Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Who knows anything about buying and selling shares?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Wife has bought some shares at work through the company share save scheme. Can anyone give me an easy guide to: –

whether we need to pay stamp duty
    cheapest way to sell them
    when does capital gains tax kick in and is that on the selling value or the profit?

Cheers.

Could leave it in the bike forum because I know what I want to spend the money on.

jon1973
    Free Member

buy low, sell high.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s the plan. Just trying to work out how high they need to go to make a profit once I’ve considered all the hidden costs.

jon1973
    Free Member

There’s a really good book I bought call the Naked Trader (link).

It explains all about the hidden costs and pitfulls like the spread and how you can be caught out. It also talks about tax and that sort of thing. It’s well worth a read.

atlaz
    Free Member

Capital gains – Clue is in the name, it’s on the profit. Conversely if you did a lot of this, you could offset your inevitable losses against tax too.

robbo1234biking

If it is like my wifes share save scheme it is pretty simple and no admin for you. You pay a set amount each month for the shares over twelve months. At the end of the 12 months you can choose to sell them or keep them. If they sell at a loss the company reimburse you any losses (i.e worse case you get back what you put in at teh end of the 12 months)

Onzadog
    Free Member

This one works in that we’ve saved for 3 years and opted to buy the shares as the price has gone up. We’re now looking to sell them but realising that selling them might incur more cost than we first thought.

MrTall
    Free Member

You have a CGT allowance (each) of £10,100 in each tax year.

Any gains over and above this are taxed at 18%.

So, if you buy at £10k and sell at £20k you have no tax liability. After April 2011 you can repeat the process again.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers Mr Tall, we should be safe from that one then!

ianv
    Free Member

stamp duty is 1% I think, when you sell or buy.

teef
    Free Member

Allowance £10,100
    Rate 18% or 28% depending on your tax band

Might be exempt from CGT if it’s a approved scheme anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Who knows anything about buying and selling shares?’ is closed to new replies.