Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • who is the biggest nerd geek on here
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

top trumps style

allthegear
    Free Member

Not sure. I now work for the Drupal Association, does that count??

Rachel

jimjam
    Free Member

People geek out on nerds now?

allthegear
    Free Member

Hopefully 😆

somafunk

For my interest in a particular hobby of mine I’m often referred to as “the geek”.

Quite happy with that 😀

Northwind

I’m a total nerd but I draw the line at geek

bigblackshed

Cougar

What BBS said. ^

I must surely be in the running here though.

Northwind

I would have swapped “geek” and “nerd” personally. But then again, I’m now taking issue with a venn diagram on the internet, so I think I just have to accept where I am put

sirromj

I would have swapped “geek” and “nerd” personally.

no you can be … oh. ummmm.

tjagain

I am a political geek – does that count? first thing I do every day is check a range of sources for political stories

SaxonRider

Having read the above, I am definitely mostly nerd with a hint of geek.

Superficial
    Free Member

That Venn diagram is so awesome. I don’t know if you’d call it one of the very first internet memes, but I remember seeing that yeeeears ago.

I’m pretty geeky I guess. I wouldn’t go as far as saying I’d take the word as a compliment, but it’s not insulting. Nerd, on the other hand is just an insult IMO.

Edit: I love the geek films :mrgreen:

enfht
    Free Member

first thing I do every day is check a range of sources for political stories

Guardian, BBC and Morning Star? 😆

tjagain

Not usually the morning star but thats not a bad mix. One rightwing, one centerist and one left wing

wwaswas

check a range of sources

See, that’s geeky. Because it makes it sound like there’s some secret hidden in there not available to ordinary mortals.

Whereas it’s probably a twitter feed, the bbc and a couple of sub-reddit’s 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I like trains, and spend more time talking about them on the internet than I do bikes these days.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

@bigblackshed:

great!

Appears like the Nerd is in some danger to become a Dweeb or Dork?

slowoldman

Well all I can see that would link me to either are
    Nerd – engineer
    Geek – mac and Donny Darko.

So probably neither.

retro83
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    Not sure. I now work for the Drupal Association, does that count??

Rachel

I’m not sure it does, if you work on it in your spare time for enjoyment then yes.

I have code in a few open source projects, ALSA, some GTK stuff, couple of Linux drivers etc but they were mostly just bug fixes for things that annoyed me, or hardware not being recognised properly.
    I didn’t sit down and work on those projects for enjoyment, it’s just I had a problem, knew how to fix it, so I did. I don’t think that’s too geeky.

I am a geek though, just not because of that 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, according to somafunk’s post I’m definitely more geek than nerd.
    Music geek doesn’t have the same ring to it though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Think Big Bang Theory (geeks) vs IT Crowd (nerds). I’m way more IT Crowd (and can laugh at the humour, unlike BBT).

DezB
    Free Member

Think Big Bang Theory (geeks) vs IT Crowd (nerds)

That’s the opposite to the graphic up there ^^

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sheldon fits the geek traits perfectly, Moss is more of a nerd.

I see the IT Crowd types as more socially inept than BBT, and BBT is all about a fountain of geek knowledge and film/TV/comic references (for some kind of vague comic effect), plus they use Macs.

DezB
    Free Member

Sheldon fits the geek traits perfectly, Moss is more of a nerd.

Yeah, true – looks to me like the films are round the wrong way though 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    plus they use Macs.

Actually, correcting myself… I just remembered Sheldon uses an Alienware laptop! 😮

Think they’ve got some sponsorship with Dell. Seem way more like Mac user types though.

IT Crowd though had Spectrums, BBC, C64s and even an Oric Atmos in the background (and nerd me for spotting them 😀 )

Torminalis
    Free Member

Nerds are so deeply immersed in their work that they don’t go to parties. Geeks are just socially awkward and don’t get invited to the parties in the first place.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m not sure it does, if you work on it in your spare time for enjoyment then yes.

Oh in that case, definitely yes, then – been contributing to Drupal core for years 😀

Rachel

miketually
    Free Member

I’m a physics teacher, with a Masters in IT. And I like real ale, and have a beard.

bigblackshed

My “social ineptitude” just went off the scale. DeadKenny just shortened Big Bang Theory to BBT, it took 30 seconds for my brain to stop going “what has Big Big Train (a very obscure prog rock band) got to do with The IT Crowd?”

*The “crowd” (audience) at a BBT gig falls somewhere in the Venn diagram up there.

sirromj

Big Bang Theory is a nerd time bomb, it beats bars, and ticks.

Cougar

DeadKenny just shortened Big Bang Theory to BBT,

Which is clearly wrong because it should be TBBT, there’s a “The” at the beginning.

Erm. What do I win?

bigblackshed

What do I win?

Teh Internetz

gauss1777
    Free Member

So this has made me think, am I a geek or a nerd? – but I’m neither really. I’d like to think I was a tad eccentric, but fear I’m just a weirdo!

Cougar

Teh Internetz

Yes!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg[/video]

swanny853

I would have swapped “geek” and “nerd” personally.

Which one does answering a copper based gardening question with allomancy put you in?

Northwind

Don’t have time to answer that properly, I’m in the middle of building a radio controlled car.

But also, you are stalky 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

In primary school, I spent two years writing educational software for the BBC Micro, that was then used across Strathclyde Region.

Does that count for anything?

Daffy

I just won a competition at the Kennedy Space Centre which tested your knowledge of weird NASA facts.

Got me a jacket and everything.

#powernerd.

swanny853

But also, you are stalky

Given the evidence, I guess I have to admit- at least a little. But it amused me at the time and it was pretty much the first thing that came to mind.

I’ve just packed the raspberry pi, leds and wires away…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘who is the biggest nerd geek on here’ is closed to new replies.