Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Who knows a thing or two about Fox Talas Forks? Got a problem with mine
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I have some 2010 (maybe 2011) Fox Talas R forks but the Talas part does not really work.

They should shift between 100-130-160 but When I switch it seems to change between 160 – 145/150mm rather than the three settings. I was just wondering if someone knows what usually happens with these, ‘how’ they usually break? Is it a case that I will probably need a new cartridge for the leg that does the adjusting or might it simply be the switch that changes the travel not working properly?

If the latter, anyone know how you remove the switch? My 1.5mm allen key is too small and my 2mm allen key is too big?? Have the really put a 1.75mm allen key bolt in there?

rab5474
    Free Member

As for talas breaking i’m not sure, but from memory i think the allen key is imperial sizing, i could be wrong tho

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Thanks for the info man

But I mean, who does that?! It is just a faff!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Could it be the tiny bearing under the Talas travel adjust thats dislodged?

banks
    Free Member

If it is stuffed i would highly recommend converting them into Floats – best thing I’ve done in a long time. Night/day difference.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Rumble – thats what I was wondering?

Banks – I have new forks and just want to see what I can do to sell these, obviously worth a good bit more in when the talas works but if i have to replace the cartridge its not worth it to sell them, just sell them as talas not working.

Any guesses on what they are worth like that? Everything else works fine. Essentially a set of 160mm float 36s? Tapered steerer and 20mm axle

timmys

If you have the patience/skills then the answer probably lies in this thread;

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/attention-fox-talas-experts-help-please-610097.html

I managed to get my 2010 36 TALAS travel settings working properly by following the take down in that thread. I can’t say I identified any problems but stripping them down and putting them back together seemed to to do the trick. I also found they seemed to like actually being used; by which I mean they always seemed to be reluctant to stick at the correct travels when pushing them down by hand when they were off the bike wheres in use on the bike they seemed fine.

By the way, yours would be 2010’s as they went 160-120 travel in 2011 I believe.

LoCo
    Free Member

Imperial Allen bolts in topcap, and they’re soft too so use non ballend of Allen key to undo.
    Function wise, sounds like a leak in the talas leg, dirt ingress blocking ports, damage to internal parts or incorrect fluid levels causing the issues, service should sort it out.
    Or convert to float or coil spring for better performance if you don’t use the travel adjust function

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any guesses on what they are worth like that? Everything else works fine. Essentially a set of 160mm float 36s? Tapered steerer and 20mm axle

Except they are not, Travel Adjust Linear Air Spring (TALAS) is not float it’s more like a light Van.

My experience with Talas is when it goes wrong get it serviced.

waller
    Free Member

If you do sell them as busted let me know but good luck in un busting them.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses lads.

I am just wanting rid of them, need the money so I think just selling them as they are is the best option as I wont get my money back on a service I don’t imagine.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Waller – I will be but I am in france, was just going to sell them here as i imagine posting will be £20 or so

waller
    Free Member

Let me know if you did want to sell them on. I could always use the stantions.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Who knows a thing or two about Fox Talas Forks? Got a problem with mine’ is closed to new replies.