Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Who is the best UK bike rider?
  • Smee
    Free Member

If they were to all have a go at each others discipline who would be the best all rounder?

My money is on Cav.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

nah its me

slowrider
    Free Member

isnt he a bit of a one trick pony? though with a bit of practice he might make a wicked 4x rider

Smee
    Free Member

I am going for him because he has the endurance, speed and apparently ridiculously good bike handling skills.

st

Doubt I'll be the only one to say this but surely Peaty would have the potential. He had a pretty accomplished XC racing career in his early days.

ton

nick craig

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

What are the rules of your competition? And are you including Trials?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I reckon it would be someone like Dan Atherton. Can handle a bike really well, uber fit and pretty good power to weight ratio I would have thought.

tails
    Free Member

gee atherton?

Smee
    Free Member

Rules – what rules? Include whatever the hell you want. Fixie ballet might be taking it a bit far though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dan or Gee Atherton for sure, class at downhill but probably have the strength and fitness to be ok at xc or road stuff. They are also pretty good at bmx riding, dirt jumping and Id imagine they could ride trials too.

Id imagine all the road/xc riders will be **** at anything that involves ome sort of technical ability over fitness

Smee
    Free Member

59ttp – I'm not so sure about the road/xc riders being crap technically. Having watched some of them at close quarters this year they have phenomenal amounts of skill. Hmmm Killeen might be a winner too.

Olly
    Free Member

me

BoardinBob

MBUK did a range of fitness tests on a range of different discipline mountain bikers (trials, DH, XC, dirt jump) and I'm pretty sure Peaty came out on top in most areas they tested and came out top overall

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

59ttp – I'm not so sure about the road/xc riders being crap technically. Having watched some of them at close quarters this year they have phenomenal amounts of skill. Hmmm Killeen might be a winner too.

Yeh maybe not crap, but give em a bmx and ask them to get through a set of 25 foot doubles, I'd doubt whether many would be able to do it.

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

Elbry

BoardinBob

I'm not so sure about the road/xc riders being crap technically.

I'd be pretty confident that a top DH rider would give a good performance on the road, but I don't think it would work the other way automatically.

Fitness aside, I don't think the roadies would have the balls for DH stuff straight away.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Chris Akrigg

matthew_h
    Free Member

Actually, Chris Akrigg is a very good shout having seen him race XC and DH

grumm
    Free Member

Its between Elbry and Richie McCoy imo.

Though really maybe Gee Atherton. I'd have thought Andy Barlow would do ok as well.

adt
    Free Member

sorry but it would be Ian Wilkinson all day

deus

Jamie Staff for the win.

World champ in BMX and on the track

adt
    Free Member
    iDave
    Free Member

truth is prob liam killeen. rides motocross, can handle a bike, top at XC, think he's in the sky road team, small chap but would like to see him on a DH rig.

JamieMc
    Free Member

i'll second Andy Barlow

adt
    Free Member

Killeen has a big engine but not really proved himself on the road yet

adt
    Free Member

Andy Barlow leave it out mate

Smee
    Free Member

I can see where the Andy Barlow thing is coming from – first class DH rider in XC clothing.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

3rd akrigg – trials, XC, DH, and i bet hes pretty handy on the road – great all-rounder imo. reckon most of the others would fall apart on the trials section of a comp, or at least have more of a disadvantage on them than akrigg would have in the other disciplines.

andy barlow might be up there in a scottish context, but not so sure UK wide. imo of course (and i know he is a HELL of a lot better than me…!)

grumm
    Free Member

I only said I thought me might do ok – based on being scottish xc champ and pretty handy at DH plus a former BMXer etc

cannondaleking
    Free Member

has been so long that everyones forgoten the man the legend that is
    JASON MCROY aka JMC http://www.jasonmcroy.com/jmc/index.php he rode for the joy of riding came back from impossable odds and won everything he entered rest in peice my man and injoy the trails in the sky

langy
    Free Member

you're just lucky I live overseas…. 🙄

I'm going Gee Atherton at this moment in time…

wonnyj
    Free Member

Wasn't it the bloke who won the Singletrack Lee Quarry event back in the summer? Surely that has to be the definitive all round biker event. And he rode the transwales…

Don't think many DHers would stand a chance against some of the XCers, let alone the roadies. Didn't know the Liam Killean road MX tho, he could be in with a shout.

singlecrack
    Free Member

JMC all the way

retro83
    Free Member

Chris Akrigg
    good rider in all mountain disciplines (including brakeless trials)

Big-M
    Free Member

Craig Hardie… Scottish Cross Champ, XC winner, DH winner, road racer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Elbry, surely?

MrAgreeable

Elbry does indeed have the laid back rock star style over the big acid drops, but I'm going with Gee – DH, 4X, plus he's had a bash at slopestyle competitions and the Mega and didn't disgrace himself.

Dan or Gee Atherton. They would probably get blown away on the track and road by people who ride those disciplines, but would still finish in one piece, which I think is more than could be said for some of the XC/track/road riders on a DH course or BMX track.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

which I think is more than could be said for some of the XC/track/road riders on a DH course or BMX track.

"some" being the key word Mike. Plenty of top road and track sprinters have a BMX background. My money however would be on Killeen at the moment.

Or Elbry

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Who is the best UK bike rider?’ is closed to new replies.