Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Who is your favourte living photographer?
  • roper
    Free Member

As the title says really.
    Who do you think will have the staying power or is leading the way in photography today?

corroded
    Free Member

I’m a huge fan of Trent Parke (an Aussie Magnum photog):
    http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/midnight

But I don’t follow contemporary photography as closely as I should so interested to see who else others rate.

Creg

I like a lot of the timelapse work done by Philip Bloom. He has also done some great work with DSLR video shooting.

This is his Dubai timelapse video which I think is just fantastic. I have a lot of time for timelapse stuff and have done some experimenting with it in the past, although none of it has been to this standard.

Philip Bloom – Dubai

His recent video of Salton Beach filmed on the 550D is very good too. Very atmospheric and the music by Ry Cooder works brilliantly

Philip Bloom – Salton Beach

I think his branching into DSLR video is certainly different and he seems to make good use of the technology. However I await to be shot down in flames for my choice 😳

I cant get that video embedding stuff to work hence the links 🙄

Im also a fan of Troy Paiva/Lost America. Simple photography but very effective. Some great shots on the website: Lost America

_tom_
    Free Member

Philip Bloom is awesome.

white101

nice stuff, good link Creg

pacemaker
    Free Member
    geoffj

If you have to ask 🙄

SFB of course!

SamCooke
    Free Member

Nobuyoshi Araki

druidh
    Free Member

Paul Johnston of Coppermango

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Steve McCurry’s not too bad.

Take a look at the ‘War photos’ on the website – quite disturbing!

Steve McCurry

MrSmith
    Free Member

Gregory Crewdson
    Nuri Bilge Ceylan

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    MartynS

sheldon….

DrJ

Leigh Ledare.

Or Panayiotis Lamprou

Well, maybe not …

Sally Mann

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Good post roper.

Minimalist landscape

Michael Kenna

Bill Schwab

Something a bit more colourful

Marc Adamus

Fantastic black and white nature photos from Nick Brandt

Finally this guy does great plane shots

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not a fan of all that over-processed stuff that abounds these days. Prefer old school type photojournalism, because photographers have to work quickly and instinctively, yet still document facts.

I’ve met Don McCullin, who’s a really nice bloke. Top, top tographer:

Also like Sebastiao Salgado:

grahamh
    Free Member
    jahwomble
    Free Member

I’d go for Don McCullin as well, but I’m biased cos he’s my Godfather and we’ve just spent all weekend on his boat drinking his beer.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No way?!?!?!

You lucky, lucky, lucky bastard!

(Is very jealous)

FWIW, I thought he was great long before I met him. Got to chat to him at a talk he did at the Museum of London, funnily enough the same night Man Utd won the Champions League against Bayern Munich in 1999. Invited him for a pint but he had to get a train up somewhere, sadly. 🙁

jahwomble
    Free Member

Sorry, I had no choice in it 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don McCullin is one of the photographers, along with H C-B, Salgado, Robert Capa and the Magnum photographers, that inspired me when I studied photography at college.

How some of those guys could be in War zones, with bullets flying around, bombs going off etc and still produce great art is just unbelievable.

How they could be in amongst such despair and sorrow, yet still do their jobs so that the World could see the horror, is almost beyond comprehension.

Bangladesh:

Beirut:

Biafra:

I hope you appreciate how lucky you are to know one of the true greats of reportage photography.

You lucky bastard.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Who is your favourte living photographer?’ is closed to new replies.