Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Who is the greatest UK cyclist?
  • ransos
    Free Member

But barely anyone has ever even tried to beat it because frankly it’s a bit of a freak effort, it’s impressive but as records go its more like bouncing up the burj khalifa on a pogo stick than winning world championships or TdFs.

Barely anyone has tried because it’s so extraordinarily difficult – the record was considered to be unbreakable for many years. Prior to Godwin’s effort, several annual mileage records were set, so hardly the obscurity you claim it to be.

I take it you’re keeping up with the three current attempts at beating it?

brassneck

I’d be going for Graeme Obree or Robert Millar myself, purely out of admiration for what they did and what they put up with to do it.

aracer
    Free Member

In the sense that you have to be a bit of a nutter, rather than that you have to be extraordinarily talented. Sure it’s not a trivial thing to do in a physical sense either, and not everybody could do it, but a lot more people could do it than could win the TdF.

I’m not trying to belittle it, and clearly it depends on your definition of “great”, but I’m sure bouncing a pogo stick up the burj khalifa is also extraordinarily difficult.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Can we get Minnaar British Citizenship? I reckon if we phone up the ECB they might know someone who can sort it out.

ransos
    Free Member

In the sense that you have to be a bit of a nutter, rather than that you have to be extraordinarily talented. Sure it’s not a trivial thing to do in a physical sense either, and not everybody could do it, but a lot more people could do it than could win the TdF.

Depends what you mean by “talent”. I think mental fortitude is a very large part of it, which is why the year record is such an extraordinary feat. Let’s not forget that Godwin was a top professional cyclist, and he suffered lifelong physical deformities from his record.

dragon
    Free Member

Tom Simpson was hardly just another drugs death.

1st Brit to wear the Yellow Jersey & finished in the Top 10 overall

Also add in wins at:
    Milan-San Remo
    Paris-Nice
    Paris-Bordeaux
    Tour of Flanders
    Giro de Lombardi
    2 stages of the Vuelta
    World Champs Road Race
    Bronze Olympics Team Pursuit
    Sliver ‘Empire’ games Individual Pursuit
    Plus podiums and top 10s in most of the other major classics like Roubaix, L-B-L, K-B-K, G-W & Fleche Wallone

Oh and BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

He was a world class rider.

teamslug
    Free Member

Great Thread…

1. Beryl
    2. Martyn Ashton
    3. Steve Peat

ekul
    Free Member

Has to be richmtbguru, formally of this parish.

Without him, none of the riders mentioned previously would have got to where they were. His tuition and mentoring paved the way for British cycling to become what it is today.

The word ‘Legend’ is bandied about too much nowadays. But he is someone that truly deserves such an accolade.

/End Thread

hilldodger
    Free Member

Has to be richmtbguru, formally of this parish…

..yeah that’s as maybe but Glupton, still of this parish but hiding under a different name, made them “eat dust”

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

How about ultra badass and all round good egg Hoppo?

http://ultracycling.com/sections/awards/ucd/hoppo/

epicyclo

dragon – Member
    Tom Simpson was hardly just another drugs death.
    …He was a world class rider.

If we have a Lance Armstrong section, maybe.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d suggest Chris Akrigg but I’m sure he’d disagree with me!

dragon
    Free Member

Oh FFS why bring Lance Armstrong into it the situation is completely different.

mudshark
    Free Member

Wiggins no doubt. Burton can be best British woman though.

martinxyz
    Free Member

‘Greatest cyclist’

I look at that in different ways. I thought Chris Hoy as he was successful when he was young with bike skills along with fitness to win BMX titles as well as all the other stuff that followed. Also for the same reasons, Jamie Staff.

For the skills and now a fitness that is unbelievable against the worlds best enduro racers, not forgetting the xc stint, I think Tracey Moseley has done really well. Not just rolling down the hills quick due to a bit of fitness and heaps of skill but has a huge amount of stamina for this enduro malarky.

Like I said, I see ‘greatest cyclist’ as someone that has speed,skill,strength and all sorts to become a great cyclist. Would I get flamed for mentioning Chris Akrigg if I look at greatest uk cyclist in this way?

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Who is the greatest UK cyclist?’ is closed to new replies.