interesting people, which is really good.

willard

I used to. Well, I used to like it a lot at least. I really enjoyed getting out of the house in the morning and getting stuck into it. Now though, I just think that it’s part of the bargain that I made to have money.

To be honest, my role in the TA is far more interesting and something I do genuinely love.

Wouldn’t the test of whether you love your job be whether you would still do it if you didn’t get paid ?
    I reckon I’ve currently got the best job I’ve ever had, but I only do it for the money.
    If I was independently wealthy, I’d find something to keep myself occupied, but it wouldn’t be mending buses.

grum
    Free Member

Wouldn’t the test of whether you love your job be whether you would still do it if you didn’t get paid ?

I used to do mine on a voluntary basis. Quite a few people still do volunteer with us.

anagallis_arvensis

If I could work part time for the same amount of money I’d love it, as it it is I just like it most of the time….. Science Teacher

Grum, I was thinking of Special Constables as the only example of a volunteer doing almost exactly the same job as a regular worker.
    I guess there must be lots more though when you think of all the charity shops, museums, dog rescues and so on staffed by volunteers.

user-removed
    Free Member

Bearing in mind the lottery comments and MTG’s response, I must quite like my job – I’d definitely carry on doing it if I suddenly became stinking rich. Although I’d do it in a slightly swankier way!

I swallowed the American dream BS referred to above in my (very) late twenties, put all my apples into one ricketty basket and spent four years turning my hobby into a business, via college and uni.

Sorry, but I really, and I mean really love my job, at least 80% of the time (photographer FWIW)!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Who loves – and I mean really loves – their job?’ is closed to new replies.